Cat Vs Cummins

Jeep

Supporting Sponsor: Overland Explorer Expedition V
I am about to purchase my truck to build my camper on. I have it down to a Freightliner FL70 but would like to hear some opinions from anybody with Cat engine experience, more specifically the 3126. I have lots of Cummins experience and that sways me toward the 8.3. I can get 300 HP out of it at factory settings, I buy OE parts at OE pricing, I have seen several go well over 500 000 miles before a rebuild. We generally roll a set of bearings in one anywhere between 300 000 and 400 000 miles, we have replaced head gaskets before that though. Is the Cat a better engine? Does the maintenance sound similar? The most I have seen the 3126 rated at is 250 HP, can it be bumped up a bit? Reliability and longevity is the key as I will most likely be keeping this rig for 20-25 years, although it will not see excessive miles. I am looking at 1998 and newer trucks and have found several with under 100 000 miles.

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

haven

Expedition Leader
cat service

For use in North America, either Cummins or Cat would be a fine choice. For use on other continents, Cat would have the advantage because of the availability of service. If world-wide service is important, also consider an engine from Mercedes Benz. These are not as common in the FL70 as Cat, but the are available.

Chip Haven

Jeep

This will be used from the Arctic to Argentina, Cummins has very good support across both continents as well, and I have a ton of experience with them. I am pretty green on the mid sized Cat and am looking for all considerations for this project. I'd like to do this once (although it's my second time around!) and do not want to wish I had made a different choice later. Due to the fact I have zero Mercedes experience and will not go that route.

Thanks,
Mark

Mobryan

Adventurer
In general, I'd vote for the Cat in this kind of application, BUT...

It sounds like you can work on a 8.3 with one arm broke, which is, in my mind, nearly as important, if not more so, then any slight edge in reliability or durability that the Cat would give you.

Matt

Jeep

Well I found a nice little FL70 crew cab with a Cummins in it, I posted the same question on a couple of diesel forums and the Cummins seemed a little more favored in that engine category. My lack of experience with Cat was also a huge deciding factor.
Thanks again,
Mark

Lynn

Expedition Leader
That sounds like it's going to be a great rig. Don't forget to take lots of pictures and let us come along on the build!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles