CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

SheepnJeep

Good question. I figured I had some leeway considering I found three different layouts, so I chose the simplest option. I think it looks cleaner and yes, we did add the gauges to monitor the vitals. There are also idiot lights in the speedo cluster.

Copy that. I have nothing against mods to stock of course, just wondering if it would have had the idiot lights or not. I was kind of thinking of adding some lights to my dash to hopefully catch my attention quickly if oil pressure drops or something. Factory gauges are sort to low and hard to look at a glance.

I'm not sure about the speedo cluster on other years, but this one definitely has idiot lights integrated into it.

Update - the body is finally off to the painter's. The best part is that he wants to trade labor, so my cash outlay will be kept to a minimum! Hopefully it will be in color in the next week or so.

Took a visit to the painters yesterday to check out the progress and choose a color. Everything looked amazing. It's always fun to see something in one color after such a long process.

With one sealer coat and seven primer coats, the tub is almost ready for color. He tells me one more primer coat will do it.

Paint color is always a tough choice, The color I thought I wanted turned out to be too hard to find, so we went with a light creamy tan, almost an off white or old English white.

Just a few more days now!

Setting the tub on the chassis is pretty simple, even by myself. Just plumb bob down to a couple holes and set 'er down. The only item I had to install before the tub went down was the rear wiring, since once the body is on, you can't really get to the fuel sender, it was imperative to hook it up first.

I'm still baffled by the body mount hardware. This truck was a basket case when I got it, so I didn't have the luxury of photographing all the parts and assemblies before the project started, The body mount kit from OMIX is a pile of crap, and it had to be modified to work the way I wanted it to, but even now, I'm not so sure I want to use it. I'm going to order up a body mount kit for the newer generation CJ ('76 to '79) and see if that will work out any better. Maybe I'll be able to modify it to work. The logic is that these "in between" or "changeover" years (when AMC bought Jeep) shared and mixed parts, probably day to day, just to get them off the assembly line. I am convinced that the body mounts fell into this grey area as well, and I'm hoping to be able to put something together that resembles the OEM parts, both visually and functionally.

Anyway, the chassis was dusty from sitting for months, so it got pressure washed first. Then assembly commenced.

That said, we almost dulled it down even more with an additive, but we decided against it, because matching that sheen would be a problem if any repair work was to be done in the future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94