Camper Van / Ambulance Pop Top On a Budget

asander1

So does it leak!????

1609185498506.png

Hell no! - works great! The top of the tent is larger than the bottom, so when the van is relatively flat, the rain drips straight off and not in. The bottom of the tent sticks up 3-4 inches above the fiberglass top, so puddles and rain don't come in there either and the tent material sheds water rather well. I folded down the material over the base after this photo was taken... Wind is not an issue either...

Edit - I forgot a step in a previous post - seal around the edge with lap sealant really well - especially where the ridge was and the tent doesn't overlap the fiberglass. I meant to go back and fiberglass this part in, but never got to it...

kylethompson

I think I’m going to do this on my truck. I’ve been dreaming of a DIY pop up ever since I got rid of my westy. I won’t miss the frequent mechanical failures of the air cooled VW but do miss the pop up.

It’s still a recent mod, but had anything come up since install that you would have done differently?

I found a similar cheap hard shell tent that comes with a moon roof and is a bit wider, which will fit my box well. How rad would it be to see the sky while sleeping in the camper?

Tent with moon roof (not purchased yet)
efbb7a3dd56a0986d9aecbf51aa4e7c9.jpg

My nice, flat, square box for install
43e8f8ae229e63052c1ed8bdd4aede50.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

greatcaravan

I have been researching for a few months and I feel like I am getting close to the first cut of the roof for a rooftop tent flush mount like this. Thank you so much @asander1 for sharing your ideas!

If you or anyone else have any lessons learned that you might add, it would be much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the added weight on the roof affecting driving capabilities, and the ability to weatherproof the seal between the RTT and the van roof. If you happen to know the dimensions of that steel frame that comes attached to the Trustmade RTT it would be helpful.

asander1

I have been researching for a few months and I feel like I am getting close to the first cut of the roof for a rooftop tent flush mount like this. Thank you so much @asander1 for sharing your ideas!

If you or anyone else have any lessons learned that you might add, it would be much appreciated.

My biggest concern is the added weight on the roof affecting driving capabilities, and the ability to weatherproof the seal between the RTT and the van roof. If you happen to know the dimensions of that steel frame that comes attached to the Trustmade RTT it would be helpful.

Only a couple things I would do different - one is to use nylock nuts instead of lock washers on the bolts that I used to fasten the top to the van/metal frame - one came loose after a few months of driving. The other thing is to find a way to make a trap door maybe to get up and down easier with the bed out, otherwise once you are shut in especially with 2 people it is difficult to pop downstairs for anything without folding up the mattress and sliding the bed panel out of the way completely...

Good luck with the project!

Do you have any more photos with the van built out more? I just Purchased a similar abulance and am thinking of doing the same thing. But I think I would want a larger hole up top so I was thinking of somehow modifying an old truck pop top camper top.

cgreif85

Love your design! Do you think you could pull this design off on a Chevy Express Van or do you think the roof is too curved? Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles