CB solution -- no drilling

edgear

aventurero, Overland Certified OC0012
For those of you that want to be able to communicate via CB while out on the trail, but don't want to drill any holes into your rig, here is a good solution:

pRS1C-2266305w345.jpg

I've been using this RadioShack handheld unit for a few years now, along with a magnetic roof-mount antennae. I hope someday to upgrade to a 2M radio. Is anyone aware of a decent handheld 2M radio, or are they all units that need to be hard mounted?

Ric

Adventurer
true but Ive heard the handhelds dont work very good, on the 4Runner or Tacos you can do this:
IMG_2954.jpg

its a Cobra cb, fits perfect under the radio, radio was only $50 online at walmart.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
That Radio Shack handheld CB is $100! For that kind of money you can buy a Yeasu VX-150 or Kenwood TH-K2, both nice 5 watt, very capable 2 meter handhelds. Heck, the Alinco DJ-S11 is only $85, although it's only got like a 0.5W transmitter it's about the size of a deck of cards.

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
Ric said:
true but Ive heard the handhelds dont work very good, on the 4Runner or Tacos you can do this:
IMG_2954.jpg

its a Cobra cb, fits perfect under the radio, radio was only $50 online at walmart.

Go-Go-Gadget-Taco!
Do you get distracted driving that thing?

I have the same handheld CB as Tacozona but I have a much better antenna. It works great (for a CB) after I tuned the antenna. Ill be heading down the 2M path soon though.

Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I can vouch for the Dude's 2M handheld. I borrowed it in Death Valley and it worked great for listening in on group chat. And yes, I really was listening.

I've got a Cobra Road Trip handheld CB that I've had for a few years. It works well and has come handy on a few occasions, for spotting guys from outside the vehicle or to lend to another person in the group when their CB's mic died. I liked the idea of having it in case I ever had to walk out. Even with a short range, while walking out one could call for help maybe, a mobile comm station if you will.

Another no-drill CB radio solution is the Cobra 75WXST. It's their all in the handset model. It takes a little getting used to but I'm happy with it's performance. Again, not as long range as a 2M, but a neat & tidy little unit. I guess technically I did drill two holes for the mic clip, but no cutting or drilling into the center stack.

I've used FRS's, CB's and a 2M during group outings and they all have their merits. From what I can tell, the best radio to use seems to be the one everyone else in your group is using! :smiley_drive:

Ric

Adventurer
Do you get distracted driving that thing?
not at all, the GPS, is only mounted when Im wheeling, (every weekend) and Im not talking on the cell, smoking a cig., and trying to read something all while driving, lol.

Ric

Adventurer
thankx, Ive only had it for about a week, but havent turned on the Aline since, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior