Callen campers back business?

westranger29

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

I was over at the Callen's house in Lakeside yesterday getting my used Callen tuned up and mounted. I was in contact with Jim to set up the appointment and everything went really smooth. They mounted my camper with six bolts, wired up all of my lights and adjusted my barn doors so they are solid for $175. Jim was kind enough to share some pork tamales and hung around to talk story while his son Scott took care of me. We talked about Baja of the past and present and it was cool to hear both of their stories. I also got to take a look at a new shell they had just finished for an 8' fullsize and it was beautiful. If you want to get set up with the best shell for Baja from a local family that knows whats up give them a call and they will take care of you.

Thanks!

Matt

Hey Bajasurfrig, sent you a pm inquiring about some further details. Love your set up btw, exactly what Ive been looking to do with my tacoma.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Damn I hope so. I just bought a used one for $350 down in Murrieta and I'll need parts!

Parts are all standard RV/Shell industry parts. Except for something like the roof rack bar, there's nothing you need Callen specifically to replace.

I bought a radius sided one brand new for $500 for my '89 Chevy 3500.
It was at Valley Campers in Escondido. The prior owner's wife couldn't see out the rear windows.
I had a couple others also.
Hopefully,with Jim's oversight the quality will come back.

My impression was that it wasn't quality that suffered. It was operational dependability. You couldn't trust that the son would have the doors open or that he'd get the work done on time. He was also pretty difficult to deal with.

I remember when I bought mine used, it was on the Callen lot. While it was there, I asked him for a quote to fix some interior panels. He got cranky and said, "I'll have to remove this whole panel and replace it. That would be a lot of work." I'm like that's right, and I want to know how much you'll charge to do it. But he obviously didn't want any work, so I just moved on. A small sample of what others have dealt with.

Has anyone contacted Jim Callen yet? I am hoping to get them to freshen up my rear barn doors and install a ladder on my driver side one. Reading about their past customer service issues is making me nervous to be the guinea pig haha.

The stories I've heard say that while Jim got ******** done, he wasn't a peach to deal with either.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
When I got my popup I left my Callen at their lot for sale on consignment. Driving by on the freeway I saw my camper on another truck. I called Jim up and said what's the deal?
He replied,'I mounted it on the truck for a demo test' or something to that effect. I got my buckeroos the next day. A bit unethical and grouchy at times but the campers were coming out pretty nice.

Spaffypd

New to the forum. I thought I'd share what info I have here. I just went down, placed and order, and put a deposit down for a new Callen Camper. When I went there he had one about to be picked up for a Toyota Tundra. It was exactly what I was looking for, for my truck. Hopefully all goes smoothly. I will update this thread with progress/pics/ info as I get it. Mine will be going on a '16 Ram 2500 4wd Reg cab/long bed. It will have a 44" sidewall height/ 32" cabover length + roof rack.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Spaffypd

Any update on your Callen?

Callen's ads keep popping up on Craigslist.
I've tried calling them, but they don't answer the phone or return phone calls.
Hope yours is progressing...

Last edited:

Spaffypd

No update yet. I was given a 12 week timeframe on my shell when I went down there.

I will be giving them a call this week or early next week and will update with any new info as I get it.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Got it. Wow, 12 weeks. I guess word is out he's making shells...
Stoked you got in

Thanks. Saw that Callen just reposted the ad.

I'll try calling again. Hopefully the numbers correct

Spaffypd

Just spoke with Callen yesterday. 3-4 week timeline for my camper. He was in Colorado for a month; which he had told me about when I ordered my shell. He's retired but is making shells on a limited basis as he feels like it or wants the extra money.

He should be in town now for a call. [08/20/17]

Spaffypd

Well, I finally pick up my brand new Callen shell yesterday! [10/18/2017] It's exactly what I was looking for and I couldn't be more happy with it! To recap my last post it's a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Tradesman Reg Cab/Long bed I spec'd it at 44inch sidewall height- to fit my tallest motorcycle/couple extra inches standing height, and 32 inch cabover. Now I just have to set up a little bed, get a fridge wired up with some solar panels, and some slightly more aggressive tires.

10xu4wh.jpg

ixxsty.jpg

33estxy.jpg

1zy8pyb.jpg

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Well, I finally pick up my brand new Callen shell yesterday! [10/18/2017] It's exactly what I was looking for and I couldn't be more happy with it! To recap my last post it's a 2016 Ram 2500 4x4 6.4 Tradesman Reg Cab/Long bed I spec'd it at 44inch sidewall height- to fit my tallest motorcycle/couple extra inches standing height, and 32 inch cabover. Now I just have to set up a little bed, get a fridge wired up with some solar panels, and some slightly more aggressive tires.

10xu4wh.jpg

ixxsty.jpg

33estxy.jpg

1zy8pyb.jpg

Reminds me of my 2nd gen and Callen. They don't put much of a coating on the rack so plan on pulling it off(I used 4" pvc pipe to roll it of),sanding it and painting it with Rustoleum or something else. Powdercoating wold be ideal but probably cost prohibitive. They made me a door ladder which worked great for accessing the top.
Looks great bud.

FJR Colorado

Explorer

10xu4wh.jpg

ixxsty.jpg

33estxy.jpg

1zy8pyb.jpg

That is awesome. Congrats!!

I really want one of these. I almost feel like buying a new truck and driving to San Diego...

I wonder what one would cost for a new Tundra?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste