cobb grill owners...

ohv

Observer
whats your pick for coal? what do you use for fire starter?
since the company folded... any recommendations for the cooking surface?

Honu

lost on the mainland
did not hear they folded to bad
I had one but had troubles with the griddle thing and the non stick ? but when I did charcoal just used briquets the competition ones I just used the stock basket and put that little basket over my burner on my stove :) worked awesome to start it up then just dropped it into the cobb :)

whats your pick for coal? what do you use for fire starter?
since the company folded... any recommendations for the cooking surface?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't have a cobb grill, but I don't use coal, seems like that would give the food a really nasty flavor, but to each their own I guess.

I use natural lump charcoal (cowboy brand, $15 for 20lb at ACE) and pine cones to start them.

huachuca

Adventurer
Why do you think Cobb has folded? I just called the 800 number I used earlier this year to order a few items and got a connection albeit an automated one (didn't try to reach a warm body). Cobb is an international company, South Africa based I think. They have had problems with a US distributor from time to time since I bought mine several years back but someone always seems to pick it up.

800 755 0384 http://www.cobb-america.com/

http://www.cobbglobal.com/cobb-international/

After placing the briquettes (coconut shell if I can find it, Stubbs lump if not and Kingsford original works too) in the Cobb basket, I use my propane torch to get em going before putting the basket back in the grill base. Only takes a minute or two.

As to cooking surface, I probably use the fenced rack the most (does a great job with a pork tenderloin) but the griddle, frying pan and wok get called on as well. If the US distributor has in fact dropped the line, this could be a good chance to pick up any accessories or spare parts you may need. Most of my setup was sourced at fire sale pricing when this happened in the past.

Post back if you find Cobb is no longer available through a US distributor.

cactusjk

Explorer
Looks like Cobb has reinvented itself. Not sure if we will be able to get the new gear in the US until another distributor shows up.

huachuca

Adventurer
Cobbq was the US distributor a few years back and did dissolve or at least drop/lose their relationship with Cobb. Cobb-America is now listed as the US distributor on the parent company's website and they were good people to deal with when a purchased a couple of accessories a year or so back. Try the phone number I posted above and let us know the results.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Looks like a totally useless thing, You can buy Cast Iron Griddle Plates that are smooth on one side and have the ridges on the other that will fit on most Gas stoves or on an open fire and you can get them for 20 or 30 bucks,

huachuca

Adventurer
There's a definite learning curve in getting the most from this grill (plus you'll need several accessories) and I suspect that's why lightly used ones are often found at a good price. Most of the complaints I've heard relate to the lack of heat produced and I'd agree with that. it's forte is not boiling water or putting sear marks on a steak but, with patience, its pretty good at most cooking tasks and. with the recently introduced larger charcoal basket and a set of Grill Grates, does an acceptable job on a piece of beef.

The Cobb isn't my 'go to' (still use white gas and/or a small hibachi for most meals) but its the only stove/grill I have that can barbecue, bake, boil, grill, saute, roast. fry or smoke. That it uses very little charcoal and, even with all accessories, packs so small are added benefits. If I had to pick only one between the Cobb, Coleman, hibachi, discada or dutch oven, it would be the Cobb. Fortunately, I have room for all five.

cactusjk

Explorer
I am interested in how the larger charcoal basket and grill grate work. Any pictures and additional use feedback greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huachuca

Adventurer
The larger basket, grill grates and a huge spatula are available as a package from Cobb America If you don't mind being on their mailing list, they send out 'deals' from time to time with discounts between 15 and 25 percent and maybe free shipping with a minimum order of $50 or so.

I put the grill grates over the roasting rack and have been satisfied with the results - steaks, scallops, shrimp, kabobs, chicken breasts, pork loins etc. In all honesty, I think my old hibachi does a better job with red meat but the larger basket is a big plus for Cobb - don't know why they don't just make that standard. I'm still learning on how many briquettes to use for what temps but filling the new basket full is too many :) The grill grates are well seasoned out of the box and I've not had anything stick with just a little canola spray.

Heading out tomorrow for a few days in the Smokies for the grand daughter's first camping trip and will try to get a few pics

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier