Can’t decide between GX470 and Sequoia

F350joe

Adventurer
I’m selling the massive 7.3 f350 and I am considering doing something I said I will never do, buy another Toyota. Long story but I had a 3.0 toyota with nothing but problems and a Tacoma that burst into flames with me in it. I don’t tow my boat much anymore, ditched the camper for a tent, so the big diesel should probably go.

I need to downsize, it will be my daily driver as well, but I still need to haul my canoe, small outboard, ebike, and camping gear. The sequoia seems to have more interior cargo space but the lift gate kind of restricts what you can mount in the back. Correct? The Lexus seems like it could fit in more places and, I think, I could mount my outboard and spare on the rear door or bumper. How much can it hold?

I really am torn and may just end up with what I can find the best deal on but I’m hoping some of you will have some insight that will help me make a decision. I’m not doing anything hardcore off-road wise nowadays, probably a small lift and stay with 31” tires or maybe 33’s if it makes since. MPG do matter so I’m looking at post 2006 stuff with the 5 speed. I tend to drive for several hours to get out of town and stick to trails that are not all that technical.

I would consider a trade if anyone is looking to go bigger. It’s a 2000 f350 xlt flatbed with a brand new trans and 3yr transferable warranty, 200k miles. Everything including brakes, bushing, all fluids, even the power door locks have been replaced in the last few thousand miles. Pm me for more info if interested.

Also, what’s up with adding an extra fuel tank to the Lexus? That seems real nice for the added range and I could refill y outboard and my buddies motorcycle while off grid. I could just use the small 3 gallon tank in the canoe and not have to carry extra cans. That’s worth something but is it safe and what is the cost?

GTV

5 speed, VVTi, and the variable intake started in 2005 for the Tundra and Sequoia. That’s what I have. It’s a super comfortable road tripper and capable off roader. It’s also the best bang for buck Toyota 4x4 out there. Just watch out for rust.
Not having driven a GX I’d say it comes down to size, if you need the space get the Sequoia. Also if you can live with that awful back door on the GX.

F350joe

Adventurer
5 speed, VVTi, and the variable intake started in 2005 for the Tundra and Sequoia. That’s what I have. It’s a super comfortable road tripper and capable off roader. It’s also the best bang for buck Toyota 4x4 out there. Just watch out for rust.
Not having driven a GX I’d say it comes down to size, if you need the space get the Sequoia. Also if you can live with that awful back door on the GX.
That rear door is really strange, and looks like the window doesn't open? I think, I could make up for the cargo space by mounting stuff to the strange GX door. Then again, a swing out bumper rack on the Toyota could work too.

yeos

Observer
That rear door is really strange, and looks like the window doesn't open? I think, I could make up for the cargo space by mounting stuff to the strange GX door. Then again, a swing out bumper rack on the Toyota could work too.
The rear window on the GX470 does not open. On the GX460 it does open. I haven't found the rear door of the GX470 to be too much of an annoyance. It only sucks when you have to open or close it on a hill.

etownnc

I was recently in the same situation - went with the Sequoia and have been really happy with the purchase. Finding one with decent miles and no rust took a bit of searching but wound up with a 2007 w/ 100k miles.

F350joe

Adventurer
I was recently in the same situation - went with the Sequoia and have been really happy with the purchase. Finding one with decent miles and no rust took a bit of searching but wound up with a 2007 w/ 100k miles.
The GX is just a bloated 4runner. Blehhhh.

Just get a 4runner

Or get a big boy vehicle and find a clean Sequoia
You guys are killing me. I just decided to go GX and the support for the Sequoia comes up. These two have me thinking the Sequoia is a better value. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/san-diego-2006-toyota-sequoia-limited/6996318611.html. https://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/cto/d/encinitas-2006-toyota-sequoia-limited/6994900052.html. For the same money I’m looking at double the miles in a GX around here.

etownnc

For me it came down to getting a lower mileage vehicle and having as much space as possible as my vehicle doubles for camping and catering/pulling the trailer - I think I would have been very happy with either choice and don't think you can really go wrong either way...