Clothes storage (for wives) on longer trips

JCDriller

Adventurer
Guys with a family of 3 and a big GSD space is limited in my Jeep. We've got a nice trip coming up and I need to start planning how to pack my wives clothes. We'll be gone for 6-9 days total. Some will be spent in a motel while others will be camping. She loves to over pack and get all done up for dinner so I'm thinking about just giving her a large pelican case and strapping it to my GOBI. All mine will easily fit rolled up in a duffle, but she's a different story.

How do you guys handle packing closes for your wives?

I've got about 5 of these, surely one would be enough for all her stuff.

pelican-usa-military-medical-supply-box-l.jpg

OCD Overland

Explorer
You've got the right solution. We often travel with one or two sets of nice clothes. If we're out for three weeks or more, we occasionally try to treat ourselves at the end with a hotel stay and a nice dinner out, so we'll reserve one of our Hardigg cases for that. In fact, we'll be doing that next month - headed to Zion, Bryce, then the Grand Canyon, with a couple of nights in Santa Fe on the way back. So long as you pack it loosely and keep shoes and heavy stuff on the bottom, then everything will pretty much stay unwrinkled just like you packed it. We call it the James Bond case, since he always seems to have a tailored dinner jacket ready when he needs it.

Ideally, we'd have room inside and maybe run a hanging rod across the rear seat. But then it's kind of funny driving down some dirt road or through a rainstorm knowing that you've got that stuff stashed on the roof.

jeep670

Adventurer
07a9921b557a2af76864cf1d413e1ce5.jpg

This was our setup for a 26 days Atlantic Canada trip last summer.
6 walmart plano boxes: one with my clothes, one with my wife's and one with our daughter's. I like to keep things separate and quicly accessible. A 4th box was food, a 5th was warm and rain clothes (which were really useful in north of Newfoundland) and some extra mixed clothing, and the 6th was miscellaneous. Cold food and drinks were in the fridge. The flat ikea box was for shoes. The little white/red luggage held our daughter's toys.
My point is: keep everyone's stuff separate from each other's. Keep clothing and food inside. DO NOT carry your wife's stuff on the gobi - the risk is lethal for the trip! Put your camping stuff on the gobi so it doesn't kill anyone's mood if their stuff gets wet or dirty.

JCDriller

Adventurer

6 walmart plano boxes: one with my clothes, one with my wife's and one with our daughter's. I like to keep things separate and quicly accessible. A 4th box was food, a 5th was warm and rain clothes (which were really useful in north of Newfoundland) and some extra mixed clothing, and the 6th was miscellaneous. Cold food and drinks were in the fridge. The flat ikea box was for shoes. The little white/red luggage held our daughter's toys.
My point is: keep everyone's stuff separate from each other's. Keep clothing and food inside. DO NOT carry your wife's stuff on the gobi - the risk is lethal for the trip! Put your camping stuff on the gobi so it doesn't kill anyone's mood if their stuff gets wet or dirty.

Thanks for the inputs guys, I found these at Home Depot today, I think they are perfect.

Mitch502

Explorer
I thought my wife was bad...for a 3 day trip we managed to get by with just taking a medium sized bag for her...or a "large tote" bag. I had all my stuff in a single, but large, backpack...

GealingOw64

That seems to be really comfortable. Why I'm not using them this way...My wife just got crazy about Lily Lulu fashion boutique. She has bought almost every top from there. Now we are planning to travel and I can't imagine how I will pack everything. By the way, have you ever ordered something from that store? Do your wives have the same obsession like mine does? However, I noticed that these clothes are really qualitative, she may wear it for more than 1 year, which I consider is noncence for my wife. Guys, if you're looking for the perfect present for your love, that's the option, check their website, you'll find something suitable.

Last edited:

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Packing cubes- "honey you get 4 of these to pack all you want" - But it might go more like " honey take 6 of these and I will take 2"

rustypayne

We lived in our Jeep JKUR for six weeks, wife had 3 packing cubes and I had 2, they fit on the floor behind my seat and we did laundry every two weeks. Early on we noticed that the Jeep smelled but after a week or so the smell disappeared :)

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I was lucky enough to marry a gal that had done some extensive personal/professional traveling so she got it. But, it was kinda awkward explaining how little room she would have in the trunk of my TR6 during a weeklong club run.....imagine my surprise when she had her stuff configured to fit the dimensions (25% her stuff, 25% my stuff and 50% British carparts, fluids and tools!) I gave her! That’s what happens when you marry an MIT engineer. Good Luck!94C92D5B-018A-457C-86FC-3E9939F8C759.jpeg9838FADC-0FCB-4435-B431-C3FF23480868.jpeg

tanuki.himself

Vacuum storage bags inside whatever hard storage you use. Reduces the volume clothes take up, and keeps the dust out of them perfectly. we used a 12v airbed pump to deflate them after opening them on the road to keep the worn stuff as small - not as powerful as a home vacuum cleaner, but good enough and we were carrying it anyway for inflating mattresses

jeepgc

Adventurer
Vacuum storage bags inside whatever hard storage you use. Reduces the volume clothes take up, and keeps the dust out of them perfectly. we used a 12v airbed pump to deflate them after opening them on the road to keep the worn stuff as small - not as powerful as a home vacuum cleaner, but good enough and we were carrying it anyway for inflating mattresses

This - I was going to say compression bags/sacks.

We used this for our family of four in our Jeep Grand Cherokee for a month long trip twice now.

We had one large compression bag for each person, worked really well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94