Camper shell with swing open doors: Opinions

trailscape

Explorer
One thought I've had for a while is the recessed T-handle. If you close it from inside and for whatever reason, that t-handle were to be folded in you would not be able to open it from inside.

I've been wanting to swap it out for a different type of handle/lock mechanism, but haven't really got around to thinking up something for it. I have some extra tools in case that ever did happen.

chet6.7

Explorer
One thought I've had for a while is the recessed T-handle. If you close it from inside and for whatever reason, that t-handle were to be folded in you would not be able to open it from inside.

I've been wanting to swap it out for a different type of handle/lock mechanism, but haven't really got around to thinking up something for it. I have some extra tools in case that ever did happen.
51IK8DNirmL._SY300_.jpg

You could try putting this around the shaft of the T handle,it barely works on mine,but it does stop the handle from closing,trapping me in. I will put a wad of duck tape around it to increase the width.I do have some ready access tools to break out a window if I had to.

SixLug

Explorer

I have thought about the same thing. The lock is a good idea, but other solutions would be welcome. My partial “solution” to this is my sliding rear window on the truck. I want to add a sliding window to the camper shell and seal the gap with a tire tube and just leave the truck window open. Then if needed I can just crawl through the back window and exit the truck.

trailscape

Explorer
If it's like mine, you can remove the locking rods with an allen wrench if needed. Just keep the proper size duct taped to the door or wall somewhere and you're covered in a pinch.

I have thought about the same thing. The lock is a good idea, but other solutions would be welcome. My partial “solution” to this is my sliding rear window on the truck. I want to add a sliding window to the camper shell and seal the gap with a tire tube and just leave the truck window open. Then if needed I can just crawl through the back window and exit the truck.

nickw

Adventurer
With removing the tailgate - do you guys relocate the rear view cameras? That was always a drawback of the barn door campers to me, at least on the newer rigs....

WhatsDaPoint

With removing the tailgate - do you guys relocate the rear view cameras? That was always a drawback of the barn door campers to me, at least on the newer rigs....

Mine is installed top center of shell. Works great. Just have to remember to wipe it off after being in the grime.

Kingsize24

Mine is installed top center of shell. Works great. Just have to remember to wipe it off after being in the grime.

Same here. Mine was relocated from the tailgate into a 3rd brake light camera that came with the topper. Plug and play.

20181231_110552.jpg

pigsammy

I like the barn doors on my truck's commercial topper, I feel access is easier than reaching across a gate. Especially when its wet.
On my Yukon I like the lift gate for the weather protection. I don't really miss a tailgate in either case.

yfarm

Observer
I’m buying that titan tank before my trip up to Canada fishing, did you do the install, if so how did it go? Where did you mount the filler with the decked system? I got the decked also and love it!

We used to go to the duck inn almost every Friday night for years, then it sold and went down hill. On a side note I was really thinking of quitting my job and buying it but they were asking too much and I figured I would have to be there everyday so no more hunting and fishing time.
The Duck Inn north of Spring Bay? Small world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94