Camping with a dorm/mini Fridge

Ian1357

I was thinking more about using one with with electric hook up. You would probably need a hefty expensive inverter to power one of these.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
Ya know I have a old school one in my building if it still works this be great idea for camp ground w electric
Thx ?

dreadlocks

how do you transport it tho? Chill it at home full of food and do a short hop before everything warms up? Might be good to know how long it takes to go from room temp to cold too, if its just for beer or something and not food I could see it working.. but not if it takes a full day to get its self and its contents to temp.. usually its chilled when you put beer in it.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
As mentioned they are power hogs, but if you are in one place for days with shore power they work fine, no different than an RV with a fridge that gets plugged in.

FlipperFla

I have a Danby in my van, it is energy star rated , I mounted a very small computer whisper fan in the back to circulate the cold air around the cooling plate to give a more uniform temp. A temp sensor and external display to “tune the temp “ in. Also a larger whisper fan in the back facing the compressor so the heat would not transfer into the compartment, these mods raised the efficiency about 30%. If you crank it up it will freeze my food. Spec sheet 1.3A @ 110VAC. $90 Been in the van 5-6 years with no issues.

Attachments

• F9D67D56-9BE7-4EF1-A537-73181B863425.jpeg
    F9D67D56-9BE7-4EF1-A537-73181B863425.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • EBDDB8F5-04EF-4C68-B85D-B267AAF9B9EB.jpeg
    EBDDB8F5-04EF-4C68-B85D-B267AAF9B9EB.jpeg
    920.4 KB · Views: 14

CSG

Explorer
Let's see - dorm fridge, about $100. Portable Expo Rated camping fridge - starts at $500 for less space. You can buy a lot of power for $400. That said, I wouldn't do it. I would use a cooler like a Yeti (what I do for 1-2 overnights) or spend the money for a small camping fridge for longer periods. I do keep a dorm fridge in my studio, however.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior