Cab Electrical mods?

ohiobenz

I have a US LMTV, not a Mog, but as I'm building the conversion to an Expedition Camper I'm currently on the cab.
What modifications, electrical specifically, have you made?
I'm thinking of adding a 12vdc accessory power box for future stuff - Ham, CB, stereo, dome lights etc.
So before I sound proof the cab what should I pre-plan wiring for?

Iain_U1250

Explorer
It all depends on what you want, I have a lot of electrical accessories, and run mulitple conduits from the dasjm under the truck and up the rear wall, abd I have three fuse boxes, two linked to the house batteries and on the truck battery, another off a 100A solid state relay connected to the accessories position on the ignition switch for the two a/c units, cameras, TPMS, and a whole load of other accessories. Behind the dash is a mass of wires and sensors etc, DSC05897.jpg

s.e.charles

… building the conversion to an Expedition Camper I'm currently on the cab.
… thinking of adding a 12vdc accessory power box for future... what should I pre-plan wiring for?

I think a couple of "future" conduits going in different directions are always a good inclusion. not split loom, but something a bit more substantial with a snake wire anchored at both ends for the inevitable switchleg or power feed.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
When you do your wiring, always make sure you have a fuse for the power supply. I have some heavy current distribution boxes, and each of the supplies to the fuse box has a fuse that is rated at 50% of the rating of the wire, that way the fuse should blow a long time before wire gets hot enough to melt or catch fire. I have seen loads of electrical fires, through mainly poor installation, but if you have a camper truck, your are likely to be driving on the corrugated roads and that will find the weak spot in any installation. Even if is it just flex through fatigue, if a wire breaks and shorts out, the only way to protect it from causing a fire is a properly rated fuse.

Roverchef

Adventurer
I have a US LMTV, not a Mog, but as I'm building the conversion to an Expedition Camper I'm currently on the cab.
What modifications, electrical specifically, have you made?
I'm thinking of adding a 12vdc accessory power box for future stuff - Ham, CB, stereo, dome lights etc.
So before I sound proof the cab what should I pre-plan wiring for?
Don't just stab off of 1 of the batteries to run your 12v system or you'll eat that battery over time. Install 24v/12v inverters or build an entire separate 12v system. Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke