Camp grilling ideas: beyond the great steak

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
What the hell is a wala wala, and is a red brumuda a variety of this mystery thing?

Does it look like this?:12_4_18:

I'm so :eek: for asking...

rusty_tlc

Explorer
calamaridog said:
What the hell is a wala wala, and is a red brumuda a variety of this mystery thing?

Does it look like this?:12_4_18:

I'm so :eek: for asking...
Onions, like Sweet Vidalias.
Sorry, I thought everyone knew about them.

They are sweet enouge to eat raw like an apple. They get even sweeter when they get all caramelized on the grill.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Speaking of onions...

I really like to take some whole green onions (scallions to some folks) and cut the very ends off them (like a 1/4 inch) then put them in a freezer bag with a drizzle of olive oil and a little Lawrey's or lemon pepper. Seal up the bag and toss to coat the onions. Then throw 'em right on the grill (high heat) for about 5 minutes, turning frequently. when the green tips are a little blackened and the white tips are cooked but not soft, put 'em on a plate and squeesze some lime juice over 'em. You can even add a little more of your seasoning of choice, but it's not always necessarry. They go great with beef in a meal, but I like to pass them around as appetizers while I'm grilling the rest of the food.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
BogusBlake said:
Speaking of onions...

I really like to take some whole green onions (scallions to some folks) and cut the very ends off them (like a 1/4 inch) then put them in a freezer bag with a drizzle of olive oil and a little Lawrey's or lemon pepper. Seal up the bag and toss to coat the onions. Then throw 'em right on the grill (high heat) for about 5 minutes, turning frequently. when the green tips are a little blackened and the white tips are cooked but not soft, put 'em on a plate and squeesze some lime juice over 'em. You can even add a little more of your seasoning of choice, but it's not always necessarry. They go great with beef in a meal, but I like to pass them around as appetizers while I'm grilling the rest of the food.
I'm going to try that this weekend.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Vegetables - great reminder (though Scott and Jonathan are always coming up with ways to avoid them - no, cacao beans are not vegetables, really).

Grilled scallions - classic Mexico roadside fare, with carne tacos. Mmmmmm - makes me hungry for Sonora.

The grilled squash sounds great, too - I haven't actually grilled it like that, just halved it and roasted it. Good idea - will try it soon.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Masman steak.
Tried this tonight for the first time.
Just rub Masman curry paste on a steak, I used London Broil, wrap it in plastic wrap and let it soak for a couple of hours. Then wipe off the excess paste and grill like you would any steak with a dry rub. I left the extra paste on and it kind of charred up a bit.

A little rice and steamed baby bok choy on the side and you have a meal.

To steam baby Bok Choy on the grill split them in half and rinse well. Then, on a sheet of foil, sprinkle with soy and a dash of toasted sesame oil. Wrap them up and throw them on the grill about 10-15 minutes before the steak is done.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
DesertRose said:
I managed to snap a photo of your Trophy Camp Kitchen:

cool-camp.jpg
What kind of table is that? It doesn't look too big, just the right size.:campfire:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior