Camping in our 78 Bethany and 97 F150

bruue1

Observer
Thought I'd post some pics of our first camping trip. The plan was to stay at two state parks, over five nights, on the North Shore of Lake Superior in Minnesota at the end of the month of June. The first was to be Gooseberry and the second Cascade. It was my wife and I and our two small children. We bought this old Bethany Pickupper camper last fall, I did some upgrades, simple mods to the camper and the truck to get them to work together and to add a few luxuries (like lights) etc...:sombrero:

When we left home (TC Metro Area) we were leaving the nicest, sunniest, warmest weekend we had had yet this year. 10 miles south of Duluth we drove right into thick fog, visibility of about 40 feet. North of Duluth the fog lifted but the sky was grey drizzle clouds, the temp was a high of 50 and it was very windy. We got to Gooseberry Falls and set up for the night. The weather was freezing, we had hoody sweatshirts and rainjackets over them, we all still cold outside of the camper, and it was constantly drizzling. :snorkel:

A look at the forecast showed that the weather remained the same over the next five days getting colder as we would be trekking further north to Cascade in a couple days. Only to be getting warm and partly cloudy on the day we were supposed to be driving home.

We're not stubborn, we just bought a clean little older 18' i/o boat this year we hadn't used much, and we live by a few lakes. By dinner the first night we decided to go home and spend our summer vacation getting sun burned out on lake in 80 degrees with clear skies rather than trying to enjoy the miserable weather up on the north shore. We left Friday by 330pm Saturday we were home, unpacked and out on the lake getting burned, heat stroked and covered in swimmer's itch. We spent the next 2 out of 3 days doing the same thing. It was a great vacation after all. We even got about half our money for the campsites reimbursed, which was better than I was hoping for. Gotta know when to cut and run, can't be stubborn, we were all very glad we came home right away.

Gooseberry Falls was roaring this year, the water was the highest we ever saw it. Just to see them the one day was probably worht the drive and work. Our little truck ran great, got decent mpgs and our little camper kept us warm and dry and comfortable. With better weather it could have been a perfect trip.

We learned, even at the end of June, in northern MN it would help to pack gloves, winter hats and jackets.

Here's a few pics of our campsite and the waterfalls. Thanks for reading and looking.

bruue1

Observer
Here we are making the best of it. The scenery was still beautiful.

Attachments

• GooseberryFallsCampsite.jpg
    GooseberryFallsCampsite.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 27
  • GoosberryFallsLowerFalls.jpg
    GoosberryFallsLowerFalls.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 27
  • FamilyfrontofwaterfallGoosberry.jpg
    FamilyfrontofwaterfallGoosberry.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26
  • FinnMaggieDaddybySuperior.jpg
    FinnMaggieDaddybySuperior.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 26

bruue1

Observer
The next project for the camper is going to be running water. I got a 10gallon water reservoir and a 12v water pump, sometime in the next month I'll add this system and post pics of the process.

After that I plan on getting a big inverter and mounting a couple 110 outlets on the back of the camper exterior so I can run power tools off my battery bank.

Our next trip will be out to the family ranch in South Dakota in August of September. We'll bring the camper, our utility trailer and a couple wheelers. Mainly I'm going to be residing a little ranch house and putting new windows in it. WE have beautiful horizons out there and we'll find some time to explore with our wheelers too, we'll post some pics of this trip too. Thanks again. I do love this expedition portal.

BillTex

Adventurer
Yeah...don't feel bad about the cut/run. We have done same when the weather won't cooperate. That is the beauty of having a camper...very easy to change plans on the fly whether it is changing destinations, taking a different route...or as you found, bailing out and going home.
You made the right choice...

Bill

kerry

Expedition Leader
We took our Fuso camper up to Saratoga WY this weekend for some camping and canoeing on the North Platte. Wind was so bad, we decided to bag the canoeing even after running the shuttle. Camping was good though. Sometimes it's just better to change plans. Can you imagine what Hitler would have done if he'd simply decided it was a bad decision to invade Russia after all and called it off?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior