Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
It's only farkle if it's not useful or you never leave the mall parking lot.

View attachment 483262

Cool! Finally got the Nest mounted to the new rig.

I have all that stuff on that Ranger, but like it hidden within the bed. If I were to restore the Nest, would color match it to the truck so it would be more stealth. Highly doubtful I'll restore it though. Was a time wanted to sell the ARB and find a bumper that was more stock looking, or do a hidden winch. But I don't even need a winch.

Elite_FBumper_ToyotaTacoma_9504.jpg

If I get new truck might not even put on a camper shell. As would keep the bed open for hauling the dirt bike for day trips. Do those the most. For camping think I am pretty much sold on a trailer of some sorts to carry all the gear and to camp out of.

I like those V-Noses...a counter and a couple cabenits is all I really need. Either fold down bunks or use the cots I already have. Cheap too.

Since I daily the truck...be nice to not haul around all that gear.

images

63901a9511913b05f7b759cbf04c5c61.jpg

Attachments

• 1245.jpg
    1245.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 7

phsycle

Adventurer
That is too much expo-bling for me.

Stock, no lift, a hi-rise camper shell,, and call it good.

No US Rangers pics with that combo yet....best I could do for now.

IMG_1020.jpg

ford-px-ranger-workstyle-xtra-cab-white.jpg

I like that picture @phsycle posted up. Blue with silver steelies, looks really good to me. Always wanted a blue vehicle...we had just about every other color.

6a00d83451b3c669e2022ad362a67c200c-800wi

If you like blue, fortunately, Toyota will have the Cavalry Blue available in AC TRD Sport trim. You should be able to pick one up next year for close to $30k. That’s 6MT, no options. Like what I got except DC. I bet they’d even incentivize more after the Ranger hits the market.

Clutch

<---Pass
If you like blue, fortunately, Toyota will have the Cavalry Blue available in AC TRD Sport trim. You should be able to pick one up next year for close to $30k. That’s 6MT, no options. Like what I got except DC. I bet they’d even incentivize more after the Ranger hits the market.
Blazing Blue is probably my favorite out of all of them. Looks quite sharp in the sun.

DEB07281-1961-4089-AC48-B671738025DA.jpeg

Clutch

<---Pass
Too loud for me. Especially with that hood scoop. Reminds me of those stupid X-Runners Toyota put out a few years ago. But maybe that’s your thing.

:D

2019-toyota-tacoma-xrunner-4.jpg

Ha ha dork!

I like it in TRD trim...can't find a picture of AC. The black flares and chin thing or whatever it is called, has a nice contrast.

Not sure if I would get sick of it or not. Probably just do Silver or Mag Grey to keep it lowkey. Our Trooper is white...it is "ok" not sure if I want another white vehicle though.

AT21174078-bl-p1.jpg

Always wanted silver too. Was looking for a Silver one before I bought Jade Mica Green...but my current truck fell into my lap.

dsc_0109-jpg.1455117

Mag Grey is pretty sharp too. Pretty sure these are 17" wheels I could live with those. The Sport's look funky to me.

20160819_135210.jpg

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
Ha ha dork!

I like it in TRD trim...can't find a picture of AC. The black flares and chin thing or whatever it is called, has a nice contrast.

Not sure if I would get sick of it or not. Probably just do Silver or Mag Grey to keep it lowkey. Our Trooper is white...it is "ok" not sure if I want another white vehicle though.

AT21174078-bl-p1.jpg

Always wanted silver too. Was looking for a Silver one before I bought Jade Mica Green...but my current truck fell into my lap.

dsc_0109-jpg.1455117

Mag Grey is pretty sharp too. Pretty sure these are 17" wheels I could live with those. The Sport's look funky to me.

View attachment 483317

I’m not a fan of the Sport rims. Those TRD Pro’s are 4Runner rims and indeed 17”.

I’d like to see how FJ Cruiser 17” Steelies look. I like the sizing and load range of the17” tires. I wouldn’t mind picking up some 255/75/17, stock Rubicon size. Comes in load range C and it’s right in between 32 and 33”.

Wallygator

Adventurer
Looks like Toyota has a new "SX" package that can be ordered on the SR's. Looks like you can now get the V6 in the SR ACLB, didn't think you could before, had to order the DCSB to get the V6.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/ne...ota-tacoma-4runner-and-tundra#image=100672539

"The SX package costs $560 and adds black fender flares, mirror caps, door handles, headlight bezels, and 16-inch alloy wheels. The package is optional on the base Tacoma SR trim level with either rear- or four-wheel drive and can be had in one of six exterior colors."

There are the black fender flares and 16" wheels that I wanted @phsycle

2019-Toyota-Tacoma-SX-Package-parked-in-open-field_o.jpg

I will pass on the V6 Camry motor and poor transmission programming. Toyota trucks used to be good, now they are just ok.

Wallygator

Adventurer
If I get new truck might not even put on a camper shell. As would keep the bed open for hauling the dirt bike for day trips. Do those the most. For camping think I am pretty much sold on a trailer of some sorts to carry all the gear and to camp out of.

63901a9511913b05f7b759cbf04c5c61.jpg

Could use a hitch carrier for the bike. This is my plan for when I don't want to trailer the bike for more remote camping. Will camp in/out of the 4runner and hitch carrier the dirt bike.

Clutch

<---Pass
I will pass on the V6 Camry motor and poor transmission programming. Toyota trucks used to be good, now they are just ok.

Yeah there is that. Was reading up on TW how well they pull 6X10-12 enclosed trailers....not well. Can get a F150 2.7 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8 for the same price too.

Could use a hitch carrier for the bike. This is my plan for when I don't want to trailer the bike for more remote camping. Will camp in/out of the 4runner and hitch carrier the dirt bike.

I have tried hitch carriers, later on in the day after this was taken the bike rolled off and fell into the truck smashing the rear window. $600 window on a shell I paid $150 for...

Partially my buddy's fault he suggested the the tie-downs pull the bike straight down, we welded rings int he middle of the rack, then I didn't put it in gear and forgot to strap the wheels. That and the eddy that forms behind the vehicle covers the bike with grime...I know they are dirt bikes but like to start out with a clean bike. One of the reasons I want an enclosed trailer. Gets some of the gear out of the truck too.

10409133_10153864037654630_5620640423914728246_n.jpg

They kill your departure angle too.

2801585417_dbf5ce62d9_b.jpg

Buddy of mine in Flagstaff was coming back from Baja, and his broke on the highway...and dragged the bike for a bit before he noticed it.

Ground through the triple clamp and fork tube. I'll stay with trailers.

36523625_192722928241414_2848142223004925952_n.jpg

Though...what I have now works great...not sure the little annoyances are worth $40K to fix them... :)

27657135_10156172110869630_5224632086071235944_n.jpg

14713661_10154666457704630_7404119941895749953_n.jpg

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Yeah there is that. Was reading up on TW how well they pull 6X10-12 enclosed trailers....not well. Can get a F150 2.7 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8 for the same price too.

I have tried hitch carriers, later on in the day after this was taken the bike rolled off and fell into the truck smashing the rear window. $600 window on a shell I paid $150 for...

Partially my buddy's fault he suggested the the tie-downs pull the bike straight down, we welded rings int he middle of the rack, then I didn't put it in gear and forgot to strap the wheels. That and the eddy that forms behind the vehicle covers the bike with grime...I know they are dirt bikes but like to start out with a clean bike. One of the reasons I want an enclosed trailer. Gets some of the gear out of the truck too.

10409133_10153864037654630_5620640423914728246_n.jpg

They kill your departure angle too.

2801585417_dbf5ce62d9_b.jpg

Buddy of mine in Flagstaff was coming back from Baja, and his broke on the highway...and dragged the bike for a bit before he noticed it.

Ground through the triple clamp and fork tube. I'll stay with trailers.

36523625_192722928241414_2848142223004925952_n.jpg

Though...what I have now works great...not sure the little annoyances are worth $40K to fix them... :)

27657135_10156172110869630_5224632086071235944_n.jpg

14713661_10154666457704630_7404119941895749953_n.jpg

Yeah between the new Taco and the F150 I hate to say it but it would be the F150 for me.

So wow, you have had a few friends with some bad luck with their hitch carriers. Only one of my friends lost his on the highway but it was totally his fault. Bike was in the middle of the highway. He got lucky and nothing happened to the bike. Your setup now is pretty sweet. I was only suggesting the hitch carrier cuz I thought you would miss having a cap. I didn't know you had a Wildernest.

Anyway, I also carry my 250X on a utility trailer. Part of me wants to build a rack on it and throw a tent on it. Another part wants to keep it light and fast and put the tent on the 4runner and use a hitch carrier. I do know the enclosed trailers are very nice and versatile. Can really set them up.

http://www.advantagetrailer.com/product-detail/26102/custom-16-motocross-bike-hauler/

That example is a little big but what a start to a great base camp. Throw in a cot or fold down bunks...a water system...solar on top....nice.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yeah between the new Taco and the F150 I hate to say it but it would be the F150 for me.

So wow, you have had a few friends with some bad luck with their hitch carriers. Only one of my friends lost his on the highway but it was totally his fault. Bike was in the middle of the highway. He got lucky and nothing happened to the bike. Your setup now is pretty sweet. I was only suggesting the hitch carrier cuz I thought you would miss having a cap. I didn't know you had a Wildernest.

Anyway, I also carry my 250X on a utility trailer. Part of me wants to build a rack on it and throw a tent on it. Another part wants to keep it light and fast and put the tent on the 4runner and use a hitch carrier. I do know the enclosed trailers are very nice and versatile. Can really set them up.

http://www.advantagetrailer.com/product-detail/26102/custom-16-motocross-bike-hauler/

That example is a little big but what a start to a great base camp. Throw in a cot or fold down bunks...a water system...solar on top....nice.

Be really hard switching brands since I have owned Toyotas for so long, but I look at the prices and the capacities. the F150 just seems like the better buy, and especially for what I need it to do. I like the Tundra's but, man...not sure I could live with the lack luster fuel economy. For that kind of mpg's, you should buy a 3/4 ton.

Rack was a good suggestion. I like the "idea" of a rack, since you can ditch towing a trailer, but...

That rack I had, was a $50 CL find...thought I would get that and try it out before I bought a really good one. First day I had it...pitched the bike off it...which was totally our fault.

"ok I am good!" I'll stick with my trailer. ;):D

Had another friend who just got finished putting fresh plastics and graphics on his...popped out of the straps, and dragged it down the road. He wasn't using carabiner tie-downs. My Flagstaff buddy, his rack was an old aluminum one...had miles and miles with it with no problems. Then one day it failed. While it doesn't happen often..when the bikes fall off, it isn't pretty...where if they fell in a trailer. Damage isn't usually too-too bad.

That trailer is really nice, have a few buddy's that have built their own. One had a Tacoma and trailer like my setup, but recently did a 7X14 and had to buy a F150 5.0 to pull it.

24058756_10208088418088063_2545433612376776861_n.jpg

Probably will end up with one eventually. But right now if I went out and bought one, would have to get a bigger truck to pull it. Where what I have now works pretty damn well, and is paid for. It always circles back to that. ;):D

Last edited:

tacollie

Glamper
My buddy built a sweet bummer mount for his camper. It actually uses two 2" receivers. One under each wheel. He built his camper out of a budget truck. I think it isn't aerodynamic enough to get the bikes dirty.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181111-085217.png
    Screenshot_20181111-085217.png
    2 MB · Views: 23

Clutch

<---Pass
My buddy built a sweet bummer mount for his camper. It actually uses two 2" receivers. One under each wheel. He built his camper out of a budget truck. I think it isn't aerodynamic enough to get the bikes dirty.

Nice Beta!

That is another thought, do a cheap box van for camping only. Think I would still keep the scooters on the inside.

Best-Enclosed-Trailer-Camper-Coversion-Ideas-1.jpg

phsycle

Adventurer

N/A since @Clutch will be getting a MT, if he goes that way.

The engine isn’t bad. It fits the truck just fine. If I towed on a regular basis, I’d definitely go full size with a proper engine for hauling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier