Camper Shells: your experiences and suggestions

LBPtaco

Rendezvous Conspiracy
LBPtaco - your setup is an idea that has been rattling around in my head for sometime. How does it attach on the sides? I had toyed with the idea of Velcro or snaps on the outside of the canopy. Really inventive. Did you make a fly for the entrance, maybe screen material for bugs? Thumbs up!

Thanks!
For attachments there are grommets that I tie a line thru and run up to the wheel well and another up to the door jam, theres also 3 along the bottom that I havent figured out where to secure them. I thought about snaps to the shell and bed sides, but I didn't want to drill holes unless I really needed to. When the tent is properly secured it sucks up to the truck real nice. I did not go with a fly or screen for the entrance, the material is marine grade waterproof canvas so I'm not worried about leaks, and for the ventilation I can open up the sliding windows in the shell itself which have screens so the bugs cant come in. If you would like I can take more pics this weekend of attachment points and such.

dancarter

I have recently gone back to a truck and camper from a van. The truck is a lot more versatile and I use it for work. The camper shell is simple and inexpensive. One just has to keep the crap to a minimum. I like an extended cab to keep clothes and instruments, that I don't want to be covered in dirt. I built a simple shelf with a lip that is about 3' wide and runs between the bed rails at the front of the bed. I can put gear boxes and bags on the shelf and still have room to sleep with my feet under the shelf. This way I can sleep in the back, fully loaded, for those sites that require more stealth camping. My bed is just a foam ridge rest with a 2.5" rei air pad on top. This is pretty comfortable. Usually I'm base camping so I just pull the cooler and boxes out and then I have plenty of room to sleep and hang out in bad weather. I can even set a short chair in the back and sit up. If I need to carry more stuff, the bedding packs up small and fits on the shelf and I have plenty of room in the bed for more boxes, etc.

dancarter

My only complaint is that the shell seeps around the bed rail. I've sealed around the windows, bolts and bed rails but still get a little leak on the bed rails. Not too bad since rain is seldom out in the desert but I have gotten wet a couple times.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Thanks!
For attachments there are grommets that I tie a line thru and run up to the wheel well and another up to the door jam, theres also 3 along the bottom that I havent figured out where to secure them. I thought about snaps to the shell and bed sides, but I didn't want to drill holes unless I really needed to. When the tent is properly secured it sucks up to the truck real nice. I did not go with a fly or screen for the entrance, the material is marine grade waterproof canvas so I'm not worried about leaks, and for the ventilation I can open up the sliding windows in the shell itself which have screens so the bugs cant come in. If you would like I can take more pics this weekend of attachment points and such.

A little late I know, but I would appreciate seeing some pictures. I have thought about building one these for several years - seeing yours has inspired me to build mine!

super04duty

Observer
A little late I know, but I would appreciate seeing some pictures. I have thought about building one these for several years - seeing yours has inspired me to build mine!

I am also very curious about this. I just got a SnugTop cab high shell for my F350, I love this idea of keeping the tail gate and rear hatch open, while allowing the tail gate to be used to keep our boots and such, without tracking too much mud and dust into the actual sleeping area of the bed (I have a full size diamond plate tool box at the front of the bed, and with my long bed truck, there is still room for our "full" size air mattress and sleeping bags, but not so much space left for boots, and small things. (though Im planning on stacking my gear totes on top of the diamond plate box while camping, as it is mostly full of towing and recovery gear and emergency supplies.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Had bad problems with paint wear on the rear of my cabs, as much of my time was in the CA high desert. Lots of fine sand and powdery dust, working in between the rubber shell boot and the cab. Add in the vibrations of washboard roads and might as well have been rubbing sandpaper on my paintjob. These experiences were 20-25yrs ago, don't know if there's been a modern solution to the problem. Maybe something like a clear thick vinyl like is applied as a rock-chip guard, applied to the cab rear where the shell boot will rub? Maybe some sort of persistent lube?

Raul B

Explorer
I have a ARE shell on my truck and so far so good. I'll be sleeping in it next weekend during the desert rendezvous

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

sapper

Adventurer
5 years now on my current setup and still going strong. Added a 20" eBay special light bar to my reverse lights but really haven't changed anything. Need to repair/replace the rear latch as it has got very stiff from a bit of rust. Been cross country now 3 times with in all seasons and still love this setup. Not looking forward to the next truck and having to start over again. Only things I would change are I would go to a tapered front and instead of the bed slide I would use a DECKED bed storage system.

cliniford

Observer
87919f47f11c6fd1dc7f8c5c0b6f2aa1.jpg

This is my SecureShell by Tailgater. Very heavy duty and weighs a ton for being aluminum. Best part is throughout the inside is unistrut so I can mount any accessories that are designed for that. Plus I only paid $350 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkitchen

Explorer
This is my SecureShell by Tailgater. Very heavy duty and weighs a ton for being aluminum. Best part is throughout the inside is unistrut so I can mount any accessories that are designed for that. Plus I only paid $350 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Having the side openings really is a great asset as is having it a bit taller. The best part is finding something like that for $350.
Good deal.
Mikey

UltraHDGames

Adventurer
I have a century cap on my mazda, never had heard of the brand before I got it but the quality seems top notch(to me atleast), its got full carpet interior and I added some roof rails from a 95-00 Explorer for if I ever get a kayak etc

Only other thing I plan on adding is an led strip inside so I can see at night while camping :)

chet6.7

Explorer
P1010915.jpg
I have an ARE DCU,I am not happy with it.The welds are poor,the gap between the truck's cab and where the shell begins is larger than any camper I have ever had,or seen.
The sliding rear window latch is on the outside of the front window instead of inside the camper where it can be accessed while in the camper.
The barn doors don't seal very well,water passes the cheap rubber seals.
Yesterday I pulled a little too far under a carport,I barely touched the ladder rack to the fascia of the carport.
I was very slowly 1/4 inching ahead,so slight contact,I immediately reversed.
Today I noticed 2 leaks in the camper,one on the passenger side front,the area of contact and another leak just above the barn doors.
There is no visible damage,this product is not very sturdy.
I should have got the heavier duty tube rack that does not contact the shell,I suspect I would not have a leak as it is not screwed into the shell.
Actually,I should have taken the time to go to Reno for a Caravan camper.:(

PowerWagner

Explorer
I have a century cap on my mazda, never had heard of the brand before I got it but the quality seems top notch(to me atleast), its got full carpet interior and I added some roof rails from a 95-00 Explorer for if I ever get a kayak etc

Only other thing I plan on adding is an led strip inside so I can see at night while camping :)

I've got a Century too. Not super happy with it. Had to have both sliding side windows replaced as the rubber gasket warped and hardened so I could no longer slide open the windows. There's also a large gap between the bed rails and where the back window comes down but I love camping out of it. IMG_2041.JPGATTACH=CONFIG]320978[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• Chris Flex in crack.jpg
    Chris Flex in crack.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 525
  • Camp Set Up Nelson Cabin.jpg
    Camp Set Up Nelson Cabin.jpg
    562 KB · Views: 66

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94