Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

BCzuk

Observer
Well my cheap fridge deal was short lived. Edgestar said all they will do is refund me the money. I had to send a picture showing the back of the fridge and the power cord cut and they issued the refund.

Now I guess I have to take it apart and see what's going on

JLee

Adventurer
Well my cheap fridge deal was short lived. Edgestar said all they will do is refund me the money. I had to send a picture showing the back of the fridge and the power cord cut and they issued the refund.

Now I guess I have to take it apart and see what's going on

They wanted you to cut the power cord and they let you keep the fridge? Hopefully you can sort it out and end up with a free fridge - the cord will be an easy fix, at least! Maybe an appliance repair shop could take a look at it if you can't sort it out with Google?

BCzuk

Observer
They wanted you to cut the power cord and they let you keep the fridge? Hopefully you can sort it out and end up with a free fridge - the cord will be an easy fix, at least! Maybe an appliance repair shop could take a look at it if you can't sort it out with Google?

It seems odd but yes that is what they asked me to do. Funny since the 120 volt cord is just a computer cord that plugs into the fridge. After I sent the pic they refunded the money but also asked if I could take off serial number plate before disposing of the fridge.

As for the fridge it looks like it needs a new compressor controller. Weird how they weren't even interested in what was wrong with it.

JLee

Adventurer
It seems odd but yes that is what they asked me to do. Funny since the 120 volt cord is just a computer cord that plugs into the fridge. After I sent the pic they refunded the money but also asked if I could take off serial number plate before disposing of the fridge.

As for the fridge it looks like it needs a new compressor controller. Weird how they weren't even interested in what was wrong with it.

It's probably cheaper for them to just write it off than it is to deal with return shipping, repair, resale, etc.

Xterabl

Adventurer
If the compressor is good and sealed, you can fix this for much less than your initial investment. Good deal for you!!! Search the boating forums for controllers, etc.

TacomaAustin

Observer
Indel TB-41A

Look at what I found after work, just sitting on my storage trunk by my front door.

indel_TF41A.jpg

While the goal of this thread is for a fridge for less than $400, I'm quite pleased to get an Indel Travel Box for $411.75 with free shipping.

It's part of a TruckFridge Group Buy offer to the end of the month over on Tacomaworld.com. Click on the Forums icon and then for the Group Buys subsection.

All the best from Austin, TX

Last edited:

tony_h

You can also get a coupon code from the Truckfridge.com Facebook page to get the same deal. I got mine yesterday and am excited to use it!

teddyearp

Adventurer
Well, I am back from a three week camping trip to Arizona. I bought a dented Edgestar FP430 for about $260 shipped. I don't have pictures, but there was about a two inch long and maybe half inch deep dent in the lower front of the unit. It also has a drain plug and as I posted the 12v plug has a right angle plug where it goes into the unit. I just tossed it on the back seat of my Liberty and off I went. I made no modifications.

I could not be happier. I originally set the temps to 33, but after two days even in the 99 degree Eastern Oregon and Utah temps, the frozen meat I put in the small part was still frozen. Thirty-five ended up being the magic number. This thing was what I should have had for sometime now. My food wasn't stuck down in the water, my beverages didn't have to be dried off, etc., etc., etc., all the cool stuff and reasons we go with a unit like this instead of something like a Yeti.

There was a couple of times my starter seemed a bit slower, but that was after about 18 hours parked. Maybe twice did I have to play with the cigarette lighter plug in the back of my Jeep and I am sure once was because I had been throwing firewood in there. One time I did park for about 24 hours and my battery was run down, but that is why I carry an OEM Tools PPS-1.

Seriously folks, this is the way to go, even though some get bad units; I did get lucky. Very lucky indeed.

Thank you for this thread.

BCzuk

Observer
It's probably cheaper for them to just write it off than it is to deal with return shipping, repair, resale, etc.

True enough and it worked out well for me after some messing around :)

If the compressor is good and sealed, you can fix this for much less than your initial investment. Good deal for you!!! Search the boating forums for controllers, etc.

Through a buddy I recieved a controller from an ARB fridge (DanFross) and hooked it up tonight. Fridge is working well now! So I have the good DanFross controller with the simplicity of the manual thermostat. Should be good to go once I find my ideal temp

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I just let my email to be notified when Its in stock again. I am going to get it shipped to my Florida address, then shipped to me in canada after! At 149.00.....You cannot loose. Cold front 43qt, not a battery drain...maybe a scratch or two....perfect for the back of my Jeep. I think it will still fit with my action packers etc too!

JM Wands

Hey all, we just grabbed a 43qt scratch and dent and so far so good. I did have a question for the group. As you can see in the pictures, the top is different than any I have seen. A middle latch (very robust) and the plastic handle is in the center. Also, there is no fastfreeze function or button. All else seems the same. I am very impressed with the quality of the build and seemingly hardy build on this unit. The only damage I can see is on the rear lower left corner (in pic) near the vent is a small drop dent. Can't wait to get it out of our temporary kitchen and in the truck!

IMG_0356.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0358.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles