Cheap tricks and solutions - product modifications, DIY, or repurposed items- not on-sale items

NevetsG

Com on people, I haven't been around for a long time, and this thread is lagging. I'm going to need to dig out some of the projects I did over the past COVID year and post them. Been rebuilding my boat, so I've come up with some new ones that could cross over to expedition camping.

dbhost

I just stumbled on this thread, so here goes nothing...

In my Joolca Ensuite Double Tour video I did recently, I showed the at that time updates. I modded my Zodi Instant Hot Shower for quick disconnects, and silicone tubing instead of the garbage plastic stuff they used OEM.

Starting at time index 1:35 I think...

Starting at time index 3:50 I show off my ensuite plumbing job I did. I can keep the shower head and tubing in the shower tent when I pack it up without having to pull it out. I also have a decent reach like a handheld shower at home.

Since this video, and honestly since Prime Day, I replaced the pump, and shower head with an Ivation USB rechargeable pump, and shower head. It moves more water, doesn't create the stream of spent D cell batteries, and puts the switch at easier reach...

It can be noted by my posts here, and elsewhere I have been going back and forth a LOT on how best to heat water for showers, and I think I am settling for the black bucket solar heating, top it off with heating water on the stovetop then mixing method. Budget notwithstanding, the added room sucked up by a camp hot water heater just isn't worth it to me. I want it to be, honestly I do, but without the instant start / shut off of a Camplux or Joolca, the convenience isn't there, and the instant start models are too bulky and require a bulk propane tank, when my main fuel is Regular Unleaded gasoline, or white gas. It doesn't make sense for me.

Back near the turn of the year, I picked up a trash cheap priced little basic sewing machine and have since sewed up several purpose made stuff sacks.

One for my stakes, mallet, stake puller, and added guy lines.
20210214-223323.jpg

and another for my cook set.
CookKit4.jpg

I still need a LOT of practice sewing, but I want to design and sew a rainfly extension for my cabin tent rainfly to act as a bridge between the cabin tent and the EZ Up...

Since I use a folding kitchen table thing. I don't know if I should go with a purpose made kitchen gadget roll, or a chuck box. I am thinking gadget rolls would be easier to deal with when travelling by Sedan or Jeep... Better able to stash items in smaller spaces.

I am CPAP therapy dependent, and during our big freeze in February, I found the limits of my jump starter pack, and decided to build a much bigger capacity unit that met my needs better. The charging circuit is NOT done, but I am planning on a marine onboard charger that will take no more than 5 amps. at 110V so my Tailgator generator won't barf on it.
20210403-181646.jpg

No photos, but the drain deal from my Cabelas Deluxe campers kitchen sink broke within the first year I had it. The reliance folding water carrier cap / spout fits perfectly. I attached a piece of PVC tubing to it and run it to a gray water catch bucket.

Also no photos, but I have upcycled for various uses in camp and on the trail 35lb kitty litter tubs. 2 of them painted black as solar / passive water heating buckets for the shower. We shove clothes, jackets etc... in 2 more that are painted dark blue to kind of match the tent that I use as night stands / dressers.

Another no photos, yet, but to be blunt, I'm fat, so I need a heavy duty bed. My wife loves a king size bed, so we came up with the idea of pairing together 2 double high heavy duty twin size air beds, rolling out a discarded because my BIL didn't like how squishy it was, I believe a Walmart 2" memory foam topper, and then bind it all together with ultra deep pocket king mattress fitted sheet from Goodwill... My side is nice and firm, hers is nice and soft. And we carry spare mattresses and patch kits just in case... The memory foam topper gets rolled up in the sheet and squished down as tight as we can go, and then I bungee it to hold it together.

And lastly, no real need for a photo but I can take one if you want. I repurposed an early 90s Slumberjack stuff sack to hold all my potable water components. I.E. for the time being, potable water hose, filter, anti stress thingy hunk o hose on a spring no idea what it is called, and the pressure regulator. Hopefully it will be large enough for the upcoming pump...

I've probably mentioned this here before, but if you are looking at saving $$, look to the used market for gear, and if space is an issue, and you don't HAVE to have that propane doo dad, look seriously at white gas or dual fuel. I got a Coleman 425F 2 burner white gas stove in nearly new shape for $25.00, and had good as new working Coleman Catalytic heaters literally given to me free.

Last edited:

pith helmet

Great thread. Glad it was revived, I had never found it.
Home brew roof racks, 1995 and 2020.
EF88D8CF-5D79-409B-A77B-A1935773A7AA.jpeg5A6AA13D-6EE8-4650-B1F9-B01BF013ADC6.jpeg

Last edited:

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
I refused to pay the ridiculous price and wait almost a year for the various Gladiator toppers available. I found an old ARE contractor topper and shortened it 13 inches. Fits reasonably well and now I have terrific bed access and a nice rack for those longer things. All-in project cost $400.00290605830_10219598860395242_4472093649858810183_n.jpgIMG_4884[1].JPGIMG_4890.JPGIMG_4899.JPGIMG_4969.JPG294610411_10219703638374626_4316928651795703809_n.jpgIMG_4991.JPGIMG_5063.JPGIMG_5023.JPG

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Great thread,
Heard a great quote not long ago, " Americans are going to learn to do with less"
Ha ha.. challenge accepted!

TwinStick

Explorer
Stanley Outdoor Products is a great low cost way to buy new items. If you do, check out Waypoint Survival videos on YouTube. He has some very easy, very inexpensive mods to make Stanley cook products even more versatile. They are short & to the point.

I have done many of them to my Stanley cookware. Plus they are just neat, fun little projects.

Mccaf

Adventurist
Stanley Outdoor Products is a great low cost way to buy new items. If you do, check out Waypoint Survival videos on YouTube. He has some very easy, very inexpensive mods to make Stanley cook products even more versatile. They are short & to the point.

I have done many of them to my Stanley cookware. Plus they are just neat, fun little projects.

that guy is freeking clever! Cooked eggs in a soda can? Wow.

dbhost

Repurposed / cheap items that help out...

Well I haven't been backpacking for nearly 2 decades due to back injury, so my backpacking gear MIGHT count as repurposed, but maybe not.

My large stainless tumblers and insulated half gallon water jug that I use to take good coffee to work instead of the gruel they have in the common area get used in camp.

My 1980s American Camper nesting cook set actually does NOT see service exactly, I use them at home instead of in camp. Long story involving getting rid of teflon and other synthetics.

I found an old no name tent being thrown out due to broken poles that I salvaged the stakes, fabric and zippers from. So far it is 3 various stowage bags for my gear.

I went with a cheap Ozark Trail camping tarp 12x12 pitched over the camper shell to give me covered side windows and covered entry / exit into the camper shell / shaded living space.

Repurposed an old set of freebie kitchen knives in a roll pouch for camp cuisine use.

Reactions: WVI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne