C5500 Mobile Command Family overlander

Korey H

Which VanTech parts did you end up ordering? I want to do the same thing on a C4500. That front bumper is great.

Hi sorry just saw this.

I ordered from Eurocampers and got the H3233xB which is for a Sprinter. It was $230 last year then I made an aluminum plate for the top. Their ladders are also great, have one on our sprinter. Look for a discount code or promo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Korey H

We’ll on our last journey I had a cell fail in our battery system. Swung through Nashville and my supplier replaced the cell. While there, I went ahead and bought another four cells.

Also while doing this decided to move the batteries from the unconditioned under box into the habitat. Nearly completed. Went from two BMS/ separate batteries to one big 4s3p configuration with a 300a Daly BMS. Now with Bluetooth and a temp sensor.

Last year we spent 126 nights in the rig. Planning to surpass that this year, if not this winter / spring.
42fc689d611c2b0c6188c3cced23e28b.jpg

Korey H

We’ll on our last journey I had a cell fail in our battery system. Swung through Nashville and my supplier replaced the cell. While there, I went ahead and bought another four cells.

Also while doing this decided to move the batteries from the unconditioned under box into the habitat. Nearly completed. Went from two BMS/ separate batteries to one big 4s3p configuration with a 300a Daly BMS. Now with Bluetooth and a temp sensor.

Last year we spent 126 nights in the rig. Planning to surpass that this year, if not this winter / spring.
42fc689d611c2b0c6188c3cced23e28b.jpg

This is now a 840 ah 12 v system. I know I coulda / shoulda gone 24 or 48v; but, remember this began as a mobile command unit. It already had the monster 3/0 awg wire and a 12v / 3000w inverter.

Last edited:

Korey H

1cf41359ee7190787a9e63fea4969b4a.jpg

Largest vehicle recovery I’ve been involved in. This beast made an incredible journey from AK to MO only to get buried in a temporary parking spot. The winch worked quite well at one point pulling my nearly 10t truck forward.

Korey H

11ddfc37f62a89be76833db21cd8bc08.jpg

The bus now lives at our farm for the foreseeable. Interesting it has a 7kw solar array and machine shop (15kw of solar on our shed shown above powers 80% of our farm - wow). It’s owner is just incredible.

motorman

126 nights . . . WOW
can you provide a breakdown of where you stayed? BLM, Baja (obviously) NF

so for us w/ 4x4 rigs or considering a conversion:

how many times did you engage your front axle?
how many times were you stuck?
and did you use traction mats or winch for self recovery?

Korey H

126 nights . . . WOW
can you provide a breakdown of where you stayed? BLM, Baja (obviously) NF

so for us w/ 4x4 rigs or considering a conversion:

how many times did you engage your front axle?
how many times were you stuck?
and did you use traction mats or winch for self recovery?

Hi. We’ve been meaning to put together a travel map of our journeys and just haven’t gotten it done. We’re from MO and on the first trip went out through CO, Moab, SW UT and most of the natl parks, down past Vegas, Joshua tree then a month in Baja, came back hitting NW AR for a week. That trip we were able to off grid boondock the vast majority of the trip (it’s what we prefer).

The last trip we ran over through KY, OH, then north crossing VT, NH, ME then down the east to VA to Shenandoah and south through the Blue Ridge and back across TN. With that trip we did find some boondocking but spent a lot of time at Harvest Hosts and Boondocker welcome sights.

On the Baja journey I commonly engaged the 4x out of caution. Never stuck though was pretty careful as we had no additional vehicles with us and once we were in the dessert not many anchors either.

The NE journey felt much more urban : campground like overall especially once we got south of Maine. I engaged the 4x maybe 3x. Once was just to get out after sinking partially in a harvest host pasture. High clearance was very useful on both trips a number of times.

Winch and traction boards have been used only to recover others.

I’ve rolled overall pretty cautious since we’re unsupported. I’d love to find another overland rig to roll with so I can test capability more. While vehicle recovery used to be a good time nowadays I think it less so with four kids in the truck on our way to somewhere.

Side note on the northeast trip size was a detriment as we were turned around a number of times due to height (11,4”) or weight (19,500). We leave again soon this time for central and southern Mexico potential Belize / Guatemala. I’ll be watching the low power lines closely as well as the narrow back streets of towns.

Korey H

f2e418f1bb11c695b412ce46a5436e9d.jpg

Last minute edits. Bungees in electric terminals should keep the cabinet shelves contents in place.

motorman

thanks for the details on your travels
so west of the MS is no problems, good to hear
at 'only' 11'4" you are still smaller than most big rigs
great job and looking forward to seeing the next leg of adventure
'

Korey H

ef9a8bac58b987991d61c7a5a2cfa86d.jpg

Good times here in Port Lavaca tx. Cracked wheel. No impact just a metal / fabrication failure. Thankfully found an awesome tire and welding shop.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Good times here in Port Lavaca tx. Cracked wheel. No impact just a metal / fabrication failure. Thankfully found an awesome tire and welding shop.
:oops: No impact just a metal / fabrication failure:oops:

WOW. Sorry to hear that. :cry: I thought that a big selling point of 1st Attack is they were DOT certified and used by government agencies? It seems there were old thread(s) on the Portal saying 1st Attack got their wheels from Buckstop, but I could not find that/those in a search. Are they DOT certified? Man, Super Single Wheels sure seem to be the bain of Kodiak

Korey H

I can’t recall on the DOT. He does do mostly government trucks I believe. He did say it’s only happened once before. Welder seems to have gotten it fixed.

Reactions: mog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94