Cold weather Overlanding tips

Blue Ridge Chair Works

Supporting Sonsor
Now the temperatures have dropped, what do you do differently to prepare for expeditions? Or do you just sit the winter out? It's one thing to have to change a flat on a beautiful warm afternoon, but another in an ice storm in the middle of nowhere!

From vehicle prep to gear recommendations - we want to know!

Photo Oct 08, 12 11 44 PM (1).jpg

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
More layers, spares of the more layers, several pairs of gloves, spare boots, buddy heater, extra cooler to keep things from freezing, 12v blanket.

I like winter camping the best. Makes you appreciate the fire more.

snowcamp082_zps4b9b5771.jpg

snowcamp088_zps882a2695.jpg

033_zps20899ed7.jpg

snowcamp094_zpsabf71957.jpg

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Couldn't say with the AT, but I used to put a layer of closed cell ensolite under the mattress between it and the fiberglass in the WilderNest in the winter. Being hung out it would get chilly from underneath. If it was really cold a wool blanket on top of the mattress, then sleeping bags instead of bedding (we used regular bed linens, not bags, normally). Otherwise, no special changes, just regular winter adjustments.

scottishpinz

Adventurer
Vehicle preparation is key. Make sure antifreeze and screen wash are suitable for expected temperatures, then some. I usually start putting screen wash in neat (good for -40C) at this time of year. Sure it is not going to be that cold even when I head for Eastern Europe, but there is diluted stuff still in the system and water frozen in the pipes stops the washer jets from working. Driving on dirty roads in traffic can use loads of screen wash so I tend to carry 5l spare as even road side garages run out and their stuff is often only good to about -15C. Keep on top of the usual stuff like oil and batteries. Switch over to winter tyres (snowflake marking) and check pressures as the temperature falls.

Keeping the vehicle clean can be hard when roads are salted but at a minimum check windows and lights are kept clear when out and about.

I also put some silicon based trim cleaner on all door seals to prevent them freezing a door stuck. If you don't have keyless entry then lube in the lock mechanism is a good idea too.

At high latitudes it gets dark real early in the winter so having a torch, warning beacon and preferably a head torch for any road side repairs or even just searching in the back for things. I like to keep the fuel tank at least half full as I don't usually carry a spare can. If you do have spare cans and run diesel then make sure you switch them out to winter grade fuel (should be what's sold at the pumps during the winter)

I carry a broad long handled snow shovel, not the most compact of things but can shift a fair bit faster than a small folding shovel. It is good to know where your recovery / tow attachments are, hopefully for helping others although you may be the unlucky one needing a pull.

My van has a Webasto heater which sees a lot of use during winter camps. It can run all night if needed although I've not ever had to do that yet. Because the heater fan is electric I run it from a leisure battery to preserve the main battery for vehicle starting. Jump leads are again carried in the hope of being able to help others, but it makes asking for a jump start easier as I have the equipment.

As well as the obvious warm clothes, plenty of food and ability to make warm drinks I like to have a few movies or TV programs loaded on the iPad to pass the time on the long dark evenings. If I'm lucky I'll be too busy watching aurora or photographing the stars!
IMG_5337_filtered.jpg

hour

Observer
I camp in the winter at ~8500ft and basically do the same thing as I always do - bring way too much crap. In the summer I can easily walk a mile or two to a nearby cabin, but I noticed today shooting up there that every single 'residence' was boarded up or completely unplowed, and no tire tracks in sight. A blown engine or transmission, failed alternator, or dead battery, could equal dead me (this is always solo, er with my dogs)

That said, I take extra care to make sure everything is tip top on my tow vehicle in the winter - no small feat when good DIY maintenance days are few and far in between with shorter days and weather.

I usually only bring up one pair of clothes for an extended summer weekend. I don't get any gratification out of slipping in to clean clothes when I'm covered in sunscreen, bug spray, and campfire smoke. Winter though... for a 3 night trip, I bring 6 pairs of thick socks, snowboard pants, two jackets and liners, poncho liner, base layer, two stocking hats, extra blankets in addition to 0*F rated sleeping bag, 3 pairs of gloves, hot hands packets, zippo hand warmer, and likely another half dozen things that are escaping me right now.

While I've recently upgraded to a new pop up trailer with 20# of propane and furance, I still carry a Mr Buddy heater and 3 cylinders. Logic is that if negative temperatures and elevation work against me I'll have an easier time warming up a small cylinder than a 20# tank. I also take a 100w flexible panel to complement the 200w of rigid panels on the roof of my vehicle since there's less sun to be captured during the day. I'd kick myself forever if I ran out of juice on the trailer and couldn't run the heater despite having the propane to do so.

That's really it. I figure we (dogs and I) would starve to death before freezing. There's a ton of wood to be gathered up there and I have a few ways to collect/chop/ignite, so my primary focus is staying warm overnight in the trailer and being able to drive out even if my car's electrical is crippled.

What I don't take is my Whynter 62DZ fridge/freezer.. and I absolutely love not having that #$@! thing in the car.

jpachard

Adventurer
Camp in the winter all the time. Added supplies are as follows:
-40C Western Mountaineering sleeping bag.
warm drinks.
ability to make a good fire.
extra snacks(for me and the dog).
good food.
Other than that not much different. love camping in the winter!

Plus my Blue Ridge table, love that thing!

Cheers, James

Last edited:

altaboy

Observer
I'm with jpachard on this....get the warmest sleeping bag you can....never too warm.

Also, I'm a believer in hunkering down for the long haul (especially if rig stuck/broken down). To that end, I would invest in a robust 4 season stand up tent. Stand up because if you spend 3 days in that sucker......

Finally, as others (may) have stated, a delorme in reach would be nice.

Chipatolte

Waterproof boots (preferably with good insulation to -40, and steel toe is a plus) are highly, highly recommended. Snowboard pants work incredibly well for keeping you warm. And I always grab a big bag of those hand warmers to keep the lady friend happy.

Oh, and a lot of whiskey and hot apple cider.

altaboy

Observer
BTW: Steel toed boot are not the ticket for cold weather.....steel will frost bight you faster than......

If you want cold weather boots.......sorels are the affordable go to. Get a second liner as usually that is the failure point (too warm...sweat). Thus dry one set of liners while using the second.

If it's like really cold (50 below+), you want army surplus mickey mouse boots. Just be aware that they are all rubber, thus body water will collect....hang 'em out at night then knock the ice out in the AM.

bigskypylot

Explorer
Out in Montana a lot of areas are closed but can still manage to find some places to go. This was in November `15 out in the Highlands north of Twin Bridges when we were elk hunting. I should have had chains with me that time. The STTs did pretty well however. I slept in the back of my rig while my buddy and his kids slept in the trailer/camper. They kept it about 110° in that thing with the wood stove. Pretty cool set up. His 2500 CTD did well. Some of the switchbacks were sketchy with trailer but did fine. As for tips, many have already been mentioned. Layers and redundancy. A good battery as well. Have winter survival kit put together. So many to list

FB_IMG_1485371255970.jpg

FB_IMG_1485371075736.jpg

FB_IMG_1485371063840.jpg

FB_IMG_1485370910661.jpg

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Winter camping is great. No people!! The thing I hate is getting out of the tent in the morning. Bbbrzz. Having extra firewood!!! Whatever you think you need. Double it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AaronK

Explorer
My favorite time of year. No people, no bugs, no dust!

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne