Choosing one of the MB trucks

Sitec

Adventurer
Hey Sitec, our habitat is 5.3m and almost 2.4m wide. The width is from the rubber fender wells on the front tires. The box length hangs over the rear of the chassis about 300mm (the bottom of the 45 degree angle is at the end of the chassis). Once we got the 385/65 R22.5 tires on our height of the chassis is around 39". For some reason the GVWR of a 1017 and 1120 are the same at 12,000kg (I thought the first digits were the weight rating). Our cab is definitely narrower than the pictures I have seen of the 1017's, but still seems large. Although a little late for me, it would be interesting to see the chassis/axle differences between these 2 trucks as our plans are essentially a land circumnavigation, hope we made the right choice (they all seem pretty robust but I am new to medium duty trucks). We are getting right around 13mpg which I am pretty pleased as the 1120 is full time 4WD. After our cab upgrades and new higher sidewall tires the ride is actually pretty good, not sure how it compares to the 1017. I keep mentioning the 1017 as it was the other truck I was looking into. I bought our truck sight unseen, so was unable to visually compare the 2.

When you say the 1017's have larger engines I am a little confused (happens often). I think the 17's (though not the 917 which uses the OM366A) use the OM352A which I also think is a 352 c.i. inline 6. Our truck has a OM366LA, so a 366 c.i. inline 6. I sort of figured it was just a slightly larger displacement of the OM352, is the block lighter? Now your 1222 has the much larger V6 and they even offer a larger V8. Given that our truck is the only MB cab over truck I have personally seen anything I think I know is just internet reading.
I probably banded the 1017 into the larger engine group incorrectly and it's not an ideal example of what I was getting at, but what I was trying to simply explain is that the NG, SK, MK trucks are all 'heavier' and 'bulkier' trucks. You are right that the first digit is weight, and in that respect an 1120 will carry more than a 1017. The 1120 is a later truck with a lighter cab and more refined build. If you put an 1120 beside a 1222, the 1120 is smaller, easier to drive, has a similar payload and HP and is probably more fuel efficient... The 1222 by comparison is taller, wider and a little heavier (and definitely more clumsy), making it quite a different truck to own and drive.

Your setup sounds really good, but now it's taking shape you would probably agree that you wouldn't go much bigger with the box on your platform. The chassis on the 1222 is taller coming in at around 48/50", and I've settled at a 6m long body (that's 94" tall giving a total height of approx 142" or 3.6m) as it's what I have, but could have gone longer. Adding a bit of height, and 100mm in width suddenly makes for a bigger handful. I've driven a few 1120's but not for a long time, so it'll be interesting to sight Traveling Babo (the incoming 1120) and park it beside the 1222 and see how they compare. I might be surprised at how little difference there is! :)

Just to add a little confusion the german army had thousand and thousands of 1017,s. I looked at hundreds lined up for sale in several german military sites. They were all plated at different weights fespite all being 1017

Some were as expected 10000 .kg they then went up litteraly in 100 kg increments to about 14000 kg .

Mine is in the middle at 12200 kg .

This is a bit confusing considering that there is an 1117 and a 1217 and a 1317

Work that out

Neil

Just to add a little confusion the german army had thousand and thousands of 1017,s. I looked at hundreds lined up for sale in several german military sites. They were all plated at different weights fespite all being 1017

Some were as expected 10000 .kg they then went up litteraly in 100 kg increments to about 14000 kg .

Mine is in the middle at 12200 kg .

This is a bit confusing considering that there is an 1117 and a 1217 and a 1317

Work that out

Neil
See, now that is yet another reason for my confusion (other than the other more obvious reasons ;)).

You are right Sitec about the length, I could have extended the 45 degree angle back a little more and would have looked OK visually, but not a huge amount. Now if you are saying the 1120 is an easier truck to drive, then man I got lucky. Not sure you would want to share the road with me driving anything larger :). Some more dimensions of our truck, the top of the habitat comes in right at 11'. We have 6' 6" headroom inside but since we used a Total Composites kit the floor and ceiling panels are 83mm thick. Our subframe is 5"x3" rectangular tube. The rooftop A/C adds another 8" to the overall height, so a total of 11' 8". We have already brushed a few low hanging branches.

I've driven a few 1120's but not for a long time, so it'll be interesting to sight Traveling Babo (the incoming 1120) and park it beside the 1222 and see how they compare. I might be surprised at how little difference there is! :)
So, the 4x4 version of the 1120 is not a small truck! The vehicle and cab is slightly narrower than ours and the wheel base is shorter, but 'Babo' is certainly not a small truck. Sat beside our 1222 they are very similar in height and stance. Si and Joan have him sat on 20" split rims and large Michelin XZL's. Clearance underneath is huge! Very interesting to look around another truck and see how others have laid it all out (including a washing machine which we are now factoring in!). :) Babo 1.JPG

Babo is a great truck. We have been with Simon and Joan through the design and build stages.Lovely couple, lovely truck.

Neil

Ps re washing machine. Dont leave home without one

Babo is a great truck. We have been with Simon and Joan through the design and build stages.Lovely couple, lovely truck.

Neil

Ps re washing machine. Dont leave home without one
Hi Neil. He certainly is, and they look to be having an awesome trip! They mentioned that you might one day find your way this far down! If you do, you are welcome too!! By then we may have a truck that's usable as an overlander... complete with washing machine too!! :) Simon. (Two Simon's was entertaining at the weekend too!!)

Well, Australia is definitely on our list. We spent 6 months there on the east coast on our boat with a few trips inland with a hire car, no where enough time to do that country justice. Loved it there and can't wait to return (with a side trip to N.Z. which is also a great country). Just need to finish the truck.

Well, Australia is definitely on our list. We spent 6 months there on the east coast on our boat with a few trips inland with a hire car, no where enough time to do that country justice. Loved it there and can't wait to return (with a side trip to N.Z. which is also a great country). Just need to finish the truck.
Time your visit to coincide with when Neil might get here! We'll have a South Australia Overland Truck fest!! ;)