Camp Stereo

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
...Quiet generators (~50 -60db) are not a problem for anyone that I have ever met. (but then I never rent a driveway camp or camp in numbered spaces)
the small Yamaha generators (53-61 db ) are easy to sleep near, in a tent (I don't see any reason to run a genny all night but a friend did...something to do with his wife (stopped listening at that point) ~30-50 feet away it was nearly inaudible).
The newly purchased Ryobi 900 says 61dbA and I believe it , it is nearly as quiet as the Yamaha. Purchased only to recharge the tent battery (35AH) for overnight fridge use 3 hours, or less, (a can of propane) should provide a full charge.

The, just received, JBL Flip 4, cannot get too loud at full output, in the computer room; I have concerns that it may be too quiet outdoors/in the tent or around the campfire for occasional background music...(not all that impressed with its design or sound).

I live by the rule, that if anyone else can hear my stuff; its too loud...

Enjoy!

demagxc

...Quiet generators (~50 -60db) are not a problem for anyone that I have ever met. (but then I never rent a driveway camp or camp in numbered spaces)
the small Yamaha generators (53-61 db ) are easy to sleep near, in a tent (I don't see any reason to run a genny all night but a friend did...something to do with his wife (stopped listening at that point) ~30-50 feet away it was nearly inaudible).
The newly purchased Ryobi 900 says 61dbA and I believe it , it is nearly as quiet as the Yamaha. Purchased only to recharge the tent battery (35AH) for overnight fridge use 3 hours, or less, (a can of propane) should provide a full charge.

The, just received, JBL Flip 4, cannot get too loud at full output, in the computer room; I have concerns that it may be too quiet outdoors/in the tent or around the campfire for occasional background music...(not all that impressed with its design or sound).

I live by the rule, that if anyone else can hear my stuff; its too loud...

Enjoy!
I have the Flip 4 and had the opposite issue for a while. Some phones tether the volume control of the speaker with the volume on the phone meaning making a volume adjustment on the phone results in the same increase or decrease in volume as if you were to make a change from the speaker itself. For me this was the case it it resulted in it being too loud for camping at any level over the 3rd or 4th volume step and sometimes 3 was too low and 4 was too loud with no way of selecting anything in between.

I was able to change a setting on my phone to allow it to allow volume adjustments to be made independently of each other. In this case, the speaker will consider 100% volume to be whatever level the bluetooth volume of your phone is set to and make volume changes accordingly when volume is changed on the speaker. The Phone will do the reverse. This allowed me to have 100x more control over the volume of the speaker. I would say try maxing out the volume on the speaker then adjust the volume on your phone and see if anything changes.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
I hear you; spent some time manipulating the controls on both along with the phone's remedial graphic equalizer; with this phone (Samsung) and this media I would rate the Flip 4 a maximum of 3 stars in term of sound (there is a sometimes disturbing high frequency peak/squeak even at medium levels (can't get it to a loudness that could potientially damage my hearing even with a patch cord to the audio input, which hopefully bypasses the Bluetooth circuitry).
It seems to be somewhat lower audio quality than the Chinese $14 Bluetooth amp that I used to use camping connected to some small, (junk) all weather KLH speakers.. NOT favorably impressed.... I will get a friend to bring over his Flip 3 (the reason that I bought this flip 4) and do a side by side comparison sometime in the next week or 3.

... of course it could also be a chinese knockoff of a Flip 4;" If it wasn't for bad luck I would have any luck at all." (I'll take it apart eventually and see).

Enjoy!

demagxc

I hear you; spent some time manipulating the controls on both along with the phone's remedial graphic equalizer; with this phone (Samsung) and this media I would rate the Flip 4 a maximum of 3 stars in term of sound (there is a sometimes disturbing high frequency peak/squeak even at medium levels (can't get it to a loudness that could potientially damage my hearing even with a patch cord to the audio input, which hopefully bypasses the Bluetooth circuitry).
It seems to be somewhat lower audio quality than the Chinese $14 Bluetooth amp that I used to use camping connected to some small, (junk) all weather KLH speakers.. NOT favorably impressed.... I will get a friend to bring over his Flip 3 (the reason that I bought this flip 4) and do a side by side comparison sometime in the next week or 3.

... of course it could also be a chinese knockoff of a Flip 4;" If it wasn't for bad luck I would have any luck at all." (I'll take it apart eventually and see).

Enjoy!
One last suggestion, if you haven't done it already, try and enable the "developer options" in the phone. If I remember correctly, go to settings, device info, and look for "build number" tap it 5? Times in a row and the phone will all you if you want to enable developer settings. Once you do, additional audio and Bluetooth options should be available that change how the volume interacts with other devices. Good luck!

ebrabaek

Adventurer

Enjoy!

There is something wrong with your setup then.
They are supposed to work flawlessly.
I have 3 of them, and have not heard any of the things you describe.
Audio via bluetooth is respectable now, but with older phones it can be an issue.
We run our flip 4's with both samsung galaxy S 5 and s9+....and it sounds really good.
On android platforms you can turn off the volume limiter warning gs that tweaks the audio every time you connect bluetooth.
Also try to download the JBL app. Via the app you can upload firmware to the flipp's and do other things such as run them in pairs designating them as left and right channel stereos.

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
Sennheiser is going to release a new set of truly wireless ear buds this month. I plan to pick up a set and give them a try around camp.

I have had the IE8 wired buds for years, but stopped using them due to the cord (and my iPhones failure to have a convenient 1/8 inch headphone jack). I'm hoping that these will be the wireless equivalent. They are going to have good old fashioned dynamic drivers. Non of this balanced armature stuff. Hopefully these will have the convenience of Apple Airpods and the sounds quality of an IE8.

pluton

Adventurer
Yes, the small Hondas and other modern generators are way quieter than the old rattly, noisy ones that I've usually encountered as built-ins on RVs.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
There is something wrong with your setup then.
They are supposed to work flawlessly.
I have 3 of them, and have not heard any of the things you describe.
Audio via bluetooth is respectable now, but with older phones it can be an issue.
We run our flip 4's with both samsung galaxy S 5 and s9+....and it sounds really good.
On android platforms you can turn off the volume limiter warning gs that tweaks the audio every time you connect bluetooth.
Also try to download the JBL app. Via the app you can upload firmware to the flipp's and do other things such as run them in pairs designating them as left and right channel stereos.

Will try your suggestions...Thanx!

For those considering this over hyped product; this particular example is adequate to listen to low levels (easy to talk over in a medium quiet voice) background music, at distances of arm length or more from the speaker; AFTER the painfully bright high frequencies have been equalized down from 1 to 3 on a Samsung phone equalizer display.
The Samsung phone volume is at 9-10 (and conversations can be carried out in a medium quiet conversational voice.)
The volume is one step down from max on this flip4.
After close examination (without disassembly) this unit does not appear to be a knock off (based on JBL's information on how to spot a knockoff).
NOT FOR CRITICAL LISTENING; very casual listening only...consider it as an improved, rechargeable 1960's transistor radio- audio is quality is roughly old table radio quality (with much less hum/noise), a bit better low midrange reproduction and very peaky upper midrange and highs that get peaky-er and more annoying as the volume level is increased.

This unit was ordered from Amazon, for whatever that is worth.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Re: Flip 4 sound;
...After the neat/newness of the JBL flip4 speaker wore off ... I found that is really just another compact, portable, midrange speaker (with an annoying peaky treble range). After figuring out how to turn on the bass boost though, (Press and hold both the raised Bluetooth button and the minus (-) button for 10 seconds or so until the Bluetooth symbol next to the power button and the charge indicator light up). with the bass boost on, the sound quality is good enough justify to its replacement of the old Sony transistor radio in the Jeep (compact) camping gear. However, the sound quality of the JBL flip 4 is not good enough to replace the old, cheap (junk, really) outdoor KLH, wired, speakers and chinese Bluetooth amp in the less compact camping gear that I pack in the Explorer, for longer trips.

IMO: The chief benefit to the Flip 4 is its compactness. Relatively heavyweight (middle weight?) backpackers might wish to consider it for this reason; Although the weight would be a major concern for me if I were still backpacking.

Enjoy!

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
As I said many years ago in this same thread, I drive over 500 miles to my favorite Colorado campground in order to have one week away from big city noise, and when most folks have access to big city luxuries that they can return to after their camping trip, perhaps it would not kill them to do without the big city music for just a few days of the year. This year I had to walk some distance over to the next campsite to politely ask them to cut the volume of their battery powered music thing by 2/3rds. Thankfully, they respected my wish to be able to hear nature's sounds without constant unnecessary big city noise.

dbhost

Get some quality earbuds and keep the quiet for those that like the quiet unless you KNOW you are not going to rock and roll all night and annoying the ******** out of people that went well out of their way to get off grid and away from the noise lest they retaliate and a lousy trip be had by all.

Now if you are CERTAIN you are not going to interfere with others enjoyment of the woods, beach, or whatever, they you do you.

My sister in law has one of those JBL bluetooth jobs that also has a 3.5mm input, looks like a giant pill about half the size of a small boombox. She uses it for beach house parties and it will drive a good amount of sound allowing it to be heard cleanly over constant wind, crashing waves and an assortment of rowdy in laws...

Looking around at Amazon and other sites, this unit may no longer be in production though. However you get the general idea. There are a good number of these things that sound great and don't take a lot of power to charge up...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles