Camper Shells: your experiences and suggestions

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
So far I am very happy with my backup light, I will need to mod the mount to aim the light a bit lower. As it sits now, it is a huge improvement over the standard backup lamps.

bat

Explorer
If running lights on the shell is something you like to do this is how I did mine to control messy wires hanging around. I bought some velcro from Home depot and hid the wires under it, you will have to have a carpet roof to make it work. I control mine with a remote mounted in the cab with velcro.

led 004.jpgled 001.jpgPICT0001.jpgPICT0003.jpg003.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice looking back-up lights you have there boys... I have a homemade shell on the back of my truck. It looks like it is top heavy but actually it is a very light weight construction from the roof of the cab and upwards. Heavy down below so it works well in the terrain.....

DSC03668web.jpg

You can have a look at the build thread. It is posted in my sig. That will show you how it was put together.....:)

haddix

Adventurer
I used to have a softopper on my Tacoma which I absolutely loved and never thought I would never get rid of it but I ran across an ARE topper on craigslist already the same color as my truck for a good price so I couldn't pass it up. I originally thought I'd just switch in and out between the ARE and softopper but after having the ARE for a month or so I think I'm going to stick with it. I just love being able to lock everything up and my dog seems to love riding in the back now.
e447657b476e25964bac00d395072f5f.jpg

417B2507-475F-4EAF-B490-5EEE89260FC4-1377-0000017CDAF542EE.jpg

Mad_Texan

Adventurer
My F150 with a cap and RTT

The cap was on the truck when I bought it...wasn't to sure about it but very happy so far! Added the rack which is quite heavy duty but light...all aluminum.

1353004539.jpg

MotoDave

Explorer
I'm just about ready to buy a camper shell for my '12 Tundra Doublecab, I am pretty well decided on an ARE V-series with vented windoors. A question came up today during discussion with the local LEER dealer, who warned me that they don't recommend the vented windoor option due to having issues with them leaking. My old truck ('96 T100 with Vision camper shell with non-vented windoors) never had leakage issues.

Has anyone had any issues with either ARE or LEER vented windoors leaking?

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
I used to have a softopper on my Tacoma which I absolutely loved and never thought I would never get rid of it but I ran across an ARE topper on craigslist already the same color as my truck for a good price so I couldn't pass it up. I originally thought I'd just switch in and out between the ARE and softopper but after having the ARE for a month or so I think I'm going to stick with it. I just love being able to lock everything up and my dog seems to love riding in the back now.
e447657b476e25964bac00d395072f5f.jpg

417B2507-475F-4EAF-B490-5EEE89260FC4-1377-0000017CDAF542EE.jpg

Are these pics taken in KY? They look very fermilure.

verdesardog

Explorer
I got this one as added value when negotiating the price for my "new "truck. It was dirty, the rear window was almost coming out of the frame and the latches were not in the best of shape. But it is fully lined . I have worked on it a bit, fixed the rear window problems and put new latches on it and added a handle in the center. I wouldn't have a truck with out a shell, my dog likes to ride in the front seat but I prefer her to ride in the back.

Before I got this truck I had a Dakota ( much smaller than this one) and slept in the back often.

DSC_2110.jpg

729.jpg

DSC_30482.JPG

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Custom tent for my SnugTop

I've been meaning to get this made for a couple years now, I had thought about buying a DAC Camper Top Tent but I wanted something a little thicker for those cold desert nights. I worked with a marine canvas maker in Alameda to make this. Just picked it up today, but I am very happy with it so far.

IMG-20130226-00518_zpse8928acf.jpg

IMG-20130226-00517_zps87e1483a.jpg

IMG-20130226-00516_zps2ea56897.jpg

sourdough

Adventurer
This is a Four Wheel Camper Pop Up Hawk Shell. Optioned with an RV battery, LPG furnace, two fantastic fans and an awning. Very usable.
bigsurcoast_zps11cc099a.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I got out of the Army after Desert Storm to go to college. Lived in my Leer camper shell for a semester over the winter. Loved it, and it worked well. So I think Leer is great.

Ended up going back in the Army, just retired in '09. Got another Leer for my "new" truck. Only three years old and having problems with it. Maybe Leer not so great... Gas struts are weak and won't hold up side windows, back window lock is real cheep. Now I found out that there is such a thing as a Flip Pack, but how do they hold up year after year? Anyone had one for a while?

BCHauler

Adventurer
LBPtaco - your setup is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for sometime. How does it attach on the sides? I had toyed with the idea of Velcro or snaps on the outside of the canopy. Really inventive. Did you make a fly for the entrance, maybe screen material for bugs? Thumbs up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles