classic range rover diesel conversion

REDROVER

Explorer
hey guys my name is Eric, about 3 years ago i started to look for a classic range rover, i always liked that unique looks of it, but when i asked mechanics how they are every one of them told me don't touch them, investing money was not the problem at all the headache that i would get from the problems was the main concern, so regardless how many times mechanics told me don't buy it, i went a head and purchased 1989 classic from the original owner with 101k miles on it, THAT WAS HE BEST $3500 I SPENT IN MY LIFE, the redrover became my best friend, i took her to very remote places, i used her every weekend, never had one problem with it now she has 149k miles. i took care of the rover and in return she worked like new truck.

but i always wanted to do open heart surgery to her and transplant a diesel motor, i kept thinking of that for the last 2 years until one of my family members parachuted 1989 diesel suburban with 302k original miles on it, and when one of the guys in this forum posted his 6.2 diesel discovery i couldn't wait to convert mine :)

i purchased 6.2 dielel j code motor off of the humvee about 15k miles on it, the motor comes tested with data papers,
i am making my own adapter kit to fit 6.2 to zf 22 Trans, transfer case is gonna be lt230. the motor came out today, tomorrow measuring and the machine shop work begins,

i will video every step of the job and post here :)

Eric

Attachments

• my rover in 2008 day 1.jpg
    my rover in 2008 day 1.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 243
  • rover in 2008 day  1.jpg
    rover in 2008 day 1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 212
  • 1111564217_bUQMU-XL-1.jpg
    1111564217_bUQMU-XL-1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 427
  • 6.2 diesel range rover 002.jpg
    6.2 diesel range rover 002.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 317

ArmyRover

Adventurer
I'll be watching this with interest as I have been planning this for awhile for my Hunter.

Let me know about the adapters, if the price is right I might have you make up a set for me.

CYi5

Explorer
And you live in California? I was under the impression putting a diesel into an originally gas vehicle was a strict no-no here...smog concerns or did you figure out a referee loop hole?

ArmyRover

Adventurer
if you can import a International Motors 2.8L powerstroke Diesel engine from Brazil, that is the best solution. there is also a 3.0L version. It is basically the 300tdi engine bored out, longer stroke, and different injector pump. I belived there is a guy in nova scotia who was importing these. It fits perfectly on a R380 gearbox

http://www.obwcanada.com/services.html

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=16711

I can think of about 6000 reasons to go with the 6.2 that is the rough cost difference between it and the powerstroke.

LtFuzz

Explorer
Good luck bro!

I'll be happy to take pictures of anything on my truck if you need a reference..

REDROVER

Explorer
I'll be watching this with interest as I have been planning this for awhile for my Hunter.

Let me know about the adapters, if the price is right I might have you make up a set for me.

Why 6.2.

1 I SUPPORT USA ECONOMY by buying AMERICAN
2 it comes compression tested
3 its mechanical injection
4 it is reliable if u maintain it right
5 it has good amount of tq at the right rpm
6 it fits right in the engine bay
7 parts are every were
8 it has good gas mileage
9 I love the way Detroit diesel sounds
10 if it can be used on 10.000lb humvee it should be perfect on 5000lb rover

I will post all the info here about the adapters the first one is kinda technical but second one will be easy.

monefolds came in today from powdercoating :)

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_20110316_203356.jpg
    IMG_20110316_203356.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 104

REDROVER

Explorer
Good luck bro!

I'll be happy to take pictures of anything on my truck if you need a reference..

thank you very much :) ur truck was one of the reasons my rover is now under surgery :)

i would like to know hows your cooling fan set up? is it electric?

Eric

ArmyRover

Adventurer
Why 6.2.

1 I SUPPORT USA ECONOMY by buying AMERICAN
2 it comes compression tested
3 its mechanical injection
4 it is reliable if u maintain it right
5 it has good amount of tq at the right rpm
6 it fits right in the engine bay
7 parts are every were
8 it has good gas mileage
9 I love the way Detroit diesel sounds
10 if it can be used on 10.000lb humvee it should be perfect on 5000lb rover

I will post all the info here about the adapters the first one is kinda technical but second one will be easy.

monefolds came in today from powdercoating :)

Eric

Don't need to sell me I'm already in the camp.:coffeedrink:

spikemd

Explorer
Can't wait to follow the progress.

I see you are in LA, how do you plan on getting it to pass smog or the referee station? I still haven't taken my BMW E30 with M3 transplant to the referee station b/c I am scared of all the regulations and that is still gas with all smog equipment intact.

Viggen

Just here...
CALIFORNIA QUESTION IS THIS,

if the engine came out of the same year truck and was street legal and is going to be used on a same weight category or less vehicle. it will be easy to make it legal

I know that California is a lot stricter but all in all, EPA says that. Its a medium duty diesel available in a vehicle of the same, or newer, vehicle and same weight class, so you should be okay. I would check with your DEQ first though as I know that the CARB does EPA+ type rules and regs.

Paladin

Banned
if you can import a International Motors 2.8L powerstroke Diesel engine from Brazil, that is the best solution. there is also a 3.0L version. It is basically the 300tdi engine bored out, longer stroke, and different injector pump. I belived there is a guy in nova scotia who was importing these. It fits perfectly on a R380 gearbox

http://www.obwcanada.com/services.html

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=16711

I believe the HS2.8 is no longer available through Steven Cahill. Would love to know if that's true or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles