Camper Shell - Add Racks

Expedition_Matt

Hi, I have a camper shell which I would like to add racks to. It has no mounts obviously. I've seen rail type and the single mounting points. Any suggestions on best type to get and any gotchas when installing? Thanks.

Matt

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Matt - I assume that you have a fiberglass cap by a major maker. If so, you can safely at a set of Yakima tracks, towers and cross bars. This requires drilling through the roof, so seal the though fasteners with a silcon caulking like Sikaflex.

I did this on my standard ARE cap and it has worked fine for a couple of years. I did space the tracks so that they were towards the edge of the roof, where the weight bearing capacity might be best.

Ala5ka

VX'er
If you do not want to have a whole lot of clearance between the top and the rack you can just make your own towers from angle and drill holes, attach with huge washers and short bolts, I did six of those and they seem to work well.

Expedition_Matt

Sounds good. Yes, it is a very plain fiberglass cab-high. I would love to be able to add a kayak, bikes or longboard. Storage would be cool in some cases too.

It sounds like the rails would just be more versatile. It is a longbed, so that factors in.

Speaking of rails, on a longbed, would it be better to put the rails in the center or near the back? Do the install instructions that typically come with these explain that?

Speaking of Autohome in your sig, I would love a Maggiolina. Unfortunately I don't know how much stress I could put on the shell. For truck owners, is it better to put a ladder rack or something similar? It would be neat if I could get 3 of us up there (2 adult and a 10 yo but that is probably pushing it).

Thanks.

Expedition_Matt

If you do not want to have a whole lot of clearance between the top and the rack you can just make your own towers from angle and drill holes, attach with huge washers and short bolts, I did six of those and they seem to work well.

Cool, that looks neat. I may go the Thule or Yak route due to the various options they have but this is definitely a possibility.

BTW, really dig your sleeping platform. I am trying to decide whether to go for a drawer based one or just the platform. I may have questions! Do you have a photo of the frame under the plat? I don't see how the two boards can support it unless there's a cross brace or something.

Ala5ka

VX'er
I may have questions! Do you have a photo of the frame under the plat? I don't see how the two boards can support it unless there's a cross brace or something.

It sits on the wheel wells as well, there is a little bit of flex though that I need to iron out

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Mounting the rails farther forward will enable you to lift the rear window when your longboard's up there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke