Canopy Window Screen Enhancement - Pets & Security

I saw this part on Leer's website when I was looking to get a new interior release handle. Their Pet Screen seems like it would provide a little bit of extra security on the slider windows and keep the dog from pushing the screens out.
(Really do NOT like that all parts have to be ordered through a dealer and that I can't just order on the net, have it show up, and install myself, but that is another topic on its own....)

Local dealer wanted $100 per side for these! They said they had to be custom made and there was not a part #. Leer told me the part number was 115687 for my Canopy. Sigh.......

After looking closer at the pic, I am debating just making my own. Maybe use the existing screws and just go the entire length of the window? Would make cleaning the window a bit of a pain.... Maybe a wing nut system and a few new holes?
Anyone else done this? Or, does anyone have a good source for a small quantity of vinyl-clad wire mesh? Or, is there another material that I should consider? Thanks!

From Leer:
Fabricated of tough vinyl-clad wire mesh, the Pet Screens are securely bolted to the inside frames of our 50/50 Side Sliding Windows and offer enhanced ventilation and safety for your pets. Your cap can become a spacious, comfortable spot for your pet, whether you're on the road or parked somewhere along the way.

leerpetscreens.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
For a custom-fit, bolt-on, I don't think $100/side is outrageous. Yes, you could make something similar but it wouldn't be as clean of a look, wouldn't bolt in as nicely and would require several hours of your time.

I don't know about you, but my free time is worth a lot to me. If this was something I needed I'd pony up the $200 and bolt them on. Now, if it was $500, I'd probably make my own, but $200 seems reasonable.

What it really comes down to is that eternal question: Money or time - which do you want to spend? ;)

Perhaps you are right... Just seems like a lot of money.. :)
I called another dealer who actually looked up the part number, Leer's price was $207 for the set. Guess that is just what it is...
Next time I am in the hardware store I might wander through the wire mesh section and explore options... I leave my dog in a kennel/create, but always leave the screens open when he is back there. I was looking at it more from a security aspect, as I am not to worried about the dog ruining the screen..

rayra

Expedition Leader
I have and do spend my time building custom stuff like that and I'd say the $100 is a bargain for what you'd get. Unless you think to make more than one set or want to accrue the skills and tools to do that sort of work.

yfarm

Observer
1/4 in hardware cloth vinyl coated check your local hardware store, vinyl edging as above. If protection of screen from puncture is your main concern and not security, Home Depot sells rolls of a similar pvc material.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online