Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Update of Update

Got the Jeep back from the shop!

Snorkel installed, the locker is wired up, Synergy Trackbar installed, and a Terraflex Steering Stabilizer with adapter bracket is now on the Jeep. Having the front axle centered really helped the Jeep not want to wonder anymore. Dead straight now unless the wind is pushing me or there is a cowl on the road.

Tires were also rebalanced. Improvement to say the least. Still a bit rough ride but I think that's from the tires being at 30PSI ish and the road quality. After all, it is a Jeep, not a Lexus.

Majority of our camping gear is accounted for. Sleeping bags are from The North Face, good quality sleeping pads, etc.

Hope to go out camping this Saturday to see how the setup works out and see if there need to be any changes before the GDE in May.

More pics will be coming later this weekend.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Oh yea also small thing but I de-badged the Jeep chrome plastic on the grill. I like the classic 7 slot grill and round headlights look as the logo instead of a Jeep logo on the grill.

Presto88

Adventurer
How hard is to do that de-badging? I've been wanting to do that ever since I brought mine home, but am afraid of messing something up.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
How hard is to do that de-badging? I've been wanting to do that ever since I brought mine home, but am afraid of messing something up.

It's not hard but you need time and patience to do it right. Goo Gone, blowdryer and some dental floss are what I used.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Houston we have a problem

Ok so the other day I went to get an alignment done on the Jeep after getting the new trackbar installed primarily to get the steering wheel straightened out.

After driving it for the day the steering wheel was off to the left. I went back in this morning for them to get it fixed and the shop did their best. They re-aligned it 4 different times and tried to get the steering wheel straight. When it was straight on the rack it would shift to the left or right on the test drive.

All my alignment specs are in the green, the caster is about 4.5, camber is about -.5/-.6 and toe is dead on.

The shop pulled up a Jeeps service bulletin from around 2015 on this issue. Problem is is that they don't give a solution to fix the issue. Luckily my Jeep has the extended warranty so hopefully, I can get it to the Jeep dealer in Fort Worth and get them to take a look at it.

Has anyone had this issue before? I tell ya it's times like these I wish I had just gotten a 4Runner or 3rd gen Taco. I know heresy but I like it when my truck just works. Lol.

vbuTXqQ.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Some pics from the ranch.
CQN2IxZ.jpg

HH6bhhR.jpg

Man driving on the highway is amazing now with the new track bar and the new steering stabilizer. I really think the bushings were bad on my old trackbar because the ride now is amazing. Also the new steering stabilizer is great because it doesn't push or pull the steering like the Rancho unit.

Kingfish

Recently finished reading this entire thread, I really like your build. Great info on the Trailgater, that's what I've been looking to get. What interior roof panels do you have?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Ordered up a Tembo Tusk Skottle for the GDE. Can't wait to cook a meal on it!

Currently working out a cooler/ fridge solution for the GDE. My best option is probably going to be a YETI cooler. Need to ask my Uncle if he has one I can use for the trip. Has anyone used a high insulation cooler for a long trip? Any success?

I'm planning on getting a Skottle. Where did you get yours from??

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Recently finished reading this entire thread, I really like your build. Great info on the Trailgater, that's what I've been looking to get. What interior roof panels do you have?

Thanks! The roof insets I have are from HotHead Headliners in black. If I had to do it again I would really recommend getting the sound deadening material.

rubicon91

Explorer
I just got mine through Tembo Tusk online. I think that you can get one from Overland Bound that may be a better deal but not sure.
I have had mine almost 3 years now and have absolutely no regrets buying it i absolutely love mine and cook damn near everything on it while camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Captain Texas

Adventurer
I have had mine almost 3 years now and have absolutely no regrets buying it i absolutely love mine and cook damn near everything on it while camping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Have you found foods that you can't really use the Skottle to cook with? I have only good two meals so far on it.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Welp it looks like the build for the Ghost Divide Expedition is pretty much set. Anything else that I want to get done before then I can't really because I can't go back down to Austin for my shop to do the work.

I could try to find a shop in the DFW area but to be honest, I like to support the guys down in ATX so I'd rather let them mess with the Jeep.

Currently, I am wanting to get some HD steering components installed on the Jeep, probably Synergy MFG to match the track bar I got installed. Does anyone run their drag-link and tie-rod?

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Welp it looks like the build for the Ghost Divide Expedition is pretty much set. Anything else that I want to get done before then I can't really because I can't go back down to Austin for my shop to do the work.

I could try to find a shop in the DFW area but to be honest, I like to support the guys down in ATX so I'd rather let them mess with the Jeep.

Currently, I am wanting to get some HD steering components installed on the Jeep, probably Synergy MFG to match the track bar I got installed. Does anyone run their drag-link and tie-rod?

I run the SteerSmarts stuff and its pretty stout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier