CJ5 Resto-Mod Project

big a

Adventurer
Man, that's so awesome that you're getting to work with your dad!!! I really can appreciate the simplicity of this build! Thx for sharing!!!
-Andy

jpat30

Adventurer
I thoroughly enjoy watching your builds. The attention to detail is outstanding. Glad to see you tackle a jeep for change:)

Sounds like the poor man is going to need to get a job so he can relax and take it easy for a bit.
Noooooooo....!!!!

I thoroughly enjoy watching your builds. The attention to detail is outstanding. Glad to see you tackle a jeep for change:)
Thanks. Detail is a trap you fall into easily. The trick is not having it end up looking "over restored".

Loving the attention to detail. Sorry about the cost overrun. That sucks.
I know, right. At this piont, we'll need to sell it for quite a bit more than the target price to make anything on it.

Off topic but not really cause its in the picture.. Tell us more about that bike!
1949 Schwinn with a Whizzer kit. My dad bought that back in the 70's and he's been "restoring" it ever since. That pic was taken in my dad's garage when he was doing the work on the motor and trans.

I am not a Jeep expert. There I said it. I don't know which parts go with which model, but I do know that the parts I had, I wanted to use up.

Apparently the factory steering column in 1974 did not have a turn signal stalk on it...? I had a column from another Jeep of unknown variety that had a turn signal switch on it and was about the same otherwise, so That's what we used. It had to be modified to fit of course.

I think it's an upgrade...right?

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
A great many columns work; my favorite are the small Delco leather covered Cherokee steering wheels; that have the "JEEP" label on the central horn button.
I normally use the turn signal bright dim switch for the air lockers and add the Delco slow kick wiper control and motor. Your simpler column is a great choice for the earlier CJ style, and is most definitely an upgrade...

Enjoy!

A great many columns work; my favorite are the small Delco leather covered Cherokee steering wheels; that have the "JEEP" label on the central horn button.
I normally use the turn signal bright dim switch for the air lockers and add the Delco slow kick wiper control and motor. Your simpler column is a great choice for the earlier CJ style, and is most definitely an upgrade...
That's a good idea. I wonder how hard those steering wheels are to find.

Top notch like all your other projects.
Thank you.

While the motor was at my Dad's, I went to work on the chassis. The frame was now straight and reinforced and ready to accept parts. Some of the bolt holes had elongated over time. I welded them up and drilled them out to make them nice and tight again. While I was at it, I decided to stitch weld the frame to take some of the flex out of it. The rear of the frame was modified with a welded in crossmember in lieu of the bolt in OEM one.

I like the factory "tractor style" paint job on a chassis, where everything is coated in one color, black in this case. So With the chassis, suspension and axles bare, I took a few minutes to clean up and spot paint the areas that will be hidden after it's all bolted together.

The front axle turned out to have a bad ring and pinion so I built a new diff then focused my attention on making sure both axles had all-new-everything. Brakes and steering components are cheap so even though the old stuff was in top condition, it got replaced anyway. The OEM leaf springs were treated to new, OEM style bushings then everything was metal etched and prepped for assembly. Once it was all together it got one final cleaning and a coat of primer then a couple coats of paint. I use SEM self etching primer, black in this case and then cover it with engine enamel for it's chemical resistant properties.

Here are some completed chassis pics.

TrucMan

Adventurer
Wow looks amazing! I redid a CJ5 about a year ago but it didn't look anything like this! Top notch, btw what tires are those?

Sent from my iPhone using paper airplanes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne