Camping trailer build

sgtpoliteness

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. I was recently gifted an old light plant trailer. You know, the construction trailers with the generators and the telescoping light mast? No mast and no generator but it's only got a little surface rust, new tires and everything else is there (doors, stabilizers, the winch for the mast)! And it's even a pintle-style too.

It took me a little while to get the tail/stop/turn signals to work (the ground wire was too small) and I had to find a receiver for the Tahoe. Now it needs a Colorado state patrol inspection for a VIN and we'll have a little trailer to haul all our camping gear next summer! I've got fun plans for it. Solar, deep cycles, slide out cooking area and such.

Here's how it is now. I gotta strip it and paint it.

d8a129fb4318d730292e991666ff3008.jpg

6ffd22c292bfcfc574ecf9eb1104914a.jpg

d2c5395668bb3c9ff02e019ad79e2d55.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turboale

Observer
That was a gift!? What a great starting point... Looking forward to what you do with it.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

sgtpoliteness

Thanks, everyone! Yeah, it was a gift. A co-worker and his buddy are big 'wheelers and he got this for free years ago and never did anything with it. He gave it to me, but there's no title so I'm going through that now.

sgtpoliteness

06d77c03fbd5172d6e3977091c9a927a.jpg

Did some vacuuming and clean up at lunch today. Got some of the flaky paint scrapped off and bombed canned over for now. It'll go into the garage after state patrol inspection for more work.

d20e0abdd5f5ee353fd150b8598dce49.jpg

I also got the fenders bolted on and the harness cleaned up at the tongue. Hurray for progress!

TXtacomaCHL

Sub'd. Kinda crazy I was sitting next to one of those light pole trailers the other day in traffic, thinking that would be perfect. Then I see this a couple days later... very cool man cant wait to see where it goes!!

Rutdigger

Watch This!
I always thought one of those small light pole trailers would make a perfect luggage and snow board pull behind trailer for snowboard trips. Might have to be my next project! Lol :wings:

sgtpoliteness

Got my state patrol inspection all down this morning! Now I just need to get the VIN and a title. It's parked in the garage for the winter so we can clean it up and get some paint on it.

sgtpoliteness

My buddy has the tower. He might give it up. I had planned on solar panels under the doors, but hadn't considered a small wind turbine! In Colorado it's either windy or sunny so we'd be set. That's a good idea!

Roadwarrior

Observer
My buddy has the tower. He might give it up. I had planned on solar panels under the doors, but hadn't considered a small wind turbine! In Colorado it's either windy or sunny so we'd be set. That's a good idea!

I majored in Renewable Energies in college and to be honest, I don't think the turbine would be worth it, a properly sized PV system would be all you need. Under the doors would be good, but a panel can be heavier than you might want everyone you flip open a door.

( I install PV systems currently and I love it, but these panel we install are about 45-50 pounds, but that's for a 4 ft X 5 ft (roughly) panel producing 265 watts at 38 volts )

I was thinking one on the outside and some removable cover - like a rotopax carrier that would also act as protection for the panel - could make it where you charge a battery bank for the camper, just off one panel really..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke