Can we talk coffee brewing?

Errant

Explorer
Any self-respecting Asian grocery store should carry these. We buy them in the 100-pack boxes.

How does the Red compare to the Gold? Maxim Gold is what I always buy in the big boxes to have on hand for backpacking. Anything else, I use my Aeropress.

motovan_mn

How does the Red compare to the Gold? Maxim Gold is what I always buy in the big boxes to have on hand for backpacking. Anything else, I use my Aeropress.

Not a huge difference IMO. The gold seems like it has more creamer/sweetener. MAYBE. I probably couldn't tell you the difference in a blind test.

We also use Aeropress for the most part while camping. Really enjoy using it paired with a nice hand grinder (we have this one). You really have to settle in for the whole experience though. Not great if you're trying to make coffee quickly for a large group of people, which often happens when all your buddies bring instant coffee and then get a whiff of the good stuff.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I know I'm quoting a post that's a couple years old, but are you talking about these instant coffee tubes? We LOVE these. Are they "good" coffee? No. But are they easy, tasty, and provide a nice little sugary boost in the afternoon? Hell yeah!

Any self-respecting Asian grocery store should carry these. We buy them in the 100-pack boxes.

Yes! That's it.

Funny I never thought to go to an Asian market. We have a sizeable Korean community here in the Denver area and there are several Korean markets (I think one is actually called "Ko-Mart.") I will have to check that out. (y)

motovan_mn

Yes! That's it.

Funny I never thought to go to an Asian market. We have a sizeable Korean community here in the Denver area and there are several Korean markets (I think one is actually called "Ko-Mart.") I will have to check that out. (y)

Glad I could be of service! Not coffee related, but also pertains to me previous post of drawing people to your campsite via smell...

While you're there grab some of the pre marinated bbq meats for your next campout and prepare to be envy of everyone within a 5 mile radius :ROFLMAO:

Mattlodi

Just found this thread! I can't live without coffee, every morning i use Melitta ceramic dripper with Starbucks/Illy or Lavazza coffee (it depends on what i found at the store), on the weekend, or when i'm camping i use the Aeropress.
I also have a Lavazza machine at home but I'm using it less and less, I'm trying to ditch the coffee pods.

TwinStick

Explorer
I use a single cup tea infuser when I just need a cup, a Stanley 2 cup percolator with paper filter when I want 2 cups and a Cabelas 14 cup percolator when we have a little company and finally we have the big boy 36 cup Cabelas percolator when we have a family get together & use that one on the Camp Chef Pro 90 X.

They are not exclusively used for coffee either. Sometimes it's tea.

Oscar Mike Gulf Yankee

I prefer Yuban, I just put three scoops in my Bonsenkitchen Coffee maker, it's electric, and I'll make 10 cups for the morning. Nothing special, it's just coffee, no drama, no sir charge for premium caffeine, it's just good coffee. Brews in about 5 minutes, no big deal, don't have to start a bond fire or lite up a stove, just plug it in to the Bluetti 2000 and enjoy the brew. It's the same crap I drink at home, no froth no designer stuff, no special grinder needed, just freaking coffee. How hard can this be?

Reactions: WVI

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
I prefer Yuban, I just put three scoops in my Bonsenkitchen Coffee maker, it's electric, and I'll make 10 cups for the morning. Nothing special, it's just coffee, no drama, no sir charge for premium caffeine, it's just good coffee. Brews in about 5 minutes, no big deal, don't have to start a bond fire or lite up a stove, just plug it in to the Bluetti 2000 and enjoy the brew. It's the same crap I drink at home, no froth no designer stuff, no special grinder needed, just freaking coffee. How hard can this be?
How do you really feel?
Yuban, been drinking it for 40 years

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Same here. I've got a can of Folgers. I don't drink anymore but when I did it was Michelob and a good shot of bourbon. Boring!

Kickapoo Tad

Stainless steel insulated French press with a GCI grinder. I cracked our glass press and when I found the stainless one I was ecstatic.

Now if I could only find a solar powered roaster...

alia176

Explorer
I use an AeroPress but need more coffee than the thing allows. This next question might spark a debate, oh hell, I don't care. Are some of y'all just add more water after pushing the first batch through? I'd imagine some of the drinkers setup a whole new filter with fresh coffee, then wait for four min before plunging?

Just curious, not trying to start anything...... :)

The_Squid

I use an AeroPress but need more coffee than the thing allows. This next question might spark a debate, oh hell, I don't care. Are some of y'all just add more water after pushing the first batch through? I'd imagine some of the drinkers setup a whole new filter with fresh coffee, then wait for four min before plunging?

I make it really strong with the Aeropress and add hot water after... It turns out quite nice.

I just got a hand grinder, so am going to grind the beans fresh now as well.

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer

I've heard people use the Aeropress to make basically an espresso concentrate and then add boiling water to make more cups of coffee .... but I like a strong coffee so I just do about 20ish g of espresso grind and almost fill the press with water. So I can make a tall strong mug of coffee every 5

You could always run another one at the same time, they're cheap and small

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles