Classic Bronco

lt1fire

Adventurer
About to pick up a 68 bronco from a friend.

How do these things do as expo vehicles??

I know i'll most likely have to get a trailer for gear fitment as it is much smaller than my current land cruiser.

It does however have a 4bt already in it. (SM435) so will need to do a ranger OD or find a NV4500 or ZF5 to swap in.

Anyone on here rocking a 1st gen bronco?

These are short wheelbase and adding OD is difficult. Adding length to the transmission with an OD causes severe angles of the rear driveshaft. Kills U-Joints and high angle U-Joints are not rated for highway speeds.

Tunnel area is rather limited for the larger transmissions. I am not a diesel guy but maybe you want to look at doing an Allison swap instead.

I don't recall what year mine was, but in the mid 70's my dog and I took a 2 year road trip in one. Sometimes slept in the back and sometimes in a tent. Mine was completely stock and it worked out fine. They have a special place in my heart. I saw 3 of them last week while passing thru Kalispell, Montana. I love photographing them when I can. Enjoy.....

20180723_105102-1600x1200.jpg

20180723_121648-1600x1200.jpg

lt1fire

Adventurer
These are short wheelbase and adding OD is difficult. Adding length to the transmission with an OD causes severe angles of the rear driveshaft. Kills U-Joints and high angle U-Joints are not rated for highway speeds.

Tunnel area is rather limited for the larger transmissions. I am not a diesel guy but maybe you want to look at doing an Allison swap instead.

Yeah i've read that about the adding OD.... in my mind though the manual was a lot shorter than the auto that ford put in there in 73 so the OD shouldn't really effect it a ton if putting on the manual. But I'd much rather do a NV4500 instead. Much better trans over all.

An allison is huge in length, width and height... I don't think there would be a way to make that work.

toddz69

Explorer

I know i'll most likely have to get a trailer for gear fitment as it is much smaller than my current land cruiser.

It does however have a 4bt already in it. (SM435) so will need to do a ranger OD or find a NV4500 or ZF5 to swap in.

Yes, I've been rocking one for 37 years now. Mine's a '69. As I've reiterated in numerous other threads here over the years, there are much, much better ExPo vehicles out there but if this is what you have, and you like it, then you'll make it work! A love for a particular vehicle will allow compensation for a lot of shortcomings.

I have a 700R4 and 4 speed Atlas in mine so my rear driveshaft is short. If you want a granny gear, many do the 4500 or ZF swap. Since I drive mine a fair amount (just under 358,000 on the ticker), I like the overdrive transmission, power steering, hydroboost, 4 wheel disc brakes, and a few other amenities to make travel a little nicer.

I'd highly recommend joining the classicbroncos.com forums - a ton of knowledge there with a good enthusiast base.

Todd Z.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I had a 1972 that I put a fair amount of money and time into. I ended up stretching the wheel base a few inches with a custom 4-link long arm setup and converted the rear to coils. Swapped in a NV3550 5-speed and put $7K in motor work and she rode around on 35's nicely with the hot 302 build.

At the end of the day it was still a 30+ year old (at the time) that always required more than could be expected of a daily drivable turn key vehicle. I sold it for a healthy profit and it went on down the road. I miss it at times and when I think about how much more they are worth in the current market I feel a little used lol.

Personally I wouldn't recommend it as a good platform for a expo vehicle due to the short wheelbase and limited interior space and at the end of the day they are more capable then they are reliable or comfortable. If you have other options I would explore those before committing to an EB for an Expo rig, great vintage cruiser and 4x4 though.

Sorry for the grainy photo, only one I could find at the moment circa 2009/10 (pic was prior to suspension work, notice rear axle geometry).

Xrn1ByR.jpg

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I have 2 of them. Much blood, sweat, tears, and money went into trying to get somewhere in just one of them.

Neither can be driven now. They sit waiting on me, and it's a terrible feeling, knowing the more time passes the worse they will be but not having the ability to do the job.

I finally wised up and got something that I could depend on and enjoy now, not years from now spending every weekend doing nothing but work. I love EB's, I still want to enjoy them one day, but if you don't have one in very good condition out the door, they can bleed you dry of hope. Awesome vehicles but need lots and lots of love to make into something.

If you have a comfortable and safe place to work, time to work on them, and enough spare cash to maintain progress, I can see enjoying the process. I quite nearly burnt myself out of enjoying 4x4s and mechanical work entirely trying to build a vehicle without the proper working space, tools, or experience to start in on. Be very careful how you procede. Its not just money, they can be a pit for your time to enjoy life as well.

I owned a 69 and miss it every time I see one. To your original question I say they are slightly better or at least equivalent to a 2 door Jeep or FJ 40 and you see a ton of them out and about. If vintage is your thing go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bojak

Adventurer

As good as you are determined to make them do. Maybe a small off-road trailer is in your future. Just wheel it, and you won't regret it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
I prefer the vintage iron for sure. For me it's the Chevy variety, but I can appreciate the love for an early Bronco. I've helped my Dad work on multiples as a kid and had a buddy in college that built a couple. One of which we ended upside down in on an icy highway, spoiler alert we both walked out of that one. But still, as others have said they are very capable rigs to run in for sure. Not sure you can do a two week trip out of one without being really creative on what you carry and how you stow it. For a 2-3 day type weekend trip with two people it's totally doable. Just leave the rear seat at home.

Like others have said, it's really not much different in size than a FJ40, CJ5-7, YJ or TJ Jeeps. Lightweight backpacking gear does help save space for sure.

I'd agree with idea of modernizing it too. EFI and OD are a must to make it livable. I'm on my 2nd K5 and the comparison between my first and second is night and day. The first was a 75 with a carb'd 350, 465 granny gear non-od trans and a cranky demeanor hot or cold. My 91 has been LS swapped with a 5.3, 700r4 trans, better gearing for the size of tire I'm running and modern truck driveability. The 75 you had better plan on an extra amount of time to coax it to life if it was cold or after you had run it when it was hot and needed restarted. It was the main thing that annoyed me about it. My 91 lights off on the first twist of the key, at 5 degrees or 115 degrees. It's made it a pleasure to drive as I don't have the looming fears in my brain if it's going to give me any fits or not.

Granted I'm rambing about my Chevy in Bronco thread but the same concept applies. 5.0 injection setups are plentiful, or going with a complete 5.0 take out from an Explorer and an AOD trans or NV3550 or 4500. It will make the driveability SOOOO much better to not be a pain or chore to drive. Hell a Holley Sniper or other throttle body based self learning EFI system is another option that is coming down in price too.

Another post earlier did indicate there are better platforms to work with out of the box. True point. My last two major off road trips to the desert had a 16 Power Wagon with us. Went everywhere my built Blazer did without a problem. He also had $50 grand into the truck and goodies too. It's a hell of a truck to do what it does off of the showroom floor. But, it don't have the soul of the vintage steel. You don't see these rigs on the trail at all. Be it a K5, EB, fullsize Bronco, Ramcharger or truck of any of the big three. I just did a weekend run in the central part of CO outside of Salida and all I saw was Jeeps, Toyotas/land cruisers, Side by sides and quads. Of the jeeps they were all JK's with a few TJ's and 1 YJ (in my group) a CJ-5. The CJ-5 was the oldest one I saw on the trail all weekend. If you are OK with the shortcomings I say go for it. The thumbs up and people taking pics of your rig on the trail will make it worth it. It sure does for me.

lt1fire

Adventurer
Thanks everyone for the insight.

Got mine today.

4bt with a SM435 (next year that will change to a NV4500)

It was a wheeler so the body is beat but will be getting worked on as me and the wife learn to weld and patch

Hydroboost is the first thing on my list to do. Does already have 4 wheel discs but no booster so the brakes suck

Also no doors and no rear glass.... so that will be adressed also.

It is rough but i've always wanted a classic 4x4 and its the wife's favorite vehicle ever so it works out well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94