Camp Plate "SET" and pan "SET"

Looking to upgrade my camp kitchen box this year and wondering what everyone is using for best four place setting or more camping plate, bowl, cup sets and then pan sets as well. Would prefer stackable, durable, etc.

I like the MSR, GSI, etc. but curious to know what the latest craze is?

JimBiram

Adventurer
I’ve been using an MSR Flex 4 system for about 10 years. I added an MSR Fry Pan that nests in the set. Very functional, flexible, durable, lightweight and compact. The set is finally showing a bit of wear...mostly the fry pan Teflon coating. Great set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m using magma pots, minus some things and plus a teakettle (my only titanium in that kettle). For plates, I’m using melamine plates and bowls I got at Target. Their claim to fame is heavy duty, lightweight, cheap and most important...square. They fit more efficiently in the camp kitchen box.

Wrathchild

We bought the stainless pot and pan cook set from Stanley and their percolator. Have a basic knife and cutting board set from GSI as well. All of my “kitchen” stuff fits tidily in a wolf pack.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Baked Enamelware plates.

For plates we've been using these for years, and they work great for us. We usually put paper plates on them so we don't have to wash them. Super durable, resistant to heat, easy to pack and stow. Never have floppy paper plate meals again! Keep food warm over the fire or on a grate, use a lid on a pot or pan, and more...

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Baked Enamelware plates.

For plates we've been using these for years, and they work great for us. We usually put paper plates on them so we don't have to wash them. Super durable, resistant to heat, easy to pack and stow. Never have floppy paper plate meals again! Keep food warm over the fire or on a grate, use a lid on a pot or pan, and more...

I had a set of these (still do), that I initially wanted for the classic camp nostalgia. They are great for many reasons, indestructible, stovetop use, very thin and light...

I abandoned them for one key reason... they conduct too much heat. Notice in the picture that you have the plate sitting ON something on your leg. I’m betting that is so you don’t burn yourself?

I went to plastic simply because I got tired of being burned and then having my food chilled super fast as the plate took all the heat away! Same for the matching coffee cups. Too fast from hot to cold.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
I had a set of these (still do), that I initially wanted for the classic camp nostalgia. They are great for many reasons, indestructible, stovetop use, very thin and light...

I abandoned them for one key reason... they conduct too much heat. Notice in the picture that you have the plate sitting ON something on your leg. I’m betting that is so you don’t burn yourself?

I went to plastic simply because I got tired of being burned and then having my food chilled super fast as the plate took all the heat away! Same for the matching coffee cups. Too fast from hot to cold.

I hear you on the heat. That's been an issue for sure with the heat. That's the main reason we don't use the cups of that type. A paper liner helps a lot with the heat. That's my cousin in the pic, and he doesn't use the paper plate method. I think that's his spatula on his leg under the plate.

For us the Pro's outweigh the Con's.

Great advice from all; much appreciated and I'll let this topic percolate for a few days cuz I know good advice with options when I see it.

Robert Bills

Explorer
This is what I am currently using:

Plates: Heavy duty plastic from Walmart. They typically last a season then I toss and replace. I do carry two enamelware plates, used for prep and serving more than eating.

Silverware and Kitchen Implements: Ordinary stainless steel silverware from an old set and/or the thrift store and hand-me-down implements from the kitchen.

Bowls: ordinary plastic bowls from the dollar store or Walmart. Toss and replace when time. Also two stainless steel sierra cups (see below).

Cups: Everyone gets their own cup to keep track of, plus I keep two sierra cups in my camp kitchen - useful for drinking, eating or even cooking.

Cook set: Texsport Hiker Black Ice Hard Anodized Compact Outdoor Camping Cookware Cook Set (currently unavailable on Amazon, but typically $30-35), Optimus Terra Kettle that nests inside ($20), plus a 10" cast iron skillet from the the thrift store, restored one rainy weekend.

Stove/cooking: Gas One GS-800P single burner butane/propane dual fuel stove ($30-35 - similar units available at any oriental grocery), plus an "Adventure" Skottle with adapters for 8 oz. butane canisters and 1 lb. propane bottles. (Skottles are expensive, even the little ones, but considering how often mine is used it may actually turn out to be economical in the long run.) I recently acquired a UCO flatpack grill/firepit to play with, but due to the current shut-down orders I haven't had the chance to use it yet ($34).

Coffee: Aeropress ($30). Another luxury, but it makes good coffee.

The theme is to use kitchen items I already have as much as possible or inexpensive items that can be tossed when worn out without shedding a tear and easily replaced anywhere. Not pretty, not chic, not Snowpeak, but it works for me.

This is what I am currently using:

Plates: Heavy duty plastic from Walmart. They typically last a season then I toss and replace. I do carry two enamelware plates, used for prep and serving more than eating.

Silverware and Kitchen Implements: Ordinary stainless steel silverware from an old set and/or the thrift store and hand-me-down implements from the kitchen.

Bowls: ordinary plastic bowls from the dollar store or Walmart. Toss and replace when time. Also two stainless steel sierra cups (see below).

Cups: Everyone gets their own cup to keep track of, plus I keep two sierra cups in my camp kitchen - useful for drinking, eating or even cooking.

Cook set: Texsport Hiker Black Ice Hard Anodized Compact Outdoor Camping Cookware Cook Set (currently unavailable on Amazon, but typically $30-35), Optimus Terra Kettle that nests inside ($20), plus a 10" cast iron skillet from the the thrift store, restored one rainy weekend.

Stove/cooking: Gas One GS-800P single burner butane/propane dual fuel stove ($30-35 - similar units available at any oriental grocery), plus an "Adventure" Skottle with adapters for 8 oz. butane canisters and 1 lb. propane bottles. (Skottles are expensive, even the little ones, but considering how often mine is used it may actually turn out to be economical in the long run.) I recently acquired a UCO flatpack grill/firepit to play with, but due to the current shut-down orders I haven't had the chance to use it yet ($34).

Coffee: Aeropress ($30). Another luxury, but it makes good coffee.

The theme is to use kitchen items I already have as much as possible or inexpensive items that can be tossed when worn out without shedding a tear and easily replaced anywhere. Not pretty, not chic, not Snowpeak, but it works for me.

Great read @Robert Bills. I plan to get a nice pan set for sure and I am liking what everyone is saying about going Walmart on the heavy duty and cheap plates/bowls. The reality is there is no such thing as a one-stop-shop set up without customization. I think there are kits that are getting close, but nothing that is perfect all around. I might end up spending a bit on pots at first but they can last a lifetime if properly cared for. The Wolf-Pack box with square Walmart plates is what I think I am leaning towards and maybe the GSI Pinnacle cuz I can use some of that for backpacking as well and leave the big items in the truck kit. I do not like the GSI cups and plates but the cups can be used for storage or dry items such as coffee/tea, rice, etc. so they pack-out nicely.

I too picked up a UCO pit and it arrives today. I plan to use it today in the backyard to get some time with it and see how it works. Considering the cost, it really is a great deal and gets great reviews for the bang for buck factor.

I have really nice plastic wear I bought almost a decade ago; I think they might even be Stanley or something I picked up at REI but kept them and they have lasted forever. I took an old knife set from my old condo rental, polished them up to new and use them for my hardware set for steak knives and prep knives. I will need to buy a nice heavy duty knife sleeve for them though as I currently just have them in a Tupperwares bit bouncing around.

Keep the ideas coming; love to see the different ideas from all of you and piece my own best kit together.

Robert Bills

Explorer
. . . the Wolf-Pack box with square Walmart plates is what I think I am leaning towards . . . .

My camp kitchen fits into a Front Runner Cub Pack except for the stove, which came in its own small plastic box. I had not thought of using square plates to avoid wasted space, although I'm sure I have every nook and cranny packed with something.

. . . I too picked up a UCO pit and it arrives today. . . .

The UCO flatpack grill appears well made, however my first observation was that the canvas sleeve is much too small. I dug around the hall closet and found a "decommissioned" 15" laptop bag that seems to work well. It will hold the flatpack grill, gloves, charcoal tongs, firestarter, garden trowel for moving/burying/extinguishing coals, etc. as if made for them. I suspect that a heavy duty ziplock bag filled with enough briquettes for one meal would fit as well.

The UCO flatpack grill appears well made, however my first observation was that the canvas sleeve is much too small. I dug around the hall closet and found a "decommissioned" 15" laptop bag that seems to work well. It will hold the flatpack grill, gloves, charcoal tongs, firestarter, garden trowel for moving/burying/extinguishing coals, etc. as if made for them. I suspect that a heavy duty ziplock bag filled with enough briquettes for one meal would fit as well.

Great idea; get a bag that fits the grilling utensils and glove too! I'll size mine up when it arrives today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior