Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison, COMING SOON!

Jc1986.carter

So if this follows in the same footsteps as AEV does for Jeeps and RAMs this should put it in the ballpark park of 80k plus for a midsize pickup... (not knocking anyone who has or will have an AEV vehicle it’s just they are super expensive)

Also is AEV connected with the Bison project or is everyone just using it for an example of what they hope GM does with the possible project?

Either way it’s going to be awesome if GM does produce them.

haven

Expedition Leader
This appears to be the same concept vehicle that AEV and Chevrolet showed at SEMA in November 2017. Main features are a suspension lift, 35 inch tires on beadlock wheels, and full underbody protection. Read about it here, plus a Raptor-esque ZR2 with a body lift for high speed desert shenanigans.
https://www.autoblog.com/2017/10/31/chevy-colorado-zr2-aev-and-race-development-trucks-sema

The good news is that Chevrolet is telling dealers that they plan to move from concept to a production version of this model. They recently trademarked “zr2 bison.” AEV uses an image of a bison in its logo.

The reports I’ve read speculate that the price of the ZR2 Bison, including Chevrolet-designed longer travel suspension, AEV bead locks, AEV full underbody protection, and AEV bumpers, will start in the $45-$47K price range.

Amazing — a truck like this, available straight off the showroom floor, with full factory warranty, plus Diesel engine option!

Here is one example of a recent article
http://www.off-road.com/blog/2018/0...d-for-production-with-a-focus-on-overlanding/

Last edited:

Mako1114

Adventurer
AEV equipped for $50K sounds way low to me, however the article seemed to suggest that AEV bumpers will NOT be included so maybe so. I look forward to following this.

Cheers

Explorerinil

Observer
Cool, but won’t work for me, I need a full-size that can tow. If I were to buy a small truck, the only option I would consider is Toyota.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
So is this for sure, 100% going to be a AEV or GM offered vehicle? I do like the overall concept, I just fear how much it'll run in comparison to a similarly equipped full-size, because there's absolutely no way one similarly equipped like the one in the video will be anywhere south of $60K.

Explorerinil

Observer
If you don’t mind me asking why only Toyota for a mid size pickup?
Well simply put, they are very realiable and the aftermarket is good to them. I see way more old Toyota trucks on the road than old rangers, dakaotas and whatever small stuff gm made from time to time. My friends old Toyota has 600k on it, all original, it’s been sitting for about a year, I guarantee if you charge the battery it will start.

Explorerinil

Observer
So is this for sure, 100% going to be a AEV or GM offered vehicle? I do like the overall concept, I just fear how much it'll run in comparison to a similarly equipped full-size, because there's absolutely no way one similarly equipped like the one in the video will be anywhere south of $60K.
I think your right... look at the aev recruit, for a half ton it’s the same or more in some places than the prospector... I bet that aev gm Colorado truck is easily 60k or more.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
If you don’t mind me asking why only Toyota for a mid size pickup?
If I was in a position to replace my Tacoma the main reason I'd stick with them at this point is I can still sort of, maybe, depending on configuration get a stick shift. Once they finally kill that option I'm not sure there's anything that really keeps me in the Toyota fold. And I'm historically what you might charitably call a fervent brand loyal fanboy. Having lived with this 2nd gen now for about 3 years I'm not convinced they are still the simple, reliable Toyotas to which I'm accustomed. But time will tell.

Judoka

Learning To Live
Well, how many cassette players do you see in those Toyota trucks these days? My point is, things change. I can tell you that I for one am a believer in the Colorado! I have a first generation Colorado, and while it is very expensive to repair, and is less reliable than a sewing machine by far, they are still way more capable than many would believe. The new ones are WAY better built and are designed to compete with Toyota! I was a Certified Toyota salesperson when Toyota TRD Pro was released, and they are absolutely awesome. But now I am selling the Colorados and when you learn about the technology and design of these things it is easy to see that they came to the game to play! I have owned Rubicons and Rams (Yep, Certified Salesperson for 3 years) and so far I think that this Colorado offers more than both of them do for anyone who wants to have a light setup and great fuel economy while still being able to take on any terrain short of Rock Crawling

BobsCreek

Adventurer
Good luck. AEV is firm in saying they will not be making many of the custom stuff they put on the Colorado.

Typical SEMA crap of putting one offs on a vehicle then telling potential customers to go screw.

The "Bison" could be a nice, expensive option from Chevy, but ..no thanks

Jc1986.carter

IF GM does make this it would be awesome. If they do price it reasonably though each dealer that gets one will jack the price up like a lot of ford dealers did/do with the raptors.

As for the Toyota being the only options for reliability, Nissan is right up there with reliability and function. People complain that the current frontier hasn’t been updated in close to 15 years, that’s pretty reliable if you ask me, just not AS many aftermarket suppliers.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
IF GM does make this it would be awesome. If they do price it reasonably though each dealer that gets one will jack the price up like a lot of ford dealers did/do with the raptors.

As for the Toyota being the only options for reliability, Nissan is right up there with reliability and function. People complain that the current frontier hasn’t been updated in close to 15 years, that’s pretty reliable if you ask me, just not AS many aftermarket suppliers.

That and it's not nearly as attractive aesthetically.

Jc1986.carter

That and it's not nearly as attractive aesthetically.
All in the eye of the beholder. Function over form or something like that. But for 6k less than a Tacoma you get a fully boxed frame that doesn’t require purchasing additional aftermarket braces to keep the bed from flexing, four disk brakes,and more low end torque.

Back to the point though. More completion in this market is better for the consumers though and I thank GM for doing actual market research into what people want in a smaller more nimble package.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles