Charging Duracell AGM with Victron Smartsolar

john61ct

Adventurer
Just to be clear, use of "local" above is I believe intended to mean ambient at the SC, internal sensor

"remote" then being "at the bank".

Note the SC should be installed quite close to the bank anyway.

But I believe at least for the smaller units, the internal - sensor compensation mechanism just doesn't work properly, if implemented at all?

So in effect you need the add-on sensor in any case.

another_mike

Adventurer
Well, my charge controller is inside the van and my batteries are underneath the van where the spare tire was previously. I’m sure interior temps in the closed van can easily be at least 20 degrees difference, which is why I chose the remote sensor.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I'm wondering if you can confirm your whole profile after this whole discussion? I've just installed the same combo, and want to make sure I treat my battery right.

jonyjoe101

Adventurer
something no one mention was voltage drop. Whatever profile you choose, check the voltage at battery terminals with voltmeter. Bounce that reading with what the solar controller is putting out. In my situation I had a 1/2 volt differential from controller to battery. Controller read 14.4 volts, battery terminals read 13.9 volts, I was undercharging my agm for years.
With voltage drop the controller will switch from bulk to float too soon. Not fully charging your agm, will shortened its life.

dreadlocks

@Herbie just use the out of the box AGM profile unless manufacturer provides documentation for optimal charge parameters.. which Duracell isint AFIK.

@jonyjoe101 a Victron BMV will feed voltage at terminal to the SmartSolar via VE Networking and automatically compensate, it can also provide temperature readings for temp compensation while charging or low temp cut off for LFP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne