camper showers?

Arktisk

I will add my situation for giggles. The shower is used occasionally but I also use it as a place to put my snowy wet skis and gear when I get off the mountain. Run the fan and let the slop go down the wet bath drain.

One asked about showering at ski resorts. I am lucky and can drive to below freezing area at the ski resort I most frequent (drop below snow line). I feel better about the plumbing down there-even though I have a 4 seasons camper.

zb39

Adventurer
I have a 10.5 camper with built in dry bath. we love it and will not use anything else. It's way to easy to just use it everyday. With 65 gal fresh tank, water is not an issue.

mightymike

Adventurer
We have a small wet bath in our 8' Lance camper. We boondock as much as possible, usually for 2-5 nights and then stay at a campground. We don't shower every day when we camp, but it is really nice to have a hot shower after you've hiked all day in warm weather or been on the beach all day using sunscreen. The inside shower was one of the main reasons we did not get a pop-up truck camper. We've never had a issue with lack of water or space in our grey water tank.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
The only way I can convince my wife to go "camping" is with a shower and toilet. If it was just me, I would be fine with an outside shower, even something like the yakima road shower.
I had a similar path to camper ownership. I used to camp with varying levels of gear but used sun showers and dug holes. After getting married and having two daughters the position against squatting hardened.

although this is a thread about showers, the main thing for me is the bathroom. As I get older I’m less willing to go outside in the wind or cold at 3am to pee. As long as you are making space for a toilet, seems to be worth while to make at least a wet bath. The space is there anyway.

Trail Talk

Although we run dry during winter, we use a Geyser Systems portable heated shower inside our wet bath. We got into this gadget through Kickstarter but now they sell at REI. Its more of a sponge bath so a towel on the floor collects what little run-off there is. FWIW, we haven't used the exterior shower enclosure during summer simply because there too many mosquitos up here!

GEYSER_DISHES.png

c.traveler2

In our old 2002 Lance 815 we did use the shower, mostly my wife and in our present 2020 Bunduvry we have used it a couple of times. I did do a prototype recirculating shower project for my camper. Working on the next stage of the recirculating shower for the Bundury gray tank is small at ten gallons.

Recirculating shower project

Jonnyo

Observer
Who actually showers in a 10ft or smaller camper? It seems like it's on most peoples must have list when purchasing but when it comes down to it who actually uses one? Do you prefer the outdoor shower? Please include if your camper has a built in wet bath or if it is some type of curtain around a drain pan.

i do a lot of 7-20 days trip with 3 kids and the shower is a ABSOLUTE must have. my kids are young...they play hard..get so dirty! we are often stealth camping in citys, side streets, or in cold places/winter and a outside shower isnt a good option for us!!!! I m making a new unit and the shower will be even bigger then before... nothing like finishing a big 10-15h drive day.... stop at 10pm in a street in the middle of a city..put the kids to bed and jump in for a shower before bed.

trackhead

Adventurer
We gutted our old truck camper and rebuild interior, tossed the water heater and utilize a cheape 120$ on demand water heater. Problem solved for "wasting propane" heating water. Works great.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We have a small wet bath in our 8' Lance camper. We boondock as much as possible, usually for 2-5 nights and then stay at a campground. We don't shower every day when we camp, but it is really nice to have a hot shower after you've hiked all day in warm weather or been on the beach all day using sunscreen. The inside shower was one of the main reasons we did not get a pop-up truck camper. We've never had a issue with lack of water or space in our grey water tank.
If either hasn't had a shower it's not too bad. If one or the other has a shower but not the other we reek.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
We gutted our old truck camper and rebuild interior, tossed the water heater and utilize a cheape 120$ on demand water heater. Problem solved for "wasting propane" heating water. Works great.
Do you need a generator or shore power to use the heater?

trackhead

Adventurer
Waste of space and water in my opinion. I built our camper without one, and never do we wish we had one. Sponge baths as needed at the sink for most of the year, outdoor shower with a pressure tank during the warmest months. Campground, gym, or truck stop showers are cheap and easy if you really feel the need.

It can be a waste of space, depending on how you look at design that space. I rebuild my camper with a bigger shower, dry flush toilet, coat rack. We use it for day storage of skis (locked inside), drying coats and ski gear, a bigger garbage bin, etc. Our camper is 8' and our bathroom is bigger than most, plenty of space with our design in rest of camper for family of three. We've never felt crowded out by it, at all.

Showers can be a moral booster, and when you find yourself living in your camper for a month, two months, three months, while waiting for you house to be built when you move down from AK, a shower is priceless. Plus, I ride my bike every morning before family gets up, nice off (removed as not family-friendly forum language) between days of riding/hiking/climbing.

We don't have grey/black tanks, shower water goes on the ground, doesn't hurt a damn thing. On demand propane water heaters use almost no propane at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne