Chevy 3500 Bus Suspension Questions: Top Heavy

zelseman

Observer
We have been running around the American West for 3 months in our converted skoolie and we have really enjoyed the short bus chassis for getting off the road and boon docking every night.
We have noticed however, that the bus is pretty top heavy and tippy. We can feel the box rock through low-speed turns and when creeping over obstacles and any kind of uneven terrain.

What are other full-size rigs doing to offset the height and weight of big rigs?
Does anyone in an ambulance, school bus, or slide in camper have any suggestions for reducing roll and maintaining flex?

I have been thinking about adding air bag helper springs or a few extra leaf springs, but I don't really know if that is an option. Maybe a rear sway bar?

Any help is greatly appreciated and below is a photo just for giggles...
IMG_2183.jpg

Sway bar first. I’d reach out to Roadmaster in Washington state. They make bars for large rigs. Next up I’d start working on springs. A custom spring pack will help for sure but begin to harshen the ride. Airbags are also a good alternative. If you add bags be SURE you have them set up on individual lines. Not combined. When plumbed together they will make sway worse. Seperate and they will help.

I have all of those options on my truck. Each helped and together I’m getting to where I want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles