Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Clutch

<---Pass
https://www.expeditionportal.com/fo...kap-to-camper-conversion.199313/#post-2550070

Not sure if you guys have seen this thread. I like what he's going for here. Something between a simple truck cap and hardsided 4000pound behemoth.

I like that conversion. I know hold to weld steel...thought of building my own Callen style too.

There's a couple i know who pull one off those with a tacoma. That trailer had way more clearance than the tacoma. Seemed silly to me because they never took it on a rough road and could barely back it into a camping spot.

Looking at those TT's, think they are too nice for me, think I would end up ruining it with my hams for hands. I need something I can clean with a leaf blower if you now what I mean. :D

Have been looking at deckover snowmobile trailers too, those come high clearance from the factory. There is a dealer right by the house and saw one sitting in the lot yesterday coming home from work...hey there is another idea...that might work.

Featherlite-Snowmobile-Trailers-07.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Looking at those TT's, think they are too nice for me, think I would end up ruining it with my hams for hands.

So? Any one that camps with kids or dogs faces the same thing. We do. The trailer gets dirty. Then we clean it. No biggie. If you're concerned about it maybe recover or just cover the cushions in vinyl or something?

It's meant to be used. Enjoy it.

How bout a small tt / toy hauler...

https://www.rvusa.com/forest-river-wolf-pup-17rp-2017-toy-hauler-lodi-ca-2380151

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
We camp in a 17 ft Jayco Kiwi high bred trailer. Being 17 ft long closed up makes it easy to tow, and it fold out to have a queen and double beds. The dinette also turns in to a queen bed. We tow it with an '05 Tundra and it is relatively easy. I long for a light pop up camper, but this has worked great for us even in really cold weather and snow. I made fleece inserts to cover the ceilings of the tent beds and that stopped the condensation.

1541703944956.png

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
So? Any one that camps with kids or dogs faces the same thing. We do. The trailer gets dirty. Then we clean it. No biggie. If you're concerned about it maybe recover or just cover the cushions in vinyl or something?

How bout a small tt / toy hauler...

https://www.rvusa.com/forest-river-wolf-pup-17rp-2017-toy-hauler-lodi-ca-2380151
I like the toy haulers even if I don't have any toys to haul. They are built to handle more weight, have bigger tanks, and have more open space in them (for the toys), also they often come with generators like a fifth wheel.

Clutch

<---Pass

The dirt bikes are inherently dirty, drip gas and oil. You can put down some matts to catch all of mess...plus I want to change in and out my gear inside the camper. Just come back filthy. Seeing that white interior ...yeah I'll wreck it. ;)

Do like those Work and Play...more cargo trailer than camper. Seems like they could take more abuse. Some of those TT's are thrown together garbage.

img_z0b797Dh4X.jpg

We camp in a 17 ft Jayco Kiwi high bred trailer. Being 17 ft long closed up makes it easy to tow, and it fold out to have a queen and double beds. The dinette also turns in to a queen bed. We tow it with an '05 Tundra and it is relatively easy. I long for a light pop up camper, but this has worked great for us even in really cold weather and snow. I made fleece inserts to cover the ceilings of the tent beds and that stopped the condensation.

That is cool...like the tipouts.

I like when they stick them in a cargo trailer.

This seems about the right size...not too small, not too big. 1/2 ton should be tow it with ease.

I like the toy haulers even if I don't have any toys to haul. They are built to handle more weight, have bigger tanks, and have more open space in them (for the toys), also they often come with generators like a fifth wheel.

Having the whole back of it open it, makes it like a porch...toss some screens in the opening. That is pretty cool.

photo-rearscreenb.jpg

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The rear porch is a neat idea.
A Tacoma should be able to handle one, no? What is the weight on that 7x16 popout cargo trailer?

bkg

Explorer
Saw a lifted 1st Gen GMC Canyon extracab today... found myself thinking it was a damned nice looking rig...

yup... I felt that was something I needed to share. :p

phsycle

Adventurer
He had a DCSB Taco...it looked miserable just towing it down the street. He probably towed it 3-4? times with the Taco...then the Tundra showed up.

I have towed much heavier...that 19' Jayco would be a cake walk behind a F150, with a F250 wouldn't even know it was back there. Used to tow a JD 555. Not the biggest machine, but not the lightest thing either. Looked up the specs, it was 21'000 lbs. Can't remember how heavy the tilt bed trailer we used to haul it on weighed. Towed it with a Mack R-Series Tri-Axle dump (used to have a CDL)...it has been some years, but everything else feels easy to me. When we moved up here, I rented a 26' Bobtail International....biggish vehicle. Thought I may of forgot how to drive something that big, but it was like riding a bike.

12046.jpg

10491222_10152619460064630_1523248121095650589_n.jpg

Found these, they are kinda nice. Even have a toyhauler version.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/travel-trailers/flagstaff-e-pro

ImageHandler.ashx

Anything north of 3k lbs on a regular basis, I don't even want to mess with a midsize. Fullsize towing, especially with a long and tall load like that, is almost a joy.

Dry weight is under 3,000 lbs. Not bad. Seems like a nice trailer.

Have you towed 3k+ lbs with a Tacoma before? Especially a tall/long trailer? I'm guessing no.

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I towed 6,000 with my 2002 blazer once. Whoa boy, never again. Enough power but not very stable.

Clutch

<---Pass
Saw a lifted 1st Gen GMC Canyon extracab today... found myself thinking it was a damned nice looking rig...

yup... I felt that was something I needed to share. :p

I like the Colorados...have been looking at the diesels CCLB. (did I say that outloud?) :p

Those campers are massive! How about IntechRV's Explore model? Can be had with dual tip outs: http://www.intechrv.com/explore.php

Those are cool...but not tall enough. Want to be able to stand up in it...to cook and change in and out of gear.

Anything north of 3k lbs on a regular basis, I don't even want to mess with a midsize. Fullsize towing, especially with a long and tall load like that, is almost a joy.

Taco is border-line. Might be ok every once in a awhile. But 1/2 ton for sure. Be like comparing towing our Bobcats with the F350 Dump vs the Chevy C70. With the C70 you would forget it was back there.

I towed 6,000 with my 2002 blazer once. Whoa boy, never again. Enough power but not very stable.

Did about 3800 lbs of gravel in my 1st Gen Taco...which is rated at 5000 lbs. It was not happy. Thank goodness it was only for a few miles. Under 2000 lbs seems to be the sweet spot for it.

Why on Earth it is rated at 5000 lbs max is beyond me...no way that truck should attempt that.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I saw a ZR2 yesterday at Home Depot. Good looking truck. But the side profile looked off. That front end just seemed weird with that bumper. Regular Colorado, I’m good with. I could do without that dumb bed bar as well.

bkg

Explorer
I saw a ZR2 yesterday at Home Depot. Good looking truck. But the side profile looked off. That front end just seemed weird with that bumper. Regular Colorado, I’m good with. I could do without that dumb bed bar as well.
This was an older one... 2005-ish... wish I had grabbed a pic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke