Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

JLee

Adventurer
They're currently $449 + free ship new on Amazon... I don't see why so much hub-bub over trying to get the "scratch & dent" ones when they're not that expensive from the get-go.

I bought my FP430 exactly 6 years ago (new), and except for some flimsiness of the plastic handles, hinges, and the DC power cable (all very easily replaced with better, as has been discussed in depth here and in other threads), it's been an excellent fridge with excellent temperature uniformity too (it gets maybe 1-2°F colder up on the shelf above the motor unit where the cooling coil is vs. down at the very bottom). There are popular fridges out there with worse performance than the Edgestar selling for much more.

I would say bite the bullet (it's not that big of a bullet) and get a nice dent-free new one. I doubt you'd regret it. Then you'll be able to put your own dents in it lol (yeah they do dent somewhat easily).

The 63qt is $549 on Amazon. I paid $212...that's a fairly substantial difference, IMO.

teddyearp

Adventurer
They're currently $449 + free ship new on Amazon... I don't see why so much hub-bub over trying to get the "scratch & dent" ones when they're not that expensive from the get-go.

I bought my FP430 exactly 6 years ago (new), and except for some flimsiness of the plastic handles, hinges, and the DC power cable (all very easily replaced with better, as has been discussed in depth here and in other threads), it's been an excellent fridge with excellent temperature uniformity too (it gets maybe 1-2°F colder up on the shelf above the motor unit where the cooling coil is vs. down at the very bottom). There are popular fridges out there with worse performance than the Edgestar selling for much more.

I would say bite the bullet (it's not that big of a bullet) and get a nice dent-free new one. I doubt you'd regret it. Then you'll be able to put your own dents in it lol (yeah they do dent somewhat easily).

The 63qt is $549 on Amazon. I paid $212...that's a fairly substantial difference, IMO.

Yeah, for my FP430 I paid $258 instead of $449, a savings of 43%, almost half! For me $191 is/was way too big of a bullet to bite. More like made the difference between yes and no.

4x4junkie

Explorer
I guess it's when I see other same or lesser-performing fridges that sell for $800 or more, $449 looks quite good to me.

My luck with refurbished products (what most of those scratch & dents mostly are) has been about 50/50, regardless of product type (refurb Creative MP3 player = excellent, refurb RCA CD player = fail, refurb Uniden CB = good after having to adjust the receive on it, refurb Ford starter motor for friend's vehicle = fail (had to exchange it twice before getting one that worked or wasn't noisy).

So i tend to shy away from them.

Presto88

Adventurer
Thanks for the push, 4x4junkie. I sort of agree with those other guys about it being a great deal and all, but I really just want to get this DONE and what you said sounds just like something I've said a hundred times over to other people under different circumstances! Anyway, we've got a holiday weekend coming up and it sure would be nice to have a fridge for the Jeep!

I went out and measured the space in the back of the JKU and the 43qt will fit easily! Woohoo! So I came back inside and ordered it off Amazon (Really it's from Compact Appliance). Should arrive next Monday-Thursday.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Initial review~sure, a novel

I received my unit last Tuesday, June 21 just as I posted. Here in my tiny town, FedEx has gotten used to delivering my packages to work, works for me and them. The FedEx guy asked for a bit of help as this thing came in a very large box. I was a bit perplexed when I saw the label on the side of the box and that is the side that was up in the FedEx van. Then when we put it into the back of my work pickup we put it with the FedEx label right side up. I just had to check. Sure enough, it was upside down and this label orientation had the unit shipping either on its end or upside down. Oh! I called openboxdirect right away and after waiting a while, my concerns were 'registered' and the rep also gave me his direct line so I wouldn't have to wait on hold so long. Oh yeah, he said to put it back right side up and leave it for 24hrs, which is pretty much SOP for a fridge unit. Thx OPD!

Once I got it home, I pushed and grunted and shoved and grunted and adjusted seats and grunted and stuff to put the whole package into the passenger side back seat of my '06 KJ. Whew! It wasn't easy at all. But that is where it has to go with my camping/expo load out. And then the weather and other things let me procrastinate further inspections and testing until today.

Today, I drug out the inner box (I had already opened the outer box to check orientation) from the outer box and then after much grunting and pulling and grunting got the outer box out of my back seat and out of the way. Opened the inner box and there it was. Lifted the unit out to check it out. Yep, there was the dent. On the lower left front side. The control panel looked very good and then there was a couple of pleasant surprises. One was that it has a drain plug. Thought that was on older units. The other one that I like even better was the whole layout of the 12v cord. The part that plugs into the unit itself has a 90 degree to the rear plug, and the one that I used to plug into the outlet in the rear of my KJ required some very positive 'force' leading me to believe that they may have decided to take some of our concerns here to improve that 12v cord.

Once plugged in, it looked like it was already on "FF" mode. The unit fired right up. I took it off FF mode and decided to set it to about 33 degrees and then left it for a couple minutes to make sure that I wouldn't have the "need to put heavier wire to the back" issue. I didn't. It started and said it was at 76 then 77 then 78 and then the temps started dropping. I started my Jeep for a couple of minutes then figured I'd let it go without the engine running. After all, I'm at home and what would be the worst thing to happen, charge the battery?

About 50 minutes later it was heading south of 29 degrees and still going. I ended up having to double check how to set the temp and so it is not a fault of the panel, just the user, lol. And it was very cold inside. Jeep started just fine after this trial run. I think I will be happy as can be with this unit. I would never pay the $449, but for $258 (the price of those super Yeti and other coolers) it is a bargain with all the pluses of not using ice.

Hopefully we will see what jzzr83 thinks about it.

BCzuk

Observer
Last edited:

TacomaAustin

Observer
I pulled the trigger on Tuesday - for one Koldfront 43QT. The last time I checked my order # - it showed to be back ordered.

OBD has a been known not to have items in stock at the time of sale, which seems a bit scammy to me. Open Box Direct - a.k.a Living Direct - are located about 10 minutes from my house.

So, I'll be checking in with them, both by phone and maybe a visit.

Edit: July 8th 2016 - Status on the order has been updated to: - We will email you updates regarding the status of your order including when your item ships. -

Last edited:

jzzr83

Hopefully we will see what jzzr83 thinks about it.

I was able to take it out of the packaging today. It was shipped in a larger used box cut down so that this will fit. Large foam corner protectors were taped to each corner.

20160707_200217.jpg

I could immediately see many scratches on the top. I could not get a good picture showing them. It looks like a brick sat on the top and then someone drove down a dirt road.

20160707_200317.jpg

For this price I don't care! I knew something would be wrong with it...

20160707_200604.jpg

Still not bad enough for me to care. Those dents are on the front and back.

A few more pics of what the contents were...

20160707_200638.jpg

20160707_200722.jpg

20160707_201514.jpg

The 12/24 volt plug was pretty wimpy as all other have seen. I'll either buy a new one or make a better one. Now that I think of it, a sister company of the one I work at can make custom cables. I'll check with them and see what it would cost (too much, I'm sure of it).

20160707_200834.jpg

When I plugged it in in the living room it showed FF. No manual came with it so I pushed a bunch of buttons and it seemed to be set at -1. I changed it to 36 and it showed that the internal temp was 73. Same as my living room...weird. By the time I helped with the kids bath and wrote this up it has been almost 35 minutes and it is showing 30...31. If this unit runs for more than a year I'll be happy.

What is up with the "SET AT 44" sticker below the control panel? Is that from the previous owner? It now says 32.

If my pics don't work I won't be surprised. I've never attached pictures until this attempt. Now it is at 35. Not bad for $257. (I am using an old macbook and I can't get the pictures to upload horizontal for two of them...you will just have to rotate your screen.)

acg

Adventurer
FF means Flash Freeze. It will ramp up to freezing temp within 10 minutes when first plugged in.

BCzuk

Observer
Received my Koldfront fridge the other day and everything came in one piece. Plug it in tonight in the garage for a few hours and it isn't cooling. The fan on the condenser cycles on and off on and off but other than that nothing :(
I watched the trouble shooting video and opened the panel to check the wire connections and everything is plugged in and secure

Being an open box item you'd think it would be fully tested before being resold

General Automag

Adventurer
Ironman4x4 Fridge Freezer 4-year update

'Just an update. We've had our Ironman4x4 50L fridge/freezer for just over 4 years now, and we've had perfect performance. It cost over $400 including the cover and a longer DC cord from Truckfridge.com (the same units under a different brand), but we have no regrets based on the performance.

We've used it a lot for off-road camping trips (excuse me... "expedition travel"), and it performed admirably. For shorter trips it would be nice to have a second one in a smaller size.

FYI, we had it plugged in to an AC 110V outlet and running continually for 11-1/2 months while we were building our home. We used it as an extra cooler and freezer. I'm impressed.

TacomaAustin

Observer
I missed out on the $175 Koldfront 43 quart. Open Box Direct cancelled the order.

So, I just pulled the trigger on a an Indel B TF41 from TruckFridge - $411.75 shipped, with the promo code advertised on the Tacomaworld web site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles