Clading to cover and protect lower body

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Hi, my 89 has rust issues at the front fenders near the doors. It is really more ugly than any serious structural issue. I'm thinking that this could be cut out, painted with some rust stop material and use a clading or some sheet material over it. Seems some good adhesive could be applied to attach a plastic or PVC type material to the lower sides. Not only would it look better, it would protect the paint from those low branches from putting new pinstripes on the vehicle.

Where would you lookfor some thing like that? Something in flat stock, sheet goods that can be easily trimmed...like to add some flares too....suggestions?

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
That seemed to be a technical site. I'm not up on plastics and guess I can call them for advice, but all I need is 2 pieces about a foot wide and 6 feet long, not much, maybe another 3 feet for the back just for looks.

I saw stuff there about a quarter inch think, if I could form it I could make some flares....? Last thing I made in plastic was a cake server heated in my mother's oven, for a shop project in the 60s!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Question too....would it be better to do this in aluminum and add lower body guards, similar to the jeeps? Thanks

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Whatever you skin the sheetmetal with will trap moisture and multiply your rust issue, happens with Jeeps and Landcruisers all the time

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Hi, my 89 has rust issues at the front fenders near the doors. It is really more ugly than any serious structural issue. I'm thinking that this could be cut out, painted with some rust stop material and use a clading or some sheet material over it. Seems some good adhesive could be applied to attach a plastic or PVC type material to the lower sides. Not only would it look better, it would protect the paint from those low branches from putting new pinstripes on the vehicle.

Where would you lookfor some thing like that? Something in flat stock, sheet goods that can be easily trimmed...like to add some flares too....suggestions?

Keep in mind that's a 22 year old part so it did last quite some time. Rather than 'franken-graft' parts over it, consider buying a used fender. You can easily get nearly rust free used fenders from various salvage yards in the rust free areas of the US. Check car-part.com for selection/availability. Pricing would probably very reasonable and will for sure be less than the parts and labor you'd pay if you had someone build what you're suggesting.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Yes, I have thought about the new fender, 98 bucks for a new one I think. Maybe I could take the time to put it on.....but then that also means a paint job, and the quotes put it at 500 for both sides, might as well paint the whole thing. The paint on the car is ok, it could use a paint job, but doesn't need a paint job. There is a metal fabrication shop I can go to I can buy the material and put it on flat and use wheel trim. I would also get some rust goop and paint any effected area. I would simply cut out the rusted area which is only a few inches, not the whole bottom side. I would probably use some adhesive to put the panel on, something pretty strong. Cost wise the panel would be cheaper only because no paint job would be necessary. Now comes the issue of appearance. If it would look really strange I would not do it, but I have seen jeeps with similar skins....I appoligize that I can't load a picture, I know that makes it harder to get opinions. I know it might sound like my mind is made up, but it's not.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
No, not a new fender, a used one in good condition. I bought one for my 89 for $45 at a local pick and pull.

There are over a hundred fenders available ranging in price from $25~150 on car-part.com.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Going that route I might find a burgandy replacement then I wouldn't have the paint job issue! Thanks...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior