C4500 Ambulance Camper

baggio95

Appreciate the info on the torque specs and lug size. I'll keep digging to confirm the 400 ft lbs

At first glance it doesn't look like I have the leveling valves I've seen on other rigs. I'll start by pulling the compressor off and then tracking the lines with a spray bottle.

I'd definitely be interested to hear how the lift pump install was and your thoughts on it after running it. I might have to add that to my list.

KD702

I have a question for anyone that might know......I have found a 2008 Dodge 3500 4x4 ambulance. it has 45,000 Miles on the Cummings Diesel. Belongs to a small town service so it does not have a lot of hours on the motor that were not driving hours. It has been their second/back up rig for 3-4 years and they are now replacing it. I can get it for a really good price. The problem I am having is getting it insured. Am Fam and Progressive will not touch it. Does not make much sense in buying it if I can't get it insured.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I gave them the vin and they said they will not insure it because it was an ambulance/commercial vehicle.

KD

baggio95

You have to call the Commercial Division at Progressive. I called numerous companies and Progressive Commercial was the cheapest by about 50% and all my other vehicles and motorcycles are with a different company. You don't have to say it's a ambulance box, just give them the VIN and it will come up as an "incomplete vehicle" and you can just say there's a box mounted to the frame. They don't really care and they are one of the few companies that is okay with changing it over to an RV policy if you meet your state's requirements to do that. PM me if you're going to pass on it as I'm curious.

I know theres a way that you can get a large "commercial style" vehicles re-registered as an RV or Motorhome. I'm not sure whats involved in the process, but I know I was looking at an F800 with a DIY camper that was registered as an RV.

Try Safeco insurance.

I did register mine in NY as an RV.
Did you need to prove anything to them? Or they just took your word for it? I'm planning to build my rig so that the habitat is removable and either sitting on top of a flat bed or at the very least replaceable with a one. It would be purely for personal use for example, moving large items or loads that would otherwise be a PITA, moving personal or family/friends vehicles if needed, etc. I'm wondering what the logistics would be like god forbid you got into an accident with the habitat removed.

ExpoMike

Did you need to prove anything to them? Or they just took your word for it? I'm planning to build my rig so that the habitat is removable and either sitting on top of a flat bed or at the very least replaceable with a one. It would be purely for personal use for example, moving large items or loads that would otherwise be a PITA, moving personal or family/friends vehicles if needed, etc. I'm wondering what the logistics would be like god forbid you got into an accident with the habitat removed.

Likely depends on the state. In CA, when I converted my previous Ram with FWC over to an RV title, it meant I could NOT haul anything, not even a spare tire in the bed if the camper was not installed. Now the likelihood this would ever become an issue was very low but it was a legal requirement. Nice thing is it removed the weight fee from my registration, which eliminated $220 per year in fees.

Likely depends on the state. In CA, when I converted my previous Ram with FWC over to an RV title, it meant I could NOT haul anything, not even a spare tire in the bed if the camper was not installed. Now the likelihood this would ever become an issue was very low but it was a legal requirement. Nice thing is it removed the weight fee from my registration, which eliminated $220 per year in fees.
Thats interesting, I wonder how thats enforced, if at all, and if it would create an issue in the event of an accident.

cjken

Explorer

Well, I did it during the height of Covid when DMV was closed. Did through the mail. Enclosed the print out of the requirements for RV with the applicable ones highlighted. Thought they might question it, but a few weeks later it came back exactly how I wanted it.
My previous one I did in person and it was smooth as well.

I feel like if you are over 10,000lbs GVWR in NY there are more hoops to jump through in terms of usage rules.

My town has some weird rules about parking commercial vehicles in driveway over night over a certain weight. As an RV it is no problem though. I got hassled with my smaller Ambo until I switched the reg from commercial to RV. I registered the bigger one as RV right away and had mo problems.

Brewdiak

kodiak conversionator
technically in washington state i think we're supposed to get an inspection showing that there's a restroom, heat, maybe a kitchen of some sort, to register as an RV.

funny when i got mine i thought i needed a DOT number to enable me to register it in WA as a commercial vehicle, then once i converted it i'd go back and get it changed to an RV/MH. Then when I was at the DMV (long before covid) the lady was confused, called over her supervisor, who then asked 'why are you doing that why not just register it now as a MH?' .. . hah, so that's what we did. Unfortunately I still get emails about my DOT number, truck insurance, etc and can't seem to convince FMCSA etc that I'm not a trucking company (even though that number is long expired).

i also have a progressive CMV insurance, but still plan to contact a local agent to try and get a cheaper/better policy that covers it for what it is (worth a lot more than what Progressive has it at)

cjken

Explorer
A few pics from my Fla trip!!
Gonna try to upgrade the front seats this spring.

b846e60cf00d55eec9c549664340cbd1.jpg

c5013630e925d039d9d21cd70ee1d63f.jpg

033f08e14ce9f835f77d96e254c8c995.jpg

c95c7e5882e41b7ea51e0f64d44a3cd5.jpg

38c6050ae6f03868a364c35d64be8991.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Damn, that is one talented dog!
Almost perfectly between the parking lines backing a huge truck like that. Most people can't do that well in their compact cars.
Who is a good dog! ?
dogpark.jpg

baggio95

Nice, looking good! That's some good mileage for a roadtrip. I saw you did new shocks. What's your impression of the wheels/tires/shocks after this trip?

cjken

Explorer
Nice, looking good! That's some good mileage for a roadtrip. I saw you did new shocks. What's your impression of the wheels/tires/shocks after this trip?

I’m pretty happy with the current suspension. I was thinking of doing Deavers springs up front, but don’t see an immediate need. It rides nicely enough as is. Not saying I will never make changes to the suspension, but I have other projects to work on for the time being.
The tires themselves are a bit more compliant than the stock 19.5 rocks!!! I feel like the spring upgrade would be more necessary if running 19.5 rims and commercial grade tires.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94