Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

He had a DCSB Taco...it looked miserable just towing it down the street. He probably towed it 3-4? times with the Taco...then the Tundra showed up.

I have towed much heavier...that 19' Jayco would be a cake walk behind a F150, with a F250 wouldn't even know it was back there. Used to tow a JD 555. Not the biggest machine, but not the lightest thing either. Looked up the specs, it was 21'000 lbs. Can't remember how heavy the tilt bed trailer we used to haul it on weighed. Towed it with a Mack R-Series Tri-Axle dump (used to have a CDL)...it has been some years, but everything else feels easy to me. When we moved up here, I rented a 26' Bobtail International....biggish vehicle. Thought I may of forgot how to drive something that big, but it was like riding a bike.

Found these, they are kinda nice. Even have a toyhauler version.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro

Anything north of 3k lbs on a regular basis, I don't even want to mess with a midsize. Fullsize towing, especially with a long and tall load like that, is almost a joy.

Dry weight is under 3,000 lbs. Not bad. Seems like a nice trailer.
Have you towed 3k+ lbs with a Tacoma before? Especially a tall/long trailer? I'm guessing no.

Saw a lifted 1st Gen GMC Canyon extracab today... found myself thinking it was a damned nice looking rig...

yup... I felt that was something I needed to share. :p
I like the Colorados...have been looking at the diesels CCLB. (did I say that outloud?) :p

Those campers are massive! How about IntechRV's Explore model? Can be had with dual tip outs: http://www.intechrv.com/explore.php
Those are cool...but not tall enough. Want to be able to stand up in it...to cook and change in and out of gear.

Anything north of 3k lbs on a regular basis, I don't even want to mess with a midsize. Fullsize towing, especially with a long and tall load like that, is almost a joy.
Taco is border-line. Might be ok every once in a awhile. But 1/2 ton for sure. Be like comparing towing our Bobcats with the F350 Dump vs the Chevy C70. With the C70 you would forget it was back there.

I towed 6,000 with my 2002 blazer once. Whoa boy, never again. Enough power but not very stable.
Did about 3800 lbs of gravel in my 1st Gen Taco...which is rated at 5000 lbs. It was not happy. Thank goodness it was only for a few miles. Under 2000 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for it.

Why on Earth it is rated at 5000 lbs max is beyond me...no way that truck should attempt that.

Last edited:
I saw a ZR2 yesterday at Home Depot. Good looking truck. But the side profile looked off. That front end just seemed weird with that bumper. Regular Colorado, I’m good with. I could do without that dumb bed bar as well.

This was an older one... 2005-ish... wish I had grabbed a pic.
I see. I’ve randomly been looking at Rangers of that vintage as well. Maybe 2010 or so. I like how they looked.

@Clutch - I think the Rangers until they were discontinued, we’re about the size of the 1st gen? I think 2012 was the last year, which isn’t that old. Just another option to pile onto the list. :D

I see. I’ve randomly been looking at Rangers of that vintage as well. Maybe 2010 or so. I like how they looked.

@Clutch - I think the Rangers until they were discontinued, we’re about the size of the 1st gen? I think 2012 was the last year, which isn’t that old. Just another option to pile onto the list. :D
Ex-girlfriend had a Ranger, didn't feel it was built as well as a Toyota.

Mine is running and driving really well. Tack welding the steering shaft has made a huge difference...no longer having to make minor corrections constantly while driving down the interstate. Goes in tomorrow morning for alignment, was waiting to see if the 881 springs were going to work before I did that.

Last edited:
This was an older one... 2005-ish... wish I had grabbed a pic.
Those are good looking trucks.

I saw a ZR2 yesterday at Home Depot. Good looking truck. But the side profile looked off. That front end just seemed weird with that bumper. Regular Colorado, I’m good with. I could do without that dumb bed bar as well.
The Chevy's are right up my alley for low key looks.

My first car was a 95 zr2 reg cab. I liked it but with it's 31*10.5 bfg at's it was worthless on anything more slippery than a paved road with morning dew on it. It's winter performance was embarrassing. It also got 14mpg, the same as my current truck.