Cargo basket vs. cargo box

asteffes

Explorer
So I'm curious about why one might choose a cargo basket over a cargo box (think Yakima or Thule style) when equipping an expedition vehicle. While a box may not accomodate oddly-shaped loads, it would be good for keeping items clean, protected and out-of-sight.

I ask because after my trip to Colorado and back my roof rack was absolutely filthy, as were the skis I had mounted in a Thule carrier. My off-road lights were also pretty gunked-up (I love that phrase.) I am considering selling my Thule ski mounts and purchasing an 11 or 16 cubic foot Thule or Yakima cargo box. It would have the added benefit of keeping ski boots, sleeping bags and other items clean and dry while accomodating skis, shovels and the like.

Any thoughts?

paulj

Expedition Leader
While I have used a Yakima Basketcase and Seattle Sports bag, I've been happier with a Thule Sidekick box. These are on the small side, 7-8 cubic feet. As you say the box keeps gear out of sight, and clean (even on dusty roads). Generally access to the box is easier. Also a box is more aerodynamic.

For a well defined set of awkward loads, like a spare tire, jack, cans, etc as basket like the Loadwarrior is probably better, since it allows you to secure those items individually. But for bulky light items, the box is better all around. Storage of the box off the car may be problem, though a small one like the Sidekick can be kept on top of a tall shelf in an apartment.

A combination might be useful - half the rack occupied by a narrow box, and the half a platform or basket. Bestop has a plastic basket that might work for this.

paulj

60seriesguy

Adventurer
I use my roofrack as a sleeping platform, it sleeps two pretty comfortably. I also use it to carry fuel, which I wouldn't want to carry inside a box. Finally, I can't see a 35" spare tire fitting in one of those boxes unless it's one of those Sears "Big Mac" containers that would decrease fuel economy by a couple of miles per gallon!

Cargo boxes are nice for certain things (like skis, or luggage), but for a serious expedition, you'll probably need at least *some* open storage.

Scott Brady

Founder
I like Pauls suggestion, and agree. I am planning on having a Thule box and half backet available for my truck for the really gear heavy trips. I really like the idea of having the bags out of the dust and rain.

672.jpg

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
Ya know I have mixed feeling. Although it is convenience I worry about the box for the trips we do for a few reasons. First there is no good way to secure Items in the box so things can flop around in there. I suppose You could add some tie down to it on the inside however. It will limit the size fo items you can carry. Not that we want to put alot of heavy stuff but unless you are running a super wide rack you can not carry canoes/kayaks easily.

With a basket you atleast have areas to mount lights, shovel, hi lift and by adding some small boxes. I like the York boxes you can have dry storage for sleeping gear, first aid, etc. These boxes are half the price of Pelican and Srorm and although not sumbersion proof dry they work perfect as a roof box.

Here is alink to the york pack The bottom of the side handle sits about 1/4 higher then the side bars of a yakima load/mega warrior rack. Perfect for securing to the rack and even running a cable lock.

There is no denying the fact the boxes are nice. I just do not like the idea of gear flying around in there.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=3068

HongerVenture

Adventurer
What has worked really well for me is having a water-tight ATV toolbox mounted inside of my basket. You can see it in the picture below. I can stand on my bumper and access my recovery gear that is safely stowed in that toolbox. I'd like to eventually get one more and mount them on either side of the basket, with room between and in front for more awkward objects. It is very nice to have the contents kept free of water and dust.

This particular box is from Cabellas; rugged and simple albeit a little pricey.

RearRigShot.jpg

chet

island Explorer
I have a basket for bulky things like my chainsaw case, cooler etc. I wouldn't mind trying a case though. Then I could put sleeping bags etc up there. I may get a big water proof duffle to throw all that stuff into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94