Camp Chef® Propane Fire Ring - Anyone have comments about this product?

GCRad1

Adventurer
182818_ts.JPG

Found this while researching Camp Kitchens, and while this is not a camp kitchen, it caught my eye as so many places in So-Cal does not allow camp fires. Not that this might not be allow either... but it did catch my eye. Anyone have any experience as to if they like or dis-like this product?
More info: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/camp-chef-propane-fire-ring.aspx?a=683645

Does anyone have any other examples?

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
I like it! Many times we have burning restrictions, but the use of propane is usually allowed. (when contained, like in that ring or a camp stove)

That would be great for warmth, and even better, letting the kids toast thier Twinkys and marshmallows!

(Toasted Twinkys are great, by the way!:chef:)

While I prefer a 'natural' fire, in times when it's not allowed, I think this would be nice to have!:coffeedrink:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've been on a couple of trips with people who had them and think they are great.

We have so many fire restrictions around here that with out something like this you wouldn't have many camp fires of any type.

Errant

Explorer
Also being in SoCal, I've wondered about getting something like that, too. No fire is a deal breaker for me, I just don't see the point. Maybe an artificial fire would suffice? I've also asked out local ranger about the use of gel fuel. He wasn't entirely positive, but said that since it isn't wood-based and emits no embers or ash, it should be fine. A couple of cans of this with some rocks piled around might work for me.

refried

Adventurer
We have one and it gets quite a bit of use once burn bans start, our camps seemed to be missing something without a campfire and this is a great substitute. It dosen't throw off lots of heat like a real fire but it will warm your hands or your legs if standing next to it. It's also nice to be able to turn off the campfire and go visit other camps without dousing your fire or leaving it unattended (which should never be done).

refried

Adventurer
It has a pretty big burner (20,000btu?) that will burn fuel pretty quickly if turned up but we never open the valve very much, just enough for a small campfire (like the one pictured). I have one 20lb (5 gal) propane tank that I run a stove off also and it will go thru about a gallon of propane on a long weekend.

dumolebob

Observer
How big is it?

Camp Chef make very solid products so I assume this is too.:wings:

HOWEVER, they don't give the size???:Wow1: Does anyone know ?

rusty_tlc

Explorer
We actually enjoy not having a fire in camp. Our reasons?
  • More stars can be seen
  • Fewer bugs
  • No kippered herring smell on you when you wake up the next day.
  • I sleep better when I don't have to worry about the camp fire being completely out.

refried

Adventurer
I'm sure you could but the flame isn't that hot, It's a yellow flame that only gets bigger (not hotter) the more you turn it up. It does work for marshmallows and hotdogs.

Errant

Explorer
I've just ordered one of these, along with a propane tabletop BBQ. Fire restrictions just went up, botching our holiday weekend camp trip in Big Bear. Hopefully this will suffice, I'll let you know when I get back :)

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Torn opinion...

I am a bit torn and somewhat sad that something like this would be required. I'm sorry if having my opinion is taken wrong. I just grew up camping and have always had a campfire. It is part of my ritual, if you will, to gather the materials to get it going and a small source of pride that I rarely fail to get one alit. I grew up within the Boyscout community and fire creation and saftey were important traits to develop. One of several "survival" skills that I feel both harken to the history of man and the hope that should anything ever really bad happen that an important skill like fire making would not be lost to me.
I understand that many live in areas that have exisiting bans against open fire. That is the part that makes me a little sad. Sure, accidents will happen. A forest fire can be extremely costly and dangerous. But even natural lightining can be the cause of that. Some how it just seem...wrong(?) that we require the government to regulate our use of fire. Maybe a greater effort years ago to educate people would have been more bennificial? And perhaps holding people honestly ACCOUNTABLE for lack of safe useage would have been a greater way than a ban?
I don't fault anyone that lives in one of these areas using this little propane powered version. If thats all you can have then have at it. I feel for you. I will only camp where I am allowed to be free personally. I enjoy the smell of woodsmoke, the crackle and pop as it burns. The warmth and entrancing glow that draws one into deep introspection and/or unusual conversations...I like fire.

Errant

Explorer
I'm of the same thoughts, jd. It really bums me out to not be able to have a fire and charcoal. A huge part of many of my campouts revolve around the ability to have fire. But plans were already made; and the change in fire restrictions was so sudden that it didn't leave us with the ability to form an alternate plan.

I would like to see more education, accountability, etc. rather than a fire ban. I've lived in this National Forest for almost 30 years and been through plenty of forest fires. Last time I had homes on each side of mine burn, so I'm no stranger to the devastation. All of our fires have been caused by lightning strikes, arsonists, vehicles, and shooters... but not a one from a campfire in a forestry provided fire ring (which is all we're ever allowed these days).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94