Bumper mount spare and boat launching

ultraclyde

Observer
I'm considering at some point in the future (i.e. not soon) moving the spare from inside my ZJ to a bumper mount. One of the main duties for the truck, though, is towing and launching my vintage trihull boat. It seems like the standard rear swing out would be troublesome for boat launches. It blocks a good bit of rear view and a full width swing out won't clear the winch post on the boat trailer. Also, at a narrow ramp I wouldn't want to swing it out and lock it 90* from the vehicle in order to back down. I think a half width swing with a lock position that points straight back might work, but I think might still limit maneuverability and vision.

Anyone else running a big rear spare and launching a boat? What's your solution?

ultraclyde

Observer
Hmm. Good point. The boat's light though - maybe 2k lbs with trailer, and I'd bet the tongue weight is under 150lbs because I can dead lift it. Still, something to think about.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Can your lift gate / hatch clear the trailer winch tower? I'm guessing not, so why worry about the swing out opening? I'm of the opinion that you should be able to back a trailer with your mirrors only, so removing some visibility from the rear shouldn't ruin you. Just set up some cones and practice for an hour. You'll have a life skill in no time at all and can confidently add whatever bumper and tire carrier you want.

ultraclyde

Observer
Can your lift gate / hatch clear the trailer winch tower? I'm guessing not, so why worry about the swing out opening? I'm of the opinion that you should be able to back a trailer with your mirrors only, so removing some visibility from the rear shouldn't ruin you. Just set up some cones and practice for an hour. You'll have a life skill in no time at all and can confidently add whatever bumper and tire carrier you want.

The liftgate clears nicely, actually. I agree about backing a trailer using mirrors, and I can. I can back trailers into places that terrify most people. Hell I have to back it down a driveway around a blind corner through a gate and into a garage next to a nice Mustang any time I come home. But. Getting a boat backed in to just the right depth is problematic even under the best circumstances. Cutting almost all the rear visibility with a spare tire isn't something I'm willing to deal with if there's an option. Add in the general craziness you often see at a public ramp (kids, dogs, idiots who can't handle a boat OR trailer) and I'm not comfortable compromising my vision to that extent.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
You get used to it. While I don't have a spare blocking my view, on my Ram with the camper top, visibility through the rear is nonexistent at night in the mornings launching my boat. Just use your mirrors. Any boat larger than 25ft or so is too tall to see anything through the rear window anyway and people back those down ramps all the time.

rickc

Adventurer
Look at a Wilco Hitchgate; it plugs into your Hitch but has a hitch of its own. There are several models and some have a choice of height of tire fitment. Mine is called a "Classic Offset". With the tire on I can still use my camera.

Attachments

• 2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset rear 2.jpg
    2016 colorado wilco hitchgate classic offset rear 2.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 15

Boatbuilder79

I'm considering at some point in the future (i.e. not soon) moving the spare from inside my ZJ to a bumper mount. One of the main duties for the truck, though, is towing and launching my vintage trihull boat. It seems like the standard rear swing out would be troublesome for boat launches. It blocks a good bit of rear view and a full width swing out won't clear the winch post on the boat trailer. Also, at a narrow ramp I wouldn't want to swing it out and lock it 90* from the vehicle in order to back down. I think a half width swing with a lock position that points straight back might work, but I think might still limit maneuverability and vision.

Anyone else running a big rear spare and launching a boat? What's your solution?

Just use your side mirrors.

Explorerinil

Observer
You get used to it. While I don't have a spare blocking my view, on my Ram with the camper top, visibility through the rear is nonexistent at night in the mornings launching my boat. Just use your mirrors. Any boat larger than 25ft or so is too tall to see anything through the rear window anyway and people back those down ramps all the time.
I agree! I pull a Boston whaler during the summer months, I just use my mirrors because the back of my truck is full of gear or fishing stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz