Chinook Concourse vs Tiger bengal

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Any thoughts on better overland vehicle?

Tiger - Ford F350 or Chevy 3500HD 4x4 chassis, sleeps 4, permanent bed, 21-23' long, height 10'8" with air, width 7'4"
Concourse - Ford F350 can be lifted, 4x4 $11k - $25k depending on who does, no permanent bed, only sleeps two - no bed for guest , 21' length, 9'11" height w/ air, width 7'7", Dually but not sure if negative or positive. Not doing heavy 4-wheeling so would lift and lockers be suffficient?

Used Tigers much more expensive, 2008 just sold for $36k, Chinnoks can be found high teens to $30k, based on year, miles etc but need to add 4x4 conversion cost.

Thanks

MarcusBrody

Are you sure you need it to be 4x4? If you're not doing much real off road until or likely to be doing something like driving on the beach, I would imagine you could get by without it.

That being said, while I don't have experience with either, the Bengal strikes me as the better overland vehicle. I'm also biased toward permanent beds and it seems a more rugged set up in most ways. I think the Chinook is based off of the E350 rather than the F350 so the lift would be a bit more challenging (though still eminently doable). I'd be more worried about the cabinetry/systems and the like when under stress on the Chinook as it's really built as a standard RV.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
I may not need it alot, but I will need 4wd, I had 2wd jeep for 10 years and it did limit my goings, when time for new one it had to be 4wd and I'll never own 2wd truck/jeep again. Whether at beach, muddy wilderness areas and mountain roads, thru snow or desert, even if only 10% of the time I really don't want any limitations.

java

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that a big ass heavy truck will need 4x4 in places a jeep would sneeze at, really.

As to Tiger vs Chinook, the Tigers are built very well, nicer/sturdier than a Chinook (and the prices reflect that) if thats something your willing to trade off, or put some effort into the Chinook yourself as it falls apart (the shells are pretty good IMO, just the interior bits) then thats a trade off. If you want a "turn key" last a long time rig the Tiger may be worth the extra $$ up front.

Permanent bed is a requirement for me, been there dont that. Bed makes Great storage when not in use too :p However it generally does mean a bigger footprint.

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
As to Tiger vs Chinook, the Tigers are built very well, nicer/sturdier than a Chinook (and the prices reflect that) if thats something your willing to trade off, or put some effort into the Chinook yourself as it falls apart (the shells are pretty good IMO, just the interior bits) then thats a trade off. If you want a "turn key" last a long time rig the Tiger may be worth the extra $$ up front.

Permanent bed is a requirement for me, been there dont that. Bed makes Great storage when not in use too :p However it generally does mean a bigger footprint.

Tiger may make most sense, thanks.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
When I was looking for a smaller 4x4 RV for our business and life I looked at and really wanted a Chinook but couldn't get past the floor plan, rear entry and the expense of converting to 4x4. It did take a long time to find our Tiger and it is over 20 year old, but it's been incredibly reliable, capable and economical to restore and operate due to its Chevy bones. Good luck!IMG_2879.JPG

68camaro

Any River...Any Place
Those tigers look put together well. Havent seen newer chinooks forver!

Tigers are really nice, I toured factory and came close to buying sweet used one on their lot. They stopped making the Chinooks in 2005, but I ended up buying a 2001 Chinook Concourse and have it lift with 32" tires, its great but 2WD. I lifted due to necessity of exit/entrance angle increases.

Tiger on one-ton 4wd HD truck chasis is much more robust but used they are well north of $50k, I was looking at $85k, new they are $140k'ish.

My decision to get Chinook over Tiger was simply economics. My Chinook was $21k in great condition, plus I added lift, tires plus updated brakes and front headlights- but these were "wants" and not "needs". Based on living in mid-atlantic, plus my usage while still working and family stuff I simply could not justify Tiger in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste