Chevrolet Tracker (Suzuki Grand Vitara) Micro-Camper

This is fantastic!

How much length do you have for the bed, once it is extended? I have a very poor man's version of this, with a sleeping platform built seat-of-the-pants in an afternoon out of an old futon frame that I had available, and I only get roughly 5'8" or so from the pushed-forward front seat to the rear of the vehicle.

Almir Almeida

This is fantastic!

How much length do you have for the bed, once it is extended? I have a very poor man's version of this, with a sleeping platform built seat-of-the-pants in an afternoon out of an old futon frame that I had available, and I only get roughly 5'8" or so from the pushed-forward front seat to the rear of the vehicle.

Thanks!

The Tracker / Grand Vitara is a very compact SUV. If it was a Grand Vitara SX7 would be much spacious. After extended the platform allows a mattress of up to 1.85 Meters (6'1") by 1.3M (4'3"), being comfortable for two persons up to 1.8M (5'11"). But if only one person is sleeping diagonally, can be up to 2.0M (6'6"). But to gain more space the platform should be higher. I am also considering the extent from the pushed-forward front seat to the back door. I do not know if your front seat going forward as well, to almost touch the steering wheel, like mine.

length1.jpg length2.jpg

Last edited:

outonalimshaw

This looks great! Fantastic design to maximise the space. We are thinking of doing something similar to a Suzuki Grand Vitara, do you have the measurements you used for the bed base? Thanks!

Chili

Explorer
Great job for sure!

Way back I had a 2 door Chevy Tracker ('99 model) and it was a decent little rig. I enjoyed the heck out of it, even though friends made fun of it, calling it a Barbie car or Roller Skate because it was so small. :p

chipsahoy

Wow your camper build is ************! Love that your car is not the typical overland vehicle. Can you tell me what materials you used to make your new mattress?

mattjans

Thanks so much for the details! I'm at the start of my build. 2002 Chevy Tracker. Any advice on which part to do first? I'm thinking remove the seats and put in the storage boxes.

Do they attach to the body somehow?

I see you used MDF for them. Any advice on the hinges and slides? Thanks!

mattjans

PS - For the OP or anyone else following the thread, I'm wondering what the surface of the MDF he used for his camping box (drawers, etc.) is made of. Looks like it has some texture to it. I'm searching for MDF with that kind of texture, but not finding much. Might also be cheaper to buy basic MDF and then coat it myself with something like this: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Rubberized-Coatings/N-5yc1vZc8kf

Pure noob here, so I'll take any recommendations. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke