Camp BBQ decisions... please provide feedback

mmccurdy

Adventurer
I have a Cadac Safari Chef and a Pit-2-Go, and a buddy of mine has one of those re-branded stainless steel Igloo's referred to above.

19f66ee8-ab4a-4400-ac1d-13e744491626.jpg

The Cadac wins for overall portability and versatility -- downsides are that the regulator that it came with was crap (they may have fixed this in later revs), the cooking surface is relatively small, and it's gas only. Not much more to say about this one that hasn't been covered in the other thread.

I wouldn't bother with this one. My buddy has one (not Igloo branded, but looks identical -- from West Marine IIRC), and it cooks unevenly and somehow manages to extinguish itself regularly if there is a hint of wind. It's also relatively bulky, but it does have a large cooking surface and a lid.

I love the Pit-2-Go. I've had it for a little over a year, and it lives outside and set up most of the time since we grill and make fires frequently. It is holding up very well (surface rust where the powder coat is gone from the heat, but it is very stout -- no concerns with the longevity of it). It has a relatively large cooking surface, and we've used it to cook over charcoal briquettes and lumps as well as wood fires. It's somewhat heavy, but very compact when folded. Obviously no propane option, but I have actually considered trying to retrofit with a burner somehow... IMO this would make it just about perfect.... got me thinking again just now...

Anyway, nice thread, good luck with your search.

CJCA

Adventurer
Anyone use a Son of Hibachi?

http://www.sonofhibachi.com/

There's not a lot of information out there on it. It has a half dozen good reviews on Amazon and its not expensive relatively speaking, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. What I find interesting is that it is available with a battery operated rottisserie attachment. I have to wonder though how well it works as it is powered by a single D cell battery.

kb7our

Explorer
There's not a lot of information out there on it. It has a half dozen good reviews on Amazon and its not expensive relatively speaking, which can be a good thing or a bad thing. What I find interesting is that it is available with a battery operated rottisserie attachment. I have to wonder though how well it works as it is powered by a single D cell battery.

The SoH is an excellent little grill and you really "can" put it away hot inside the bag and go. Very sturdy, easy to use, but small cooking surface. Probably would last a lifetime. I don't have the rotissirie attachment but it seems like it could work for small items if you really grill that long with charcoal.

The Cobb is also quite outstanding considering what you can do with only a few pieces of charcoal if you are willing to wait a few hours for your meal. Also, small cooking area but good quality, robust grill.

Wade

d0ubledown

Observer
I have the weber Q220 I guess its on the big size but we make it fit. We like it so much we have started using it at the house instead of the really expensive full size grill we have!

X2. we also use a Q220, and absolutely love it. actually were looking for 2 setups, one for the house, and one for camping and outdoor adventures. the Q220 did them both. its definitely a space hog, along with the 20# tank, but the trailer carries all that sort of bulk. the cooking qualities of the weber are outstanding...better than anything ive used before.

I got the Cadac. Havent used it all that much, but last time cooked some fatty stakes on it and cleaning it was horrible. The controller isnt too great either but it works pretty good as a stove and griddle.

Warren D

Recently released grill

Hi, I just stumbled onto this thread and saw your request for feedback,
i use the Bon Feu portable charcoal grill which is a newly released grill designed in Johannesburg South Africa

http://www.bonfeu-bbq.com/portable-charcoal-grill.html :victory:

It weighs in at 5kg's, all in stainless steel. Traditional charcoal grill cooker.:chef:

Attachments

• DSC03185.jpg
    DSC03185.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DSC03186.jpg
    DSC03186.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 29

apsilon

Observer
Has anyone tried the Grilliput/Firebowl from the folks who make Candle Lanterns?

http://candlelantern.com/gr_firebowl.html

Yes, I love my Grilliput. It's too bad they don't make a lighter titanium version that I could use hiking so it's limited to car/bike camps but it's perfect for two people. The firebowl isn't as impressive as it's just a modified steamer. OK if you need to set up some coals somewhere where there's no fireplace but otherwise I just pull coals from the campfire and then place the grill over it on the ground.

CSG

Explorer
The only way I got a "Lexus" was getting one eight years old. Pretty much cheaper than a new anything else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94