Callen campers back business?

chet6.7

Explorer
It looks great,hope it works well for you.I had one on my last truck and would have put one on my current truck if they were in business at the time I needed a shell.

Looks great! I have a “new to me” 2002 Chevy 2500HD XC 4X4 LB and I’ve been looking hard at what to do for the camper set-up. Your build has reminded me about the Callen option. Couple of questions: 1) Is it insulated and if so, with what material? 2) Did you specify the windows in the doors? Thanks in advance for your response. :sombrero:

Spaffypd

It is insulated. I believe its just fiberglass insulation between the exterior aluminum and interior wood paneling.

I had mine set up pretty standard; only a couple inches taller and a couple inches longer on the cabover. The roof rack was extra too. I also had them install a fantastic fan instead of just a vent. The windows are standard in the rear doors but it can be built to your specs with or without. Ive even seen them with one door, hinges, the one they built before mine was designed to fit with the tailgate on (like a fold down patio for the double doors) I believe it was for a Tundra.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have new info regarding Callen other than what is stated above? Is he still in El Cajon or does he do it out of his garage now?

Spaffypd

He is based out of his home workshop in Lakeside now -as more of a side business in his retirement. I still see his ads on San Diego Craigslist.

Still loving mine- I just need to find more time to go out... been working way too much.

the_bobman

Same Callen Camper, priced to sell-- now $1700

That's right, the Callen ConKso posted above.... but now I'm the one selling it and I've cut the price! (It's still the same great camper but I'm ConKso's old man. He's moving up to a new rig and I'm reluctantly letting the Callen go.)

Follow the original link in ConKso's post to learn all about this fantastic deal! And see LOTS of photos.

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
It is insulated. I believe its just fiberglass insulation between the exterior aluminum and interior wood paneling.

I had mine set up pretty standard; only a couple inches taller and a couple inches longer on the cabover. The roof rack was extra too. I also had them install a fantastic fan instead of just a vent. The windows are standard in the rear doors but it can be built to your specs with or without. Ive even seen them with one door, hinges, the one they built before mine was designed to fit with the tailgate on (like a fold down patio for the double doors) I believe it was for a Tundra.

I picked up a radius corner cab high Callen at a camper place for my '89 Chevy 3500. This was back then for $500 brand new.
The guy's wife couldn't see out the back. I've had three of them.

Tsteele760

Hi Richard,

I PM'd you Jim's cell phone number

Hey BajaSurfRig:

I am looking to get in touch with Jim Callen on building a camper for my Super Duty 4x4. I have been unable to locate a business phone number that works, any help with getting me in contact with him would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
He is based out of his home workshop in Lakeside now -as more of a side business in his retirement. I still see his ads on San Diego Craigslist.

Still loving mine- I just need to find more time to go out... been working way too much.
Is his son Scott helping?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste