Classic SUVs?

So I just bought a 1987 F150 4x4

IMG_6980.JPG

5.0 V8, 4x4, 5spd, long bed with some unknown lift on it. Unfortunately I'll soon be departing Virginia as the USMC dictates. My little $750 farm truck was only meant to get us through the last 3 months of this schoolhouse to avoid the $1200 shipping fee for my wife's car while she drives my 2006 Magnum R/T instead.

IMG_4803.jpg

This truck has me hugely bitten by the classic 4x4 bug. We have a one year old and are hoping to pop another one in the oven shortly. So a single cab truck ain't it for me. I want V8, gas or diesel, 4x4, SUV of an older nature. I'm looking at Wagoneers, Suburbans, and Travelalls. Pros and cons? What's the best classic 4x4 for some weekend or week long getaways with a family and gear? The odd 7.3 OBS F250 tickles me too. Been perusing these threads but it's a ton of info to trawl through between classes.

Thanks all!

Attachments

• IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ClovisMan

Observer
I had Wagoneers and Cherokees. I would steer clear. They are a maintenance nightmare imho.
IMG_1073.jpg

Now I drive a Suburban. It's TBI and has an OD transmission and still has straight axles instead of IFS.
Burb32.jpg

I had Wagoneers and Cherokees. I would steer clear. They are a maintenance nightmare imho.
View attachment 412668

Now I drive a Suburban. It's TBI and has an OD transmission and still has straight axles instead of IFS.
View attachment 412669

That's a shame cause the wagoneers are so gorgeous.

Is that Burb the Polar Bear? I was perusing build threads the other day and saw one similar looking. I love the straight axles and OD trans. What's TBI stand for?

Throttle body injection. That was the original version of fuel injection. This guy may be the owner of the Polar Bear you're thinking of. http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/56355-Larry-s-1978-K10

Right you are. That's the thread I saw. I love the White Burbans on black wheels. Always a favorite combo of mine. Are there specific combos and years to avoid as much as I can? I'd prefer diesel or 8.1 with a stick. I hear the smaller V8s struggle a bit.

Bojak

Adventurer
Can't go wrong with a suburban. Small blocks were awesome until the world went diesel. Diesels and big blocks are cool, and "there is no replacement for displacement. ", but a small block V8 is still a V8. It ain't like it sucks, just ain't as fun as the big boys. My point is that I wouldnt discount a 350 as less than adequate. Still do burnouts, donuts, climb hills, tow stuff, and haul the family pretty much wherever u want to go.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with a suburban. Small blocks were awesome until the world went diesel. Diesels and big blocks are cool, and "there is no replacement for displacement. ", but a small block V8 is still a V8. It ain't like it sucks, just ain't as fun as the big boys. My point is that I wouldnt discount a 350 as less than adequate. Still do burnouts, donuts, climb hills, tow stuff, and haul the family pretty much wherever u want to go.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

True that. Most hauling it'll do is when I get my next bike or a full compliment of one yesrold's toys hahah

p nut

butter
This is for a daily driver to schlep kids around? Just get a Tahoe/Burb/Expedition from a more modern era. Unless you like tinkering with cars on your days off, plus any other spare time you've got. And being stranded on your way to drop kids off at school or on a road trip.
-
I'd LOVE an old truck. '77 Scout would be my pick, with the removable top. Those things were beasts and my friends and I had a lot of fun. But to pick one up now? No thanks. I value my time with my kids and having a dependable vehicle to do other things.
-
I think any auto enthusiast has romantic thoughts of driving around in a classic/vintage rig. Reality is, they go back up for sale after the owner realizes maintenance isn't as simple as they remember it and time and money needed to keep the thing running is more than a new car payment.

Clutch

<---Pass
This is for a daily driver to schlep kids around? Just get a Tahoe/Burb/Expedition from a more modern era. Unless you like tinkering with cars on your days off, plus any other spare time you've got. And being stranded on your way to drop kids off at school or on a road trip.
-

-
I think any auto enthusiast has romantic thoughts of driving around in a classic/vintage rig. Reality is, they go back up for sale after the owner realizes maintenance isn't as simple as they remember it and time and money needed to keep the thing running is more than a new car payment.

^^^this^^^

Every time I get the itch for old iron, I remember they were POS when they were new. As I age time is my most valuable commodity...

You can pay cash for a new vehicle, doncha know. ;) Fullsize extra cab V6 pickup can be had in the low 20's. (dead horse)

p nut

butter
^^^this^^^

Every time I get the itch for old iron, I remember they were POS when they were new. As I age time is my most valuable commodity...

You can pay cash for a new vehicle, doncha know. ;) Fullsize extra cab V6 pickup can be had in the low 20's. (dead horse)

What ever (and when ever) you get next, that should be its name--Dead Horse. :D

Clutch

<---Pass
What ever (and when ever) you get next, that should be its name--Dead Horse. :D

Ha ha!

There is a fairly decent condition '65 bug for sale in my neighborhood...must resist! We both like air-cooled V-Dubs..."hey we should get that!" ...."no, no, we shouldn't"....I see lots of busted greasy knuckles and cursing if I drag it home.

20621995_10155659672834630_3415838766352544664_n.jpg

Last edited:
-
I'd LOVE an old truck. '77 Scout would be my pick, with the removable top. Those things were beasts and my friends and I had a lot of fun. But to pick one up now? No thanks. I value my time with my kids and having a dependable vehicle to do other things.
-

THAT is true. My wife is wanting to lean towards newer as well. May end up with a mid 2000s 4x4 of some kind. Maybe an Expedition like you said. I personally want something I can beat the hell out of and it'll run like a tank.

Ha ha!

There is a fairly decent condition '65 bug for sale in my neighborhood...must resist! We both like air-cooled V-Dubs..."hey we should get that!" ...."no, no, we shouldn't"....I see lots of busted greasy knuckles and cursing if I drag it home.

View attachment 412954

Hahaha I have a habit of picking up strays. I need to replace the space in my garage vacated by my 94 KLR650 hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94