CAISOB 2012 Tacoma Overland Build

LMarshall73

Adventurer
How do you like the Trasharoo on your tailgate? Can you use it with the gate open or only closed?

I like it. I'll be happier when I get my new rear bumper with swingout tire carrier though. With the tailgate down, the bag is horizontal, but you can still toss trash in there. I haven't had anything fall out, unless it is getting close to being full.

LMarshall73

Adventurer
So, after doing my winch install and relocating my lightbar, I found that the lightbar was trying to communicate with aliens.

27728430589_1d2b2fdea4_b.jpg

[video]https://youtu.be/wZj7gUIO-2k?t=5s[/video]

I replaced it with 3x 12" bars
27728430549_743f99f241_b.jpg

25634640138_73d39c4a28_b.jpg

LMarshall73

Adventurer
I like that it is lighter than a plate bumper. The Pelfreybilt unit is pretty stout and well built. I did opt for synthetic line, which might not be the best for Florida (sand can degrade the fibers), but I like the weight savings and plan on washing the line regularly. Plus, I've had winches with steel rope before and the salt in the air here wreaks havoc on it.

I looked at other winch mounting options as well (US Offroad & SOS Streamline in particular). Ultimately, I went with the one with the lowest cost and quickest delivery timeline (Pelfreybilt had the unit in stock, ready to ship).

LMarshall73

Adventurer
So, after all a considerable amount of internal debate, I decided that my best long term camping solution would be either a RTT or a good ground tent. With my tax refund pending, I was leaning more towards a ground tent since I would have felt more comfortable mounting a RTT on a professionally built bed rack than on my unistrut rack. While looking at and researching Kodiak Flex Bows, a fellow Tacomaworld member mentioned he was considering selling his rack and tent. We talked a bit, and when the time came he was ready to sell and I was ready to buy. I ended up scoring an AllPro rack and Smittybilt Overlander tent for a screaming deal.

I mounted my Amazon awning and reconfigured my camping light pods to work with the new rack, and I'm pretty happy with the finished result.
IMG_7788 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

IMG_7789 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

LMarshall73

Adventurer
A handful of updates. The swingout on the rear bumper obstructed the reverse camera (well, the spare tire did), so I relocated the camera using a bracket from @pelfreybilt . I also added a set of OEM style roof racks from eBay, then cobbled together some lengths of unistrut that I had laying around to attach my Plano case and traction boards to it. I also mounted a set of LCA skids from 4xInnovations and IFS and mid skids from SOS Offroad Concepts. I've got a transfer case skid from SOS as well that I will be mounting soon.

Roof Rack:
IMG_7812 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7814 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

SOS IFS skid and 4xInnovations LCA skids
IMG_7815 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

SOS mid skid
IMG_7817 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

LMarshall73

Adventurer
Got my Trasharoo mounted on the spare tire. I had to order some webbing hardware since I had trimmed the straps (like a dummy) when I was hanging it from my tailgate. If you need webbing or slides, Strapworks.com has my vote. I ordered on Thursday and it was the package was in my mailbox at 11am this morning. From Oregon to Florida. Not too shabby! I also dodged some showers and got my SOS transfer case skid mounted up, then went to play on a couple of local trails. After that, I headed to a parking lot to do a chalk test. I had been putting it off until I had all of the armor mounted. I ended up at 40psi in the fronts and 30psi in the rears, which seems a little low for all the weight I'm carrying...

IMG_7827 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7828 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7829 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7830 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7831 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7832 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

LMarshall73

Adventurer
Went out and did some wheeling and camping over the weekend. Met up with a small group on Saturday and enjoyed what Citrus WMA had to offer.
IMG_7846 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
Fun way to start the day Saturday - responding to an SOS from Captain Morgan...
20180519_094126 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7848 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7859 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7878 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7899 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
IMG_7903 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180518_174512 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

LMarshall73

Adventurer
Yesterday and this morning - Upgraded my comms. I had been using a Midland 75-822 and had a Baofeng UV-5RTP for scanning duties. I recently switched from a 4' Firestik back to an old 102" whip which boosted the hell out of the performance of the Midland. I decided to go with dedicated mobile rigs for both. Cobra 25 WX NW ST for CB and BTECH UV-25X2 for UHF/VHF.
20180526_173339 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Earlier today, I swapped wheels and tires with a Tacomaworld member and joined the dirty-five club
20180526_135120 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Parked next to a stock Taco at Advance Auto Parts
20180526_160652 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

LMarshall73

Adventurer
So, I have been trying to sort out interior storage/organization and found a couple of good ideas of replacing the rear 60 seat with a flip-up platform. Before I ran to Home Depot to get the items I needed to do the deed, I went through the garage to see what I already had on hand. That's when I spied the pallet that my SOS skids had been delivered on. I decided to repurpose the pallet for the platform!
20180527_112410 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180527_123959 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Not too shabby if I say so myself. I've got stuff that I should rarely need under the platform (jumper cables & tools accessible by flipping up the 40 seat, bags with bungee cords & ratchet straps accessible by opening the passenger door). I still want to seal it and add some tie down points to strap down my cooler and other gear that will be back there.

I also met my wit's end yesterday with the craptastic velcro straps on the Smittybilt RTT. I had one strap come loose twice in 5 minutes yesterday, so I rigged a bungee cord to hold the strap in place. Today, I cut off the original straps and replaced them with mil-spec webbing and buckles that I attached to the bed rack. I need to pick up some more tri-glide slides to finish up the webbing management, but I'm much happier with it now.
20180527_133941 by lmarshall73, on Flickr
20180527_133932 by lmarshall73, on Flickr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles