Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
If I towed on a regular basis, I’d definitely go full size with a proper engine for hauling.

Usually it is once or twice a week during riding season. Which is darn near year round here. Might be 6-7 weeks where it is too miserable to ride.

Another reason I am looking at enclosed trailers, be nice to change into the riding gear out of the elements. Right now it is in the 30's in the mornings wee bit chilly standing on a mat out side changing clothes.

phsycle

Adventurer
Usually it is once or twice a week during riding season. Which is darn near year round here. Might be 6-7 weeks where it is too miserable to ride.

Another reason I am looking at enclosed trailers, be nice to change into the riding gear out of the elements. Right now it is in the 30's in the mornings wee bit chilly standing on a mat out side changing clothes.

Depending on the roads, that may still work. But I thought you were just loading the bikes on the bed during the week.

Clutch

<---Pass
Depending on the roads, that may still work. But I thought you were just loading the bikes on the bed during the week.

Generally I go to two different areas, one is an hour away, the other is 30 minutes...a couple climbs to go over but nothing crazy. Speed limit is 45-65 depending where you are. So not really hammering.

Depends on the weather. Cold and/or raining take the trailer. Other thought is still keep my 5X8' utility trailer for day trips. That trailer is super useful...hate to get rid of it.

36224280_10156522124029630_7485467254864216064_n.jpg

From what I am reading on TW, most are hauling somewhat heavy and flat noise trailers. I would hard pressed to be at 2000 lbs, including the the weight of the trailer. Basically still using all the same gear that I haul now, but just tossing it in an enclosed trailer. What concerns me is the wind resistance, why I am looking at v-nose.

A Tacoma "should" work...well below towing capacity, plus I don't drive aggressively. Rarely go above 65. Try to avoid the interstate as much as possible...most of my driving is back country 2-Lane roads.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I’m not a fan of the Sport rims. Those TRD Pro’s are 4Runner rims and indeed 17”.

I’d like to see how FJ Cruiser 17” Steelies look. I like the sizing and load range of the17” tires. I wouldn’t mind picking up some 255/75/17, stock Rubicon size. Comes in load range C and it’s right in between 32 and 33”.

Never paid too much attention to 17's...since I have that old skool thought of more sidewall rubber is better. But that looks like a great size. Lots of tire options too, that I can see.

phsycle

Adventurer
Generally I go to two different areas, one is an hour away, the other is 30 minutes...a couple climbs to go over but nothing crazy. Speed limit is 45-65 depending where you are. So not really hammering.

Depends on the weather. Cold and/or raining take the trailer. Other thought is still keep my 5X8' utility trailer for day trips. That trailer is super useful...hate to get rid of it.

36224280_10156522124029630_7485467254864216064_n.jpg

From what I am reading on TW, most are hauling somewhat heavy and flat noise trailers. I would hard pressed to be at 2000 lbs, including the the weight of the trailer. Basically still using all the same gear that I haul now, but just tossing it in an enclosed trailer. What concerns me is the wind resistance, why I am looking at v-nose.

A Tacoma "should" work...well below towing capacity, plus I don't drive aggressively. Rarely go above 65. Try to avoid the interstate as much as possible...most of my driving is back country 2-Lane roads.

Sounds like it would work out for you, then. I'd also keep that open trailer as well.

Never paid too much attention to 17's...since I have that old skool thought of more sidewall rubber is better. But that looks like a great size. Lots of tire options too, that I can see.

I like stock rims, but can't seem to find a 17" that I like. The two I like are the 4Runner Trail and Pro rims. Pro's are everywhere, it seems. I may try to give the Trail rims a shot.

tacollie

Glamper
255/75 17 is great size. I really like them Make sure you check tread depth. Some of the tires in that size have a shallower tread. I know Hankooks ATM and Duratracs are shallower in that size.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
255/75 17 is great size. I really like them Make sure you check tread depth. Some of the tires in that size have a shallower tread. I know Hankooks ATM and Duratracs are shallower in that size.

Someone's selling a set of 6 KM2's here right now in that size for cheap. I'm super tempted to buy them, but never really liked those tires.

Clutch

<---Pass
Lord almighty... 75 bones for some rubber/plastic skirting??? I thought you were cheap dude....

Pretty sure I could find some neoprene or LDPE sheets here and do them myself.

Thought it was a good deal, looks better than the originals...plus saves me from fussing with it and a time saver, just slap them on.

Some things I'll spend money on, other things I won't. :D Supporting a small entrepreneur is good too.

Last edited:

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
Thought it was a good deal, looks better than the originals...plus saves me from fussing with it and a time saver, just slap them on.

Some things I'll spend money on, other things I won't. :D Supporting a small entrepreneur is good too.

Nothing wrong with supporting the little guys, I didn't even think of that to be honest.

Clutch

<---Pass
Nothing wrong with supporting the little guys, I didn't even think of that to be honest.

Being a small business owner, there are some things I don't mind spending on, especially if it is from a guy doing it out of his garage. One of those, why didn't I think of that!? Over the years I have tried different product ideas, but nothing has really taken off. Just need that one "widget"...ya know?

That is the nice things about Toyotas...bunch of aftermarket support, from both big companies and the little guy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Snow tires are on...looks like we are getting some freezing rain/snow/sleet soon.

As I was tossing on the tires, the splash guards showed up. Well worth the money, IMO.

46624972_10156877928219630_4694785698505424896_n.jpg

46629518_10156877928289630_3315741209510543360_n.jpg

46513069_10156877928394630_5249227905828913152_n.jpg

46474603_10156877928479630_5340524548171235328_n.jpg

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
Yeah between the new Taco and the F150 I hate to say it but it would be the F150 for me.

I begrudgingly admire some of the qualities and user options of the F-150: rear locker, different engine options (v8, two different turbo v6's, diesel), different payload packages. Ford has done a great job with making the F-150 flex to a accommodate different user needs.

F-150 2.7l ecoboost for a somewhat fuel efficient 4x4 general-purpose vehicle, I could see the value of that. For any sort of heavy hauling or work, the efficiency advantages of the ecoboost all but disappear, and I'd rather have a Tundra because I do think it's a better-built truck.

I want to like the new Tacoma, but I just can't get o board with the new 3.5l v6. I've driven it a bunch of different times and I just don think it belongs in a truck, even a midsized one. The part-time Atkinson cycle sounds good in theory, but the engine's high-reving nature makes me wonder how efficient the truck will be in the long run, especially when expo'd up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online